Escape pod 99
11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Do people eat carp?

MinnowMagnet
11-30-2008, 07:11 PM
no

MB_Kevin
11-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Some people do. In some country's it is a delicacy. I think the main problem is they are to bony. There have been posts on here where people have ate them but not to many.

-king_fisher-
11-30-2008, 11:14 PM
how would one cook a carp? my uncle says theres a certain way to prepare them, but he says a lot of things.

Darin
12-01-2008, 01:22 AM
how would one cook a carp? my uncle says theres a certain way to prepare them, but he says a lot of things.

Here ya go...Good Luck http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_13.gif

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/carpprep.pdf

outdoorsman
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Soak a plank in red wine, salt it and let it heat. Prep your carp. Throw the carp away and eat the board ;) ;D ;D

Dont rip me for this please. I dont keep let alone waste almost all of my fish.

CJC
12-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I have eaten it. Same as the Sacramento pike minnows, they both have a wonderful taste if caught in cold waters. And the problem with both is that they are very bony and the bones are everywhere.

MinnowMagnet
12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I argee on pike minnow, they are great!

MB_Kevin
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Here ya go...Good Luck http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_13.gif

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/carpprep.pdf

I don't know why but I added the link to the FAQ's thread stickied at the top. The question does come up and that seems like a good description. Thanks .

MB_Kevin
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Soak a plank in red wine, salt it and let it heat. Prep your carp. Throw the carp away and eat the board ;) ;D ;D

Your supposed to cook the carp before you throw it away and eat the plank. ;D

japankokes
12-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Carp are eaten regularly over here in Japan both in soy sauce based nabe (hot pot) and as sashimi(raw).

Carp for consumption usually come from cold clear waters in Nothern Japan.

Cold and clear waters are the operative words as Compadrejt suggested.

The rice paddy carp and irrigation canal carp in the South are generally ignored as they taste muddy so I've heard, and the meat gets too soft as the water warms.

I tried the boiled nabe carp once. I guess you could call it an aquired taste but I couldent aquire it.I remember the bones really put me off it! :( :( :(

Cheers

Chuck

CJC
12-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Carp are eaten regularly over here in Japan both in soy sauce based nabe (hot pot) and as sashimi(raw).

Carp in sashimi?!! That must require extensive labor to fix not only because of the bones but also to prevent parasites. :o :o :o

japankokes
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Compadrejt,

Don't ask me how the chefs get the bones and parasites out but here are a couple of pics from an online carp sashimi ordering site in Aomori Prefecture Northern Japan.

Ready for the chopping board.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/CarpSashimi03.gif
Presentation
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/CarpSashimi01.gif
Mmmmm Good!
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/CarpSashimi02.gif

Cheers

Chuck

BIG_ONE
12-02-2008, 05:29 PM
bake or boil...don't grill, don't fry...then it should be fine...

although with baking, add some water so it keeps the meat moist, meat falls right off the bone *;)

CJC
12-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Chuck, that does look yummy! But I think it's a little too fresh for me. ;D

I'll have mine frozen to -40*C for one day. ;D ;D ;D

That is one beautifull presentation. The Japanese sure know how to do that. What kind of sauce is that? It doesn't look like soy sauce and wasabi.

japankokes
12-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Compadrejt,

I'm with you on that!The chefs here could make a bullhead look palletable.

The dipping sauce is called "kochijyan" a korean hot chili miso based paste used in Japan for several dishes.

As you prolly know,the wasabi soy sauce combo is often used to take out any harmful bacteria from fresh fish served as sashimi when it hits the stomach.

Gives you a good blast in the nostrils as well when you first take it down.Love that stuff. :D :D :D

My guess is the hot chili miso paste serves the same purpose in this carp dish.

Yeah it does look yummy but I'll keep my tuna sashimi. :)

Cheers

Chuck

Berryessa Kid
12-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey Chuck glad you weighed in on this one. That dish does look delectable! I never knew that about the soy-wasabi sauce. Good knowledge. I am glad I soak mine in the stuff!!! I too love the raw fish. We have some pretty good stuff in Roseville and near Sacto, but the best I have had was in San Fran. I know I know doesn't even compare to Japan, I can only dream 8-) As far as the Carp :-/ I consider myself pretty open minded, and I would try it, but I gotta be honest I can't see liking it... Us westerners, we get stuff stuck in our heads :D I also heard steaming it is a good way to get the carp to "fall off the bones?"
I hope you are taking good care on the other side of the world and I look forward to your upcoming koke reports :) and pics ;) 8-) Steve.

