PDA

View Full Version : Line weight for trolling

Mikfish
04-19-2017, 02:05 PM
This seems to be a never ending debate for me. I've been using 10lb test line pretty much since I've been trolling for about a year now. The 10lb seaguar flouro is my personal favorite since it has a small line diameter and is pretty strong. I'm often told that I'm going way too heavy and I'm missing a lot more hook ups. Several people who troll Shasta lake say I should never use anything over 6 lbs. I'll admit I've never caught anything over 3.5lbs... but like I said I've only been trolling for a year and I'm sure that big brown in the double digits is in there, or the 6-7lb rainbow and do I want 6lb line when that does happen? Or will I ever hook the big wary brown using heavier line? Just to be clear, I'm talking about from the surface to about 20ft down. In the summer I'm not so sure line weight matters when I'm down 80 to 100ft. So i know most of you have been doing this a long time and I value your opinions. What do you say, am I way too heavy with my line choice?

FISHERPRICE
04-20-2017, 07:07 AM
I personally prefer 4-6 lb line depending on the lake . My two cents
This seems to be a never ending debate for me. I've been using 10lb test line pretty much since I've been trolling for about a year now. The 10lb seaguar flouro is my personal favorite since it has a small line diameter and is pretty strong. I'm often told that I'm going way too heavy and I'm missing a lot more hook ups. Several people who troll Shasta lake say I should never use anything over 6 lbs. I'll admit I've never caught anything over 3.5lbs... but like I said I've only been trolling for a year and I'm sure that big brown in the double digits is in there, or the 6-7lb rainbow and do I want 6lb line when that does happen? Or will I ever hook the big wary brown using heavier line? Just to be clear, I'm talking about from the surface to about 20ft down. In the summer I'm not so sure line weight matters when I'm down 80 to 100ft. So i know most of you have been doing this a long time and I value your opinions. What do you say, am I way too heavy with my line choice?

Captain Compassion
04-20-2017, 07:12 AM
6# for normal trout trolling. 12 - 20# Pyramid or Tahoe.

CC

SuperDave
04-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Stick with the 10 pound main line and experiment with different fluorocarbon leaders. I use 10 pound for everything but if I was hunting native and line shy fish I could see using lighter leaders.

Seon
04-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Stick with the 10 pound main line and experiment with different fluorocarbon leaders.

+1 on lighter leaders :encouragement: .

scanoe fisher
04-20-2017, 07:50 AM
i agree with some of the others. my main line is 8lb. with a 4 or 6 flouro leader to my offering. of course i am almost never in a spot where i would have to slug it out with a double digit fish. but have easily handled planter size up to 6# or so with these. may also depend some on how forgiving your rod is?

ampm
04-20-2017, 07:52 AM
For trout or kokes I use #8 mono. I think you need some stretch or you'll risk pulling the hook out, flouro is too stiff imo.

Snowtrout
04-20-2017, 09:22 AM
If using bait, 4-6lb line. The light line will allow the bait to float or move around more freely than a heavier line.

If trolling, 8-10lb line. Light lines have too much line stretch and the slightest rub on anything can lead to a break off. 8-10lb seems to be a good happy medium for most lakes.

I mostly use 10lb mono and occasionally use 10lb braid with a 8lb leader while trolling for trout and kokanee.

More importantly than line weight is line diameter. Some companies lines are thicker than others at a stated weight and others (Maxima) are actually larger than their stated diameter.
Examples:
Berkley XL 10lb=.011, .28mm
Berkley 100% Fluoro=.012, .30mm
Berkley Big Game 10lb=.012, .31mm
Berkley XT 10lb=.014, .35mm

To me, looking at a line's diameter is more important than line weight.

Mikfish
04-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. The water is still somewhat stained, so I'm thinking I can get away with 10lb for now, which is .011 in diameter. I have 8lb and now 6lb in case I feel I need it. I'm not a huge fan of mono except for kokes. I've lost a few trout and salmon that bit through my mono leaders when using hoochies. So, I pretty much stick to fluorocarbon. Seems to be more abrasion resistant. I think I'll try 6lb on one rod and 10lb on another using same bait and see which one hooks up more. Here's another question.. Why would trout shy away from line when there's a lot of other hardware we drag around as well? Like sinkers for depth, beads, dodgers with huge swivels on them. Might be a dumb question, but why are trout so wary of line when attracted to everything else. I brought my fish hawk up from 200ft depth and had a huge rainbow follow it to the surface. Blew me away seeing a big trout attracted to a shapeless fish hawk that looks like a black key floater. Just curious what you all think. Thanks again for your response!

chartreuse moose
04-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Well, let's see.

