PDA

View Full Version : AR between Folsom and Natoma

Fish-on
03-25-2017, 11:16 AM
How is the fishing between the 2 lakes? Just moved to Folsom and would rather fish a river than dunk bait at a lake. Is that stretch productive at all or a waste of time? Anyone fish it? It is still pretty brown water but in a month or so I would think it will clear enough to fish. Any access spots or tips (worms, lures, spoons) would be appreciated

burninfuel
03-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Kayak fishing up to "prison sign" at normal flows is good for rainbows. Big fat footballs.
We launch at Natomas ramp and have seen salmon at the ramp, dead from spawning ????

bigfin
03-25-2017, 04:39 PM
How is the fishing between the 2 lakes? Just moved to Folsom and would rather fish a river than dunk bait at a lake. Is that stretch productive at all or a waste of time? Anyone fish it? It is still pretty brown water but in a month or so I would think it will clear enough to fish. Any access spots or tips (worms, lures, spoons) would be appreciated

Google State Record Rainbow Trout sure you will see Lake Natoma pop up . BF

Owlman2
03-25-2017, 05:53 PM
We launch at Natomas ramp and have seen salmon at the ramp, dead from spawning ????

If you are talking full size salmon...like that came from the ocean and spawned...that's impossible. How would they get there?

There are a few landlocked Chinooks in Natoma....I think they come down the spillway from Folsom....but three pounds would be a big one.

burninfuel
03-25-2017, 06:47 PM
THEY LOOKED MORE LIKE 5# 24" PLUS, just singles on the bottom, not rotted at all and 2-3 of them in a 1 miles streach

Sac/Striper/Slayer
03-28-2017, 11:49 AM
probably just large rainbows that died for some reason. the state record was broken multiple times and is currently held from Lake Natoma for rainbow trout.

Tyeechinook
03-28-2017, 06:10 PM
I caught a 9 pound king in natoma years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsa2780
03-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Same situation with giant pond smelt gorged landlockeds and bows from the diversion pool in oroville. Interesting to see if the fish replenished or maybe got moved during the crazy flows. There are probably a few more state records swimming around the uppermost section of natoma. Wasn't there a guy on here who claimed to be catching stripers every now and then out of natoma as well?

Dek
03-29-2017, 06:11 AM
There are trout there, but the ratio of time spent fishing to number of fish you catch will be low. Welcome to Folsom!

TexWalker
03-29-2017, 06:48 AM
Good luck. While they are in there, they are not very common to catch. Go up the river arms in Folsom and fish there

Legalbeagle
03-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Same situation with giant pond smelt gorged landlockeds and bows from the diversion pool in oroville. Interesting to see if the fish replenished or maybe got moved during the crazy flows. There are probably a few more state records swimming around the uppermost section of natoma. Wasn't there a guy on here who claimed to be catching stripers every now and then out of natoma as well?

The Folsom South Canal runs out of Lake Natoma. Interesting that you mentioned stripers. I have seen a very large striper in the canal. I've also seen a dead king, maybe 15" or so, lying on the Natomas beach, near the canal outlet. The king was chrome. My thought was the king came from Folsom. I don't remember how the outlet is set up--whether or not fish can swim upstream, but it could explain the striper theory.

dsa2780
03-29-2017, 01:23 PM
The Folsom South Canal runs out of Lake Natoma. Interesting that you mentioned stripers. I have seen a very large striper in the canal. I've also seen a dead king, maybe 15" or so, lying on the Natomas beach, near the canal outlet. The king was chrome. My thought was the king came from Folsom. I don't remember how the outlet is set up--whether or not fish can swim upstream, but it could explain the striper theory.

The canal down by nimbus has bass in it and tons of bluegills. Was always curious as to how they got into there. Right now the canal looks like the aqueduct, nice water color and tons of flow. Would be awesome if we could fish along it. Saw some video of a guy fishing it catching giant red ears.