Florin
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Yes mani people eat carp

fool4fish
12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
i have heard of carp being cooked in pressure cooker. similar to sardines in a can. the bones just kind of melt away.

raymac
12-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Their also good smoked. Just watch out for the bones

nickjew1
12-04-2008, 11:52 PM
i have a friend from czech republic, and they catch carp over there like nothing. in europe, many of the countries would have carp on christmas, like how americans have, ham or w/e. but he said they fry it.

Jeff213
12-05-2008, 11:40 AM
A baked carp is a part of the traditional dinner for a lot of Catholic European countries because they can't eat red meat on Christmas. I know that a baked carp is part of the traditional polish christmas... my family doesnt like carp though, we make our own polish sausage instead haha.

CaliFishier
12-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Soak a plank in red wine, salt it and let it heat. Prep your carp. Throw the carp away and eat the board

Lmao, that was so funny *;D *;D *;D, Actually i never tried to cook a carp but they are great fighters, is not very interesting the way to fish for carp, but once you hook one you'll enjoy the fight for sure.

fusionstar
12-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Carp is an oily fish, Like salmon. Oily fish are excellent smoked. Dont get caught up in the bones. Make a killer super spicy sauce and you will be huffing a puffing other than worrying about picking out a few bones.
Catch a few of the younger 10-15" carp and toss it over some coals with the skin on, peel skin, eat, enjoy. If you are so disgusted by it, it makes a great, football, fertilizer, crab bait, and anything that a oily fish would be good at.

PS: Carp taste nothing like salmon. :D

spoolnaround
12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Ive had it in a carp cake, yes a carp cake.
We were fishing in the Kings river one night and throwing them back and keeping the cats we were catching. A gentleman with an English or Scottish accent walked up and was suprised we were releasing them. He asked if he could have them if we caught more. Well we gave him 3 or 4 in the 14 to 20 inch range, it was a good night for us. About an hour later he walks over with a big plate of fish cakes, we all looked at each like,....... :-/ yea, ok! Well we all tried them and they were really good ;D. Come to find out this guy is some chef at aome high dollar resturant, really opened my eyes to what is palatable if cooked right.

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
12-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Compadrejt,

Don't ask me how the chefs get the bones and parasites out but here are a couple of pics from an online carp sashimi ordering site in Aomori Prefecture Northern Japan.

Ready for the chopping board.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/CarpSashimi03.gif
Presentation
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/CarpSashimi01.gif
Mmmmm Good!
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/CarpSashimi02.gif

Cheers

Chuck

That looks so good... I'll have to go some sushi tonite now....

FishinRaiders
12-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Go into a Russian or Polish market/Deli and ask them..I have seen many European fisherman keep them..

Me I let them go to be caught another day..

Wouldn't think of eating Pike minnow either..But I know a big Striper will!!!

Bigg A
12-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm originally from the midwest and we grew up eating carp and buffalo. Both fish put up a heck of a fight but between the two the buffalo was always a more tastier fish than his cousin. Even when fishing is slow sometimes I'll go home and make some dough and target them. Like people have already said, the bones in em' just make it not worthwile!! :o

bigeasy8240
12-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Carp taste like a cardboard box with staples! Yeah, I've tried both! :-?

okie
01-03-2009, 01:40 PM
peacock, i'd bet you eat chicken dont you?

Jeff213
01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
burying them on the spot is wasteful and illegal... why would you even do that.

DazShooter
01-06-2009, 03:30 PM
If anyone on here watches the Food Network, the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives ran a segment on this place in Nebraska that specializes in serving Fried Carp. They have a technique of taking the fish and scoring it down the side, battering, and then frying that I assume cooks out the bones. The people eating here swore it was better than catfish.

http://joetessplace.com/html/about_us.html

Bigg A
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
If anyone on here watches the Food Network, the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives ran a segment on this place in Nebraska that specializes in serving Fried Carp. They have a technique of taking the fish and scoring it down the side, battering, and then frying that I assume cooks out the bones. The people eating here swore it was better than catfish.

http://joetessplace.com/html/about_us.html

My favorite place to go growin up!!! They're located in south omaha and is the best place to go and eat fish. The carp dinners served with jacket fries and coleslaw is off the hook!!! ;D. The buffalo rib dinners are the same and yes the fish are cut down the sides to help fry out the bones. Some people will never understand until they've tried it midwest style. On saturdays and sundays it was packed with people waitin to get their lipps on some fried fish. Joe tess even has there own batter they sell and when my sister comes out to visit she brings our dad a bag or two. You will hear people say how nasty the fish are and they taste like this and they taste like that, but lets face it, Everybody can't cook!!!!

MB_Kevin
01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
My dad is a old farmer from Nebraska and he said they ate them as a kid. He always talks about how at one time He could get 11 cents a pound for whole uncleaned carp and it was only 10 cents a pound for a whole cow or something like that.

Schu
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Eat one ! I throw my pole away if I catch one. Eat a Cat fish

Carpopath
01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Eat one ! * *I throw my pole away if I catch one. *Eat a Cat fish

;D ;D ;D

Goodtimes
01-17-2009, 08:19 AM
gross

BIG_ONE
01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
gross??? ;D ;D ;D

everything is in the recipe, not even as gross as stripe bass with the rank as one of top fish in the world with mercury ;D

if you talk about taste...I can't get trout to be cooked right and it always tasteless to me, so I just never fish for trout ;)

dinos marine
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
i had some in a latin soup, it was good, but o couldnt get it out of my head, the rubber lip and ugly looking goldfish thing. i tried it, but, ill let em go. trout and cats taste much better. i release all my bass too. dont like the taste of them either

BIG_ONE
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
i had some in a latin soup, it was good, but o couldnt get it out of my head, the rubber lip and ugly looking goldfish thing. i tried it, but, ill let em go. trout and cats taste much better. i release all my bass too. dont like the taste of them either

off the topic but with bass, wow...I prefer those over trout still ;D

I'll equal them with cat and carp, I guess its all in the recipe that makes all the difference. Just because a fish is a bottom cleaner and eats algae etc etc...doesn't mean its a unhealthy fish, look at catfish. As rated as one of the healthiest fish but eat all kinds of trash and doesn't mind it at all, but people love it! ;D

CJC
02-19-2009, 01:10 AM
off the topic but with bass, wow...I prefer those over trout still ;D

I'll equal them with cat and carp, I guess its all in the recipe that makes all the difference. Just because a fish is a bottom cleaner and eats algae etc etc...doesn't mean its a unhealthy fish, look at catfish. As rated as one of the healthiest fish but eat all kinds of trash and doesn't mind it at all, but people love it! ;D

BIG_ONE,

I am with you on the carp tasting pretty good and the bass is more than good. But don't get deceived with the mercury content. Carp and catfish are up there along with bass in terms of mercury content. Striped bass has on the average halve the mercury content than black bass. I would watch the amount I consume of all of the above fish.

fisherFREAKking
02-19-2009, 03:34 PM
fresh water carp are better than muddy water if you lookin for taste .. but is how you prepare the fish cant say carp are nasty smoking carp isnt all that bad tooooooo like everybody said watch out warning BONES ahaha if you can cook anything taste good ;D

mMachado86
02-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I specifcally remember going with a friend of mine who happened to be asian, but we went fishing at dusk for catfish and carp. First fish on, I caught a 7lb carp and as I went to release it, he freaked out! He said carp is good in a soup which I would think is the only proper way to eat it because of how many bones carp have. He reeeally freaked out when i released a 15lb channel cat i released later that night!

dbass
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Mighty fine eatin.....right ;D ;D Your are what you and they eat and they are scummmmmmmmm suckerssssssss. You guys would probably say shoveler taste better then pintail .... :P

okie
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
people reallyshouldn't talk about how nasty something tastes until they have tried it, especially when it is cooked by someone that knows what they are doin. if you just go by 'what they eat', nobody would be eatin chicken. thats why we say 'tates like chicken' when we other things.

CJC
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
thats why we say 'tates like chicken' .

He is what he eats? ;D ;D ;D

MB_Kevin
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
I have never kept one but I would love to try one prepared right. ;)

Ugbomb
02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Pigeons were brought here for food too!! Wonder what they taste like? :-?

shadbuster
02-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Pigeons were brought here for food too!! Wonder what they taste like?

They sell baby pigeons in fancy restaurants for lots of money and just call it squab.

I did know some guys back in high school who shot pigeons out in the country and ate them, they said they tasted better than quail which is pretty tasty, I never did try them although now I wish I had just so I could know how they tasted.

Toxic_Waste
02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I have shot pigeons before. I only used the breast portion. I cooked them in a marinara sauce with Italian sausage chunks and fresh mushrooms and served it over polenta. They were very good.

MB_Kevin
02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
My daughters uncle shot a pigeon one day and threw the breasts on the bbq. I tried it and it didn't taste bad but I don't think he did much to spice it up. This was years ago before my daughter was even born. I remember thinking it is pretty messed up to shoot that pigeon not knowing what a pest they are. Now I am payed to kill them and/or at least try and keep them away from somewhere.

BIG_ONE
02-21-2009, 12:45 AM
talk about pigeons...they are good eatin' and they are DELICIOUS! don't just cook the breast, cook the entire pigeon and clean it like chicken! be green to nature.

;)

shadbuster
02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Now I am payed to kill them and/or at least try and keep them away from somewhere.

A endless supply of fresh meat ;D ;D ;D.

Florin
02-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes

MB_Kevin
02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
A endless supply of fresh meat

I put up shock tracks on the tops of buildings sometimes and it gives them a little zap so they don't ever want to go around there again. IF I could turn it up we could just be dropping down little BBQ pigeons. ;D
Sorry we are getting off subject...I guess it is OK because this thread has been around a while.

Ugbomb
02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Well at the intersection of Winton and Hesperian in Hayward there is ALOT of possible BBQ'n! ;D

Jeff213
02-22-2009, 12:26 PM
The cops said I couldn't hunt within city limits, even with an air rifle :(.

CJC
02-22-2009, 01:03 PM
The cops are right. You should not be firing an air gun in the city at all. Those thing sre dangerous in populated areas. My son was hit by a stray pelled while playing in the playground when he was 3 years old. Good thing it hit his arm and did not penetrate. Just imagin if it hit his eyes.

What does this have to do with eating carps anyway?

okie
02-22-2009, 03:01 PM
used to eat them when i was a kid, dont know how grandma cooked them but when she served them they were chunks of meat in a gravy over toast. was really good. problem is after you clean them, they not very big, need alot of em, beats the @#$@ out of possum.

Ugbomb
02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Possom any good? Got some monsters over here in Hayward. :o

okie
02-23-2009, 05:56 AM
personaly i dont think there is any way to make possum taste good. when i was a kid, an old lady neighboor had 4 family reunions every year. she wouls ask me to get her 4 or 5 possums for their feast. i ate with them 1 day and i do believe that if i was starving, possum would be the very last thing i would try to eat.
thats just my opinion, maybe someone has a special receipe to make it taste good.
bill

dinos marine
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
ok now we have really gotten of track........ so how is squirrels? we have a butt load of them running around in walnut creek. as well as possums.
i keep trying to run over the wild turkeys out here, but they dodge the truck when i get near em [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif] dfg has that road kill clause ;D

Berryessa Kid
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Hold the opossum by the head and score it down the sides several times. Then deep fry it [smiley=chowtime.gif]
My point is.... I think you could deep fry just about anything and make it taste good [smiley=pig.gif] [smiley=suesscat.gif] [smiley=runningdog.gif] [smiley=elephant.gif] [smiley=jerry.gif] [smiley=snail.gif] [smiley=bear.gif] [smiley=wileecoyote.gif] [smiley=stirthepot.gif] [smiley=stomper.gif] The fried carp with fries does sound pretty good!!!

One time while hunting in Banos we barbacued dove, pigeon, and crow.
Dropped them all in different zip locs of terriyaki and pinneapple chunks for an hour....... Dove - awesome
Pigeon - not bad
Crow - never again :P Steve.

MB_Kevin
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
ok now we have really gotten of track........

Yea I know. I think by the 5th page of "Eating Carp" the carp talk is running out. I don't think the original poster would need (or expected) anymore info then has been put in here.

I can move it to the campfire board and it could possibly become the next imitation captain crunch thread! :D ;D

Carpopath
02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
ok now we have really gotten of track........

*Yea I know. *I think by the 5th page of "Eating Carp" the carp talk is running out. *I don't think the original poster would need (or expected) anymore info then has been put in here.

* *I can move it to the campfire board and it could possibly become the next imitation captain crunch thread! *:D ;D

This is way more informative and fun to read than talking about eating carp ;D

JIM_D.
02-24-2009, 06:03 AM
If you pressure cook the fish the bones will not be a problem. Just as canned salmon. Never tried it but might be worth a try if the has good flavor. JIM D.

BIG_ONE
02-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Pressure cook, not sure if that'll work well with carp. They have LARGE bones, but as goes for fish such as squaw, split tail, and american shad...pressure cook does a really good job at it.

;)

Florin
02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
It is good just try it. There are a lot of so called fishermen who just want to release all cap. For a EURO I grew up eating carp not a lot it was expensive to buy. Try diferite recipies and go for it

slough hound
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
i really didn't know people ate carp i thought they were used to eat all of the weeds learn something new everyday

BIG_ONE
03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
i really didn't know people ate carp *i thought they were used to eat all of the weeds learn something new everyday

they do...well grass carp *;D

SuperDave
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I watch the food network and one of my favorite shows is Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. The host, Guy, went to a restaurant that specialized in carp. I was amazed at all the dishes made with carp they had.

fishingfan
03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
when ever i catch one, i usually give it to my mom. she'll spend her time picking out all the bones (YES ALL OF THEM) and making a fish salad dish that we call "laab". it's to die for. ;)

The dish is like the one pictures below.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5853/laab.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=laab.jpg)

Ugbomb
03-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice! I guess because of the economic times everyone should be giving it a second thought! ;)

stonesfan
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey outdoorsman, We tried your recipe of soaking a plank in Red
Wine, salting it, puting it on the BBQ and throwing away the Carp,
and quess what, It wasn't all that bad! Only thing was, we spent
about 2 hours picking wood splinters out of our teeth............... ;D

Stones [smiley=baghead.gif]Fan

FisherForLife
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I very, very rarely eat fish these days, but i used to alot back when i was still under my parent's control and eating homecooking lol. And from all the years this is my opinion on how the taste is of fish, top being the best, bottom being the worst of the freshwater fish you can catch in sacramento/american rivers.

Number 1 and a hundred times as good as any other, STRIPER!!!!!!!!
Sturgeon - Scrumptiously delightful
Largemouth,Smallmouth,Spotted Bass - what can i say, incredible.
Salmon - If you haven't tried it grilled, you haven't really lived.
Carp - Comparable to panfish but a little more oily. Still very good
Panfish - Sweet Meat
Trout - Very little taste
Catfish - Oily, fat, tastes like death compared to the other fish

Now all of this i realized over many years of eating fish that was prepared in a hundred different ways. Every way you can imagine. Nowadays i'm too lazy to clean fish and bother with buying ice and taking care of it so i mostly release it with the occasional fish for my grandparents. It's so much easier to just go to red lobster for some salmon. If you'd like to try a very simple recipe for any fish, here's something you can try. There's many, MANY other better ways of preparing fish, but this is simple and still very good.

Clean and fillet the fish. Cut the fillets into 3"x3" pieces. Take some eggs, (take the shells off) and mix the white with the yolks in a cup. Stick the fillets into the egg, then comletely submerge into bread crumbs (the kind you buy in a can, not homemade bread crumbs), add some spices(your choice) and fry it in a pan on oil. Quick, easy, and tastes good. I'd recommend striper. Best tasting fish hands down.

BIG_ONE
04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Sounds great, I got to try that 8-)

maskas
04-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I find this thread fascinating. From carp to 'possums to squirrels...what's next? Racoons? I bet Racoon stuffed with possum stuffed with carp is pretty good. Kinda like Turducken, except different. Anyhow, you guys might find this interesting:

I caught this fish in Argentina. They call it "Boga" there. I dont know what it is exactly, but it seems to me it's some kind of carp. We caught a ton of them on Corn. We had some cooked for us a few times, and it was absolutely delicious. Some of the best fish I have ever had (and I've eaten a lot of fish). Can anyone identify this fish? I would assume it's somehow related to the carp we have here. If the carp here taste like this fish, we should all be eating carp. I dont eat carp because of all the mercury and other pollutants where I catch them...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/sm5277/IMG_2024-1.jpg

BIG_ONE
04-08-2009, 11:36 PM
looks very similar to a grass carp but not quite. im lost here with that fish :P

CJC
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Maskas

I have never seen those before. But I can tell you that carp meat caught in cold waters are delicious. It does look like a carp. Are those very bony also?

maskas
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
It was not particularly bony. I tried to look it up online, and I still cant really figure out what it is...I thought it might be a grass carp, but it is not. Grass carp are (according to wikipedia) the only species in their genus. The fish I caught (according to wikipedia) is not of the same genus as grass carp...All I know is that it tasted extremely good.