1st I have never have come across a line shy fish.I fish all over Oregon and California for Bull Trout, Lakers, Browns, and Rainbows using

1. 40 Lb A-Tom-Mik Copper line
2. 30 Ln Stainless Steel line by Malin
3. 20 Lb Mono on 12 main rods

3' Planner boards off a mast
Dipsy Divers
Slide Divers

I sure don't have a problem landing fish. I read about guys that what to feel the fight, and for Kokanee I can understand but any other species trolling I run Great lakes style fishing. If I wanted to feel the fight I would get a fly rod .

I have had plenty of guys on my boat and not once have I heard one say I want to feel the fight and I am 71

Merle
04-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Ive been using Cajun Red advantage in 10 pound for trolling. Been using the advantage fo a long time its been real good for me. Diameter:0.305 mm no memory been great. I like it because it is a co-polymer and is not stiff like mono or fluorocarbon. A lot of people seem to hate cajun red mono with I agree with them but the co-polymer is good.
I also agree with snowtrout I feel the line diameter is more important. So for me until they mess up the advantage I dont see much of a need for me to change lines and is what I recommend.

Owlman2
04-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Trolling for browns when a big fish is possible....I use 15# braid with a 50 foot 8# flouro leader. Assuming I am in fairly obstacle free water....that is enough to handle a very big fish.

Jetspray
04-21-2017, 04:31 AM
Trolling for browns when a big fish is possible....I use 15# braid with a 50 foot 8# flouro leader. Assuming I am in fairly obstacle free water....that is enough to handle a very big fish.The thinner and stronger the line the deeper you go when top lining. Twisted mono without swivels is the worst in my book it brings things to the surface and binds things up and weakens the line because of all of the extra stress on the line and it stretches.........Jetspray

Snowtrout
04-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Mikfish,

Fish are curious and are attracted to objects, especially objects that have some type of vibration or flash coming from them. As for being line shy, all depends on water clarity and does that line affect the lures movement. Tahoe is an example of a extremely clear lake where line size or line color can make a difference, especially when fishing shallower than 50' (my opinion).

Often overlooked is how line size or attachment to a lure affects a lure's action. Use 17lb test with a #14 fly and see if it looks natural when presented. Tie your line directly to a Rapala with a tight knot (no snap or split ring) and watch the action diminish or even disappear (can be desired by some anglers though).

Also, if fish are breaking your hoochie with a 10lb mono leader off, you either have bad line, tied a bad knot or the spinner abraded your line, causing a weak spot. Again a opinion, but you might want to check those things.

Jetspray
04-24-2017, 01:59 PM
I still stick with good swivels that are between the main line and the leader. Cheapo's never do the job right and cause way too much line twist. Since you are not supposed to use lubricants like WD-40 in waters I use approved line lubes to lube up swivels and use good types of swivels like S-Pro types (they have a higher lb rating for their size too)......Jetspray

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPRO-Power-Swivels-Black-Per/742875.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3 D734095080%26CQ_search%3Ds-pro%2Bswivels

Mikfish
04-25-2017, 10:19 PM
Some very interesting points made. I tried both the 6lb and 10. Honestly, I don't think it made a difference as the water is stained somewhat. I got the 6lb snagged and it broke off too easy. I caught a few rainbows, biggest was 2.4lbs. They're pretty much scattered. The only lure that worked for me was a wiggle hoochie with a 2.5" white glow skirt, and a small white slingblade dodger. Bass are up shallow and went nuts on that as well. I was also using a 1/4oz slider sinker to get under the debris. I was probably 12ft down.

I guess the more important question should be the quality of line?.. and swivel! I'll look into those jetspray. I'm using ball bearing, never failed, but they're bigger than I'd like.
Snowtrout.. I honestly don't know for sure they bit through the line. Both were cut at the trailing hook. Could have been damaged line as well.
Chartreuse moose.. I've used some heavy line and still caught fish. So I hear what you're saying. 10lb seems to be a happy place for me on shasta for now. I'd probably go lighter if I was fishing on a clear water lake.
I also frequently hear I need to troll slower. But I've caught fish from 1 to 4mph depending on my lures. I suppose I should just be confident with what's working for me. Jigging?.. lacking confidence there! But I'll keep trying. Any tips?... hehe, doesn't hurt to ask.

