PDA

View Full Version : New Melones Trout, 10/27/16

michaelnel
10-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Rod and I decided to tough out the weather today and made another trip to New Melones in search of big trout.

Fairly early this morning we got a nice one, fishing 80 feet deep over a 300' hole. The fish slammed a large cop car needlefish with the siwash hook removed and a bucktail & mylar covered treble hook installed in its place (see John at Glory Hole Sports, he can set you up with them). We weighed the fish on Rod's digital scale at 4.1 lbs, although Glory Hole weighed it several hours later at 3lbs 14oz. Either way, nice fish!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Fishing/New-Melones-Reservoir/i-cqHBvfh/0/O/4-pounder.jpg

Then we had a long dry spell that was actually quite wet... the rain squalls that passed over us were pretty impressive. Luckily Rod has a nice top with side curtains on his Alumaweld Stryker, so we were able to stay pretty dry and comfy while watching the four downrigger rods do absolutely nothing.

Eventually another rod went off, and it was kind of a dink, 2.1lbs. I think Rod has a picture of it... its gut was really swollen, probably with shad.

So, another day on the lake, not our best day, but still, those two fish are better than a 3lb average, and on a very crappy day.

More next week!

MKE
10-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Another good job and nice report.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Tifoso
10-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Beautiful fish! :vino: