PDA

View Full Version : Shoulda gone fishing

Grncrestliner
01-16-2017, 05:03 PM
I started building a rod on Friday and I have the lower section built and wrapped. I mixed the U-40 Dura-Gloss at noon and applied it to the wraps on the lower half. It has not even begun to set up after almost 5 hours on the turner. The liquid left in my plastic mixing cup is still free flowing, not even sticky yet. The only thing I can come up with is I put 2 parts out of the same bottle and not 1 part hardner and 1 part resin. I know for sure I put the hardner in the cup and maybe I put in 2 parts hardner and no resin. I had a problem with a sticky syringe and went to get a new pack so I walked away and came back. I am just guessing at this point anyway. I am now cleaning the threads with thinner and going to start over on another day. I think the only way I can make sure all of the bad epoxy is gone is to replace all of the thread and start over. No material wasted just time. I am glad I did not try an intricate pattern, I just kept it simple with only 2 colors of thread. Not my first build by any means but my first big OOPS.

I also just mixed a small batch of the U-40 just now to see if it sets up tonight.

Grncrestliner
01-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Live and learn as they say. My experimental epoxy mix is setting up just fine after less than 2 hours. Nothing wrong with the U-40. Operator error all the way. Oh well there are some rain days coming up so I will now have something else to do.
I did a little reading and the general opinion is there is no shelf life on the rod finish epoxies so I don't really need to worry the material going bad.

monkey916
01-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

ghostfish_slayer
04-20-2017, 08:54 PM
it happens... i have built hundreds of rods over the years and i have had a few oops....

LD
02-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Live and learn as they say. My experimental epoxy mix is setting up just fine after less than 2 hours. Nothing wrong with the U-40. Operator error all the way. Oh well there are some rain days coming up so I will now have something else to do.
I did a little reading and the general opinion is there is no shelf life on the rod finish epoxies so I don't really need to worry the material going bad.
sorry about the accidental dislike... don't remember doing that... :baghead:

I think I was on my phone scrolling down, must of hit it then. :posteroops2lu: