PDA

View Full Version : Indian Valley Reservoir

Waterdog
02-21-2017, 02:12 PM
I haven't been to Indian Valley Reservoir in several years. Years ago I spent a lot of time fishing and camping at that lake. I caught lots of trout, kokes, catfish and bass there. Fishing could at times be phenomenal there. The drought really devestated the lake and I know last year or the year before they pretty much drew down/drained the lake. It's a rugged remote area, not easy to drive into and that's one of the things I like about it.
Anyway I am wondering if anyone has any information on its condition. I'm wondering if the winter rains have made a dent in refilling it. Any information is appreciated.

Goldencarp
02-21-2017, 02:22 PM
I was at Indian Valley just before the last storms. Drove around the back side via the Bartlet springs road between Nice and Lucerne then to the access road that connects with highway 20.
Lake was filling nicely but Yolo has seen fit to lock off the access road and closed the bathrooms and campgrounds. Seems to me this should be illegal but nothing seems to happen when questions are asked of the various depts.
Yolo has ruined a great fishery.

Waterdog
02-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the information Goldencarp. I know the area well. I usually take Walker Ridge road to get there. I always camp and fish off by myself and not at the campgrounds. Do you know if you can get down to the lake via Walker Ridge or is that closed off too. I haven't been there since before the fires, did the fires come close to the lake? I don't plan to go there until this spring or summer. With all the rain we've had I assume it may be tough or impossible to get in there even with 4x4.

salmonid
02-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Looks like it's at 75% of capacity and 119% of average.

I'll have to check it out this year it was so sad last time I saw it.

Goldencarp
02-21-2017, 05:31 PM
You can't get to the lake via Walker Ridge, they have a locked gate a long ways from the launch area. You can take the back way as I did, there is a ramp on that end. Road in is in horrible shape right now, 4x4 highly recommended if you go that way.

geno
04-08-2017, 12:13 PM
I haven't been to Indian Valley Reservoir in several years. Years ago I spent a lot of time fishing and camping at that lake. I caught lots of trout, kokes, catfish and bass there. Fishing could at times be phenomenal there. The drought really devestated the lake and I know last year or the year before they pretty much drew down/drained the lake. It's a rugged remote area, not easy to drive into and that's one of the things I like about it.
Anyway I am wondering if anyone has any information on its condition. I'm wondering if the winter rains have made a dent in refilling it. Any information is appreciated.

Indian Valley Reservoir as of today Apr.8th level is 265,600 acre feet!! Filling Nicely.:11:
It would be nice if CDFW would provide an impact report the lack of water had on IVR's fish.

SuperDave
04-08-2017, 12:47 PM
The youtube video shot a few years ago with a plane flyover showed the lake as a trickling creek. I don't care how much water is in it this year, it will be another lake that takes many years to bring back. Having knowledge of when Davis lake was poisoned, it takes more than just dumping fish into it to make it work. The whole ecosystem has to be re-established.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5etIAT-l84&t=104s

Waterdog
04-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Hey geno, welcome to the boards. Thanks for the info.
Dave you are correct it's going to take years for this lake to come back to anything like it once was.

fishwrong2
04-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Been keeping an eye on the storage all winter. Glad to see it finally come back. Agree it will take several years to recover. One thing that may be a silver lining. With reservoirs down as long as it's been sometimes get a fertility boost when they refill due to the buildup of nutrients. Indian Valley has always been a fertile lake anyway, so a rebound may be quicker than we think. Sure hope so anyway.

Would be interested to know if there are plans to put Kokanee back in this year. 2-3 years before their catchable but would be great to see.