PDA

View Full Version : Can Corn?

fresnosniffer
02-16-2009, 05:07 PM
A friend of mine told me that using canned corn was illegal. Is this true? 8-)

MB_Kevin
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Ask MinnowMagnet ;D :D ::)

MB_Kevin
02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Here is a long thread on the subject!

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1229140331

Jeff213
02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Canned corn is legal bait anywhere in the state where you can use bait. Do not use it as chum though unless you check the regulations first.

MinnowMagnet
02-20-2009, 07:30 PM
It is legal for hookbait ANYWHERE in CA,

JIM_D.
03-02-2009, 05:37 PM
It's also legal in PA. and is great for trout. JIM D.

BIG_ONE
03-03-2009, 12:16 AM
canned corned, i rather eat those instead and bring the cornmeal out ;D

S_L
03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Again, guys: feel free to use it as bait, but NEVER as a chum if trout is there!!
Simple reason: trout loves corn, but is not able to digest it.

Prowler
03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
trout loves corn, but is not able to digest it.
I seem to have this same problem :( :-X

Carpopath
03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Question/thoughts for all the trout heads out there, are you sure that canned corn is responsible for trout death, ive used it before and in a lot of years never seen a dead trout other than what someone threw back at some fishing derby, but one thing that can be used for bait is prepared maize/field corn for carp but this should NEVER be thrown in dry/hard as anything eating it will have it swell in the stomach, ive come across where someone has dropped uncooked maize on the bank before and i know there are people that dont care as long as they catch (theyre going to eat it anyway) wondering if this may be the culprit.

metalmouth
03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
The Fisheries Biologists in several western states concluded that it was such a danger that they made it illegal to fish with in Utah and Wyoming. They problably don't have a clue huh . *. *. :)

\sarcasm off

Prowler
03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
The Fisheries Biologists in several western states concluded that it was such a danger that they made it illegal to fish with in Utah and Wyoming. They problably don't have a clue huh . . . :)

\sarcasm off
If you can steer me towards just one website or link that confirms that corn kills trout, then I'm all ears (or eyes). :) I did look for one for a while and couldn't find anything. :-/

metalmouth
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
The Fisheries Biologists in several western states concluded that it was such a danger that they made it illegal to fish with in Utah and Wyoming. They problably don't have a clue huh . *. *. *:)

\sarcasm off
If you can steer me towards just one website or link that confirms that corn kills trout, then I'm all ears (or eyes). :) I did look for one for a while and couldn't find anything. :-/

Sorry, I've never bothered to search for the science they used to outlaw corn. I can tell you that they won't even allow corn in your possession while fishing or on a boat and just say that trout can't pass kernals of corn. Maybe send an email to DFG Utah or Wyoming?

BIG_ONE
03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
THEY LIED ;D

Carpopath
03-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Question/thoughts for all the trout heads out there, are you sure that canned corn is responsible for trout death, ive used it before and in a lot of years never seen a dead trout other than what someone threw back at some fishing derby, but one thing that can be used for bait is prepared maize/field corn for carp but this should NEVER be thrown in dry/hard as anything eating it will have it swell in the stomach, ive come across where someone has dropped uncooked maize on the bank before and i know there are people that dont care as long as they catch (theyre going to eat it anyway) wondering if this may be the culprit.
I'm not sold on the idea that it causes death. There was a study done (although it was only for 54 days) where trout were fed a diet of corn, and none of them died. There is no question that they can't digest it very well, and will probably stunt their growth, but I couldn't find proof that it causes death.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

So it looks like it doesnt do any real harm if trout eat a bit of corn, yet another case of people being misguided to add to the list ;)

fresnosniffer
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Wow! :D

So can corn will not kill carp or trout?

Prowler
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow! :D

So can corn will not kill carp or trout?
I don't know if it does or doesn't. What I do know is that it certainly isn't good for them.

okie
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
someone posted a report of a survey on feedin trout corn, they came to the conclusion that it didn't kll trout. you may be able to go thru the posts and find it. when i first came here to nevada i was told that using corn was illegal because it killed the fish. since then i've seen where it is used as bait, so i think using it as bait is ok, chummim is out in some waters.