PDA

View Full Version : Fishing grubs

Grncrestliner
02-17-2017, 06:12 AM
Sitting at home in this long stretch of rainy weather gives me a lot of time to go through some tackle. I used to throw a lot of 4 and 5 inch grubs for bass as well as trout. I have not done that nearly as much as I used to. When I was on Collins on Wednesday I did land one 2 pound trout on a white 5" Yamamoto grub swimming it on a 3/16 jig head. I used to also throw a lot of Kalins products but then switched mostly to the Yamamoto products. I now throw the small Keitechs more than grubs and I think I actually did at least as good on grubs if not better. I use white or very light colors more than the darker colors but I have had days on Oroville and Collins when greens or browns worked unbelievably well. They are great for people who don't target bass much because all you have to do is cast and reel. I have found on Collins that if trout are following it but not committing sometimes speeding it up will get them to hit it. For bass I reel very slowly and keep it near the bottom most of the time. In the spring on Collins I catch a fair amount of big trout (3+ pounds) on a 5" grub. My best white grub fish on Collins was a trout that weighed 8+.

Remember the Mister Twister? I used to catch a lot of bass from small ponds on those.

SuperDave
02-17-2017, 06:24 AM
I would be interested to see how you rig a 5" grub for a trout so that the fish can reach the hooks. 2" & 3" grubs with 2/0 worm hooks have always been my trout catching grubs.

Grncrestliner
02-17-2017, 07:22 AM
A 5" Yamamoto grub's body is only 1.75 inches long before the tail. I use a jig head with a 2/0 hook most of the time. The hooks I use put the hook 1/4" ahead of the curled part. With the grub on my desk it is 3" long to the back of the turn. It is only 5" long if you stretch it out straight. Other brands rate the total length differently than Yamamoto does but if you are going to order them or buy them in the store the bag is labeled 5". Some of my 4" grubs in other brands are at least as big as the Yamamoto 5" ones.