CJC
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Here is the link. It's a Leporinus obtusidens (http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?genusname=Leporinus&speciesname =obtusidens)

shadbuster
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I caught this fish in Argentina. They call it "Boga" there.

That fish is a boga ;D, I don't think they go by any other name. They don't seem to be related to carp at all they are in two completely different families.

CJC
04-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I caught this fish in Argentina. They call it "Boga" there.

That fish is a boga ;D, I don't think they go by any other name. *They don't seem to be related to carp at all they are in two completely different families.
It's got a few other names:
http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/comnames/CommonNamesList.php?ID=23445&GenusName=Leporinus&S peciesName=obtusidens&StockCode=18627

MB_Kevin
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Good job on the identification compadrejt!

okie
04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
maskas, i appreciate your adventureism, bbq'd raccoon stuffed with carp and some spices would probably be great, they are both good eatin by themselves, BUT NEVER add possum to anything, i've tried them after they were boiled and baked in the oven for 3 days, they were still oily and the smell was horrific.

shadbuster
04-09-2009, 09:42 PM
BUT NEVER add possum to anything, i've tried them after they were boiled and baked in the oven for 3 days, they were still oily and the smell was horrific.

i have it on good authority that possum tastes just like really tender pork, maybe it's the area where you shoot them at? I imagine a possum that's been eating lots of garbage doesn't taste too good, just like bears who have raided one to many dumpsters.

MB_Kevin
04-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I've added this to the FAQ's at the top because it is obviously a popular topic. ;) 8-)

ixlatall
04-26-2009, 03:53 PM
There are bound to be people somewhere that eat pretty much anything that can be caught

okie
04-26-2009, 04:37 PM
ixlatall, you are right, the possum i ate was in oklahoma, i tried it once, but my neighbors ate them all the time. i would never say 'i'll never eat possum again!", because when you get hungry enouh you'd be surprised what you would eat. but i will say that i would have to be very hungry to eat it. racoon, squirrel, rabbit, crow, medowlark were all pretty good, but NOT possum. thats just the way my taste buds responded, others i'm sure are different.

Prowler
04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I've eaten rabbit before. Don't you hate it when they kick you in the face? :P ;D ;D

okie
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
no, nut i've had frog legs kick hot grease on me while cookin them

riverboi
04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
i have it on good authority that possum tastes just like really tender pork, maybe it's the area where you shoot them at? *I imagine a possum that's been eating lots of garbage doesn't taste too good, just like bears who have raided one to many dumpsters.

I hope you never ate them :o Not even starving settlers would eat possums due to all the parasites they DO carry and diseases they CAN carry. Can't remember the name but they can carry one that shuts down your nervous system.

ratss427
04-29-2009, 06:02 PM
I actually saw a restaurant on the food channel that specializes in deep fried carp.I can't remember the name of the place.But,they had it down so that the bones would fry off.and ,you were left with just the meat chunks.people seemed to really love it!

shadbuster
04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I hope you never ate them Shocked Not even starving settlers would eat possums due to all the parasites they DO carry and diseases they CAN carry. Can't remember the name but they can carry one that shuts down your nervous system.

No I never ate any, knew some guys who went out and shot them all the time and they said they tasted great. Good thing I didn't it seems like they are really dirty animals :o.

FisherMi3nh
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Do people eat carp? *

my parents love carp. not the big ones but the youngins. the taste of the meat is like night and day compare to the older and bigger fish. I personally don't eat it but then again i dont eat what i catch anyway. bake on the stove over foil is the prefer method by asians, well at least in this family. :-)

skunky
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Smoked in hickory chips....yeah the bones but if you're a fish eater then what bones.....to each is own, I've tried them in soup, deep fried, baked, smoked well to me is the best....eat em' up or throw em' back it's both good in my opinion. ;)

FisherMi3nh
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
skunky, that picture on the bottom right side looks like its from san luis reservoir the forebay side under the bridge.

skunky
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
skunky, that picture on the bottom right side looks like its from san luis reservoir the forebay side under the bridge.

that is correct FisherMi3nh, caught by a friend many moons ago. it was a 47 pounder.