PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger setup questions for trout trolling in the eastern sierra

Joey805
12-20-2016, 02:50 AM
Hey guys - First time setting up some downriggers and I have a few questions...

Picked up a pair of manual Scotty 1080s at a great price. I'm going to be using them on my 14' gregor, already ordered the gunnel mounts from Gregor to get them going. I'm swapping out the wire with 150# Power Pro Downrigger Braid. Any tips on loading this braid on the rigger? I'll be using these mostly it the eastern sierra for trout on Crowley, June Lake Loop, Convict, ect. I did really good up there last season on leadcore but the fish were kinda deep at 40-90 feet in the summer and had to let out 7-10 colors of leadcore at times to get to them, which was no fun.

Did some research and ordered a pair of Blacks releases as well as a pair of Chamberlains. With that said, what size weight should I go with and what type? I see most places selling keel type weights. Since I'm running the Blacks or Chamberlains, I wouldn't be connecting the release to the fin end of the ball, correct? My braid would basically go straight to the release and then I'd attach the swivel on it directly to the ball? Last yea I remember trolling pretty slow last year with my 20HP merc, just in gear, probably at 1.3-2mph max if this info helps for ball info recommendations.

How much lead line do you let out before attaching the line to the release?

Thanks in advance for any help/tips you guys can offer this newbie downrigger fisherman. :angling:

Steve079
12-20-2016, 07:38 AM
I just switched to braid on my manual downriggers as well, I put the braid right on top of the SS cable, wasn't sure how it would work out, but there is plenty of room, and if I don't like it, I still have the SS cable under it.

fishwrong2
12-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Sounds like you've done enough research to answer most of your own questions, but maybe I can add some help.

For spooling braid, I just removed the cable (wrapped it onto a 5 gallon bucket in case I need it later) and wound on the braid on the spool. I've got Cannons which have a hole in the spool to anchor the braid, and then just wind in on. You'll have to reset the counter.

As for weights, it's personal choice in my opinion. I've used pancakes, balls, tear-drop etc. Only difference I've found is when running deep and fast the pancakes don't blow back as far, but that shouldn't be a major issue. As for size, 6 or 8 pounds works for the depths you're talking about. I've had 10s and 12s and I don't know that the more vertical angle was worth the extra winding effort to get them up from deep sets.

Setbacks from the weight is another personal choice. If fish are spooky (Tahoe as an example) longer setbacks help, but there's a trade-off when using multiple downriggers and turning with tangles if you get long setbacks. For the most part 20-30' seems to be enough once you're 30' or deeper.

Releases is another choice. I've gone to the grip releases but changed to longer leaders (3-4'). With the longer leaders, you can see the action of the lure and hits better. With the Chaimberlans or Blacks, you don't see the hit, just get the release. By all accounts they work well, just another preference issue.

You've got some great water to fish. Enjoy it.

hooks
12-20-2016, 10:10 AM
With manual downriggers you might want to check these out. Saves a lot of cranking. I use them with my electric Cannons.

You can use different clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DoOpcp8uw&t=6s

Steve079
12-20-2016, 04:26 PM
There are possible downsides. One, I'm told stacker clips don't work on braid. I use them to attach my release up on the line, so I can keep the weight in the water, helps keep my small boat running somewhat straight when resetting lines, second using shuttle hawks can be a cause line wear, from what I read on another post, and blow back can be worse then SS.
But, the fact that it is easier to break, is why I chose it. Small boats, big submerged trees, and hung down rigger weight can be dangerous. Flick of the wrist with my knife, I'm free.

michaelnel
12-20-2016, 04:52 PM
You could use snubbers between your weight and the clip on your cable. Bottom Line Tackle has snubbers from 16 to 30 inches. I use his 22" ones. That will allow you to keep the weight in the water and connect your release clip to the junction of the snubber and the line.

I am convinced snubbers have saved my DR weights several times, too.

http://www.bottomlinetackle.com/downriggerproduc/page2.html

michaelnel
12-21-2016, 06:35 AM
I just switched to braid on my manual downriggers as well, I put the braid right on top of the SS cable, wasn't sure how it would work out, but there is plenty of room, and if I don't like it, I still have the SS cable under it.

One thing to remember about spooling the braid on top of the SS... your depth counter accuracy will be affected due to the effectively larger diameter of the spool. Not a lot, and they aren't super accurate anyway, but you might check calibration by letting your weights down with the boat stationary and check the depth of the weights with your fishfinder as a comparison check with the reading on the DR.

Jetspray
12-21-2016, 06:36 PM
With manual downriggers you might want to check these out. Saves a lot of cranking. I use them with my electric Cannons.

You can use different clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DoOpcp8uw&t=6sBeat me to it Don, the only thing I did to mine is add a Sep's clip and put a hold back (two holes with a loop around the end to keep the plate on the wire).........Jetspray

Steve079
12-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Beat me to it Don, the only thing I did to mine is add a Mepps clip and put a hold back (two holes with a loop around the end to keep the plate on the wire).........Jetspray

I did that to my shuttlehawks, after watching Stonesfan lose a couple at Pardee or Camanche. Good idea and simple to do.

One other thing to think about, which I did one down rigger to late, is to disengage your depth counter, before adding your braid on top of the SS cable. It will save you 10 minutes of twidling your fingers and cursing at that little bitty wheel back to zero...

michaelnel
12-21-2016, 09:08 PM
One other thing to think about, which I did one down rigger to late, is to disengage your depth counter, before adding your braid on top of the SS cable. It will save you 10 minutes of twidling your fingers and cursing at that little bitty wheel back to zero...

Good idea. What I have been doing is chucking up a short length of rubber fuel line in an electric drill. Then you can push the fuel line against the nub on the end of the counter spool and rapidly run it up or down as needed.

Maxumfishin
12-22-2016, 07:30 PM
My fishing buddy just bought me two 10# pancake weights and I'll never go back. They run straight down and the hum I had from the cable is now gone. Not real clear on the benefits of braided but I'm not using it and now have no reason to. I run my release line to a stacker clip above the weight. Reason being I have hit bottom to many times and lost my gear. Recently tested out the "Swarm" by WiggleFish and landed a nice fish followed by getting to shallow and loosing the $30.00 assembly. Put the stacker and 3' leader to the release about 2' above the weight. It will allow you some room for error. best of luck.

Doxy
03-31-2017, 10:19 AM
Where do you find "Mepps clip"? I can find lures but no downrigger releases.

fishwrong2
03-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Never heard of a Mepps clip. You can find Sep's pro-fishing releases on-line.

Then again lots of things I've never heard of so maybe someone else can chime in if they know.

Good luck.

SuperDave
03-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Where do you find "Mepps clip"? I can find lures but no downrigger releases.
I believe that the clip that Jetspray is referring to isn't a downrigger release clip but an office supply paper clip that keeps the shuttle hawk from falling off your cable and floating to the bottom. Its purpose is to close the slot that the shuttle hawk slides over the downrigger cable.

Doxy
03-31-2017, 03:13 PM
Got it. I just use those rubber wrist bracelet things. So he is talking about those binder clips? That is a pretty good idea. But what is a better release than the Shasta tackle ones that come with the Shuttle Hawk? The line tends to slide in the ones that come with the Shuttle Hawk.

Jetspray
03-31-2017, 06:47 PM
I believe that the clip that Jetspray is referring to isn't a downrigger release clip but an office supply paper clip that keeps the shuttle hawk from falling off your cable and floating to the bottom. Its purpose is to close the slot that the shuttle hawk slides over the downrigger cable.
Thanks for the help Dave, I am in error it is not Mepp's it is Sep's that I use because they are adjustable and padded not a straight clip. I use a duo lock through the holes. Here are some of the examples of the Sep's I use........Jetspray

http://www.sepsprofishing.com/cart/catalog/Downrigger_Release_and_Stacker-3-1.html

Jetspray
03-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Got it. I just use those rubber wrist bracelet things. So he is talking about those binder clips? That is a pretty good idea. But what is a better release than the Shasta tackle ones that come with the Shuttle Hawk? The line tends to slide in the ones that come with the Shuttle Hawk.They are just not as adjustable as the Sep's with pads. I loop the line with about 4 or 5 twists and set it in the pads. We troll for size but too much tension is a non release for most trout, unless you are talking Tahoe or Pyramid size players.........Jetspray

Doxy
04-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the information. Purchased some generic Sep's releases (maybe I will call them Mepps - Heh) from Amazon "Krazywolf Snap Weight Line Leader Release Clip". Have not got them in yet but will report back on their quality.

egore
04-04-2017, 08:58 PM
But, the fact that it is easier to break, is why I chose it. Small boats, big submerged trees, and hung down rigger weight can be dangerous. Flick of the wrist with my knife, I'm free.

There are options for break away clips on the attachment point for the weights. I use the plastic type from Cannon on my BigJon down riggers in case of a snag.

I have used many types of releases and found Blacks to have the most consistent release for any type of fish. They work on everything from Kokanee to Macks. As long as a lop is formed with the line with a few twists prior to placing it on the bail they are flawless.

I grew up using Roemer releases and they are more complex but very nice releases. The pad type gave me inconsistent results so they sit in the tackle box unused.

Jetspray
04-05-2017, 03:33 AM
Reason I like the pad type is that they can be easily replaced when worn (I carry them in my OMG box at camp) and they can be quickly adjusted by moving the small spring in the middle of the clip. I use various sizes of lines on different setups at times on my boat and this helps. As far as weights getting snagged, the last good one I had was on Eagle lake and it was an anchor rope that I could see on the bottom real fun to play with that. We also have lots of guys here who like to bounce DR weights on the bottom and they make pipe types and break away releases for them with light mono line............Jetspray