Jetspray
04-26-2017, 04:23 AM
You can get the S-Pros in very small sizes that have a bunch of strength (read each pack and look at the ratings). I have found them both at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops as well as Sportsman's Warehouse. As far as trolling and line diameter I have better depth with the super braids myself, if I troll at 1.8 MPH with the same lure on it drops deeper. I use line counters for the most part while trolling and even when using leadcore line I do not have to look at colors rather the counter to put things down to the same depth each time I let out line..........Jetspray

Jetspray
04-26-2017, 04:30 AM
BTW as far as line manufacture look how it is done. Mono and floro are extruded, if the formulation is of low quality the line has extrusion problems and that is for the most part the amount of stretch and memory (curly screw). Super braids are of a higher quality extrusion method and then braided quickly after the extrusion. The formulation is the most important part, high grade means high cost, both in manufacture and at the store. You kind of get what you pay for. I am not much of a fan of spiderwire, but the suffix lines are a little more forgiving to me..........Jetspray

Mikfish
04-26-2017, 07:28 AM
I'm currently using 15lb power pro ss with 100ft of the 10lb seaguar flouro. I like suffix braid as well. I've used spiderwire flouro once.. the leftover spool has been sitting in my box ever since. I have line counters on both my reels and I was about 200ft back on one and 250 on the other. I don't know for sure I was 12ft down.. but I got snagged on a 12ft low spot, so that's how I came to that conclusion. I was varying my speed, but hooked up at about 2.3 mph close to shore on points and secondary points.
Sportsman warehouse is in Redding, I'll get me some of the s-pros swivels. Phil's propeller carries just about everything too.

Snowtrout
04-26-2017, 09:57 AM
When choosing a line, what characteristics one wants should be the determining factor along with will it be going on a spinning or casting reel. Too often people just go to the store and just buy line, without knowing too much about it or what it is best for, because someone said or the box advertisement convinced them. Then they try it and have a good or terrible experience, but don't understand fully why.

Braid is great for long line trolling, vertical jigging and casting on baitcasters. Little memory, the sensitivity allows one to feel what's going on and the thin diameter cuts through water easier allowing lures to get deeper but braid does not like rocks, nor line twist and the lack of stretch can lead to breakoffs or fish lost.

Mono is a great general purpose line but varies greatly between mfgs and/or a brand's different lines. Some are thick, some are thin, some are stretchy, others not so much, some work great for spinning reels, some are too stiff for spinning reels, memory, color variance, etc.

Fluorocarbon lines are becoming more accepted as people understand its characteristics and the lines evolve. Being denser than mono, fluoro's are more sensitive than mono. They also reflect less than mono making them perfect for clear water bodies of water. A misnomer is that fluoro's have less stretch than mono. Some are but the Seaguar Invisix you are using is one of the more stretchy fluoro's on the market. Bad thing: they are expensive, some will shred like string cheese and if you don't wet your knot when cinching it, the line friction will cause a weak spot.

Jetspray
04-26-2017, 03:32 PM
When choosing a line, what characteristics one wants should be the determining factor along with will it be going on a spinning or casting reel. Too often people just go to the store and just buy line, without knowing too much about it or what it is best for, because someone said or the box advertisement convinced them. Then they try it and have a good or terrible experience, but don't understand fully why.

Braid is great for long line trolling, vertical jigging and casting on baitcasters. Little memory, the sensitivity allows one to feel what's going on and the thin diameter cuts through water easier allowing lures to get deeper but braid does not like rocks, nor line twist and the lack of stretch can lead to breakoffs or fish lost.

Mono is a great general purpose line but varies greatly between mfgs and/or a brand's different lines. Some are thick, some are thin, some are stretchy, others not so much, some work great for spinning reels, some are too stiff for spinning reels, memory, color variance, etc.

Fluorocarbon lines are becoming more accepted as people understand its characteristics and the lines evolve. Being denser than mono, fluoro's are more sensitive than mono. They also reflect less than mono making them perfect for clear water bodies of water. A misnomer is that fluoro's have less stretch than mono. Some are but the Seaguar Invisix you are using is one of the more stretchy fluoro's on the market. Bad thing: they are expensive, some will shred like string cheese and if you don't wet your knot when cinching it, the line friction will cause a weak spot.The difference between floro and mono line is close to what raw materials are used in their manufacture and how that takes place. Monomers are different in their characteristics and you can see what happens with catalysts and activators in each set of manufacture. Higher cost is a direct effect on the outcome..........Jetspray

gfishes
04-27-2017, 09:57 PM
You can get the S-Pros in very small sizes that have a bunch of strength (read each pack and look at the ratings). I have found them both at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops as well as Sportsman's Warehouse. As far as trolling and line diameter I have better depth with the super braids myself, if I troll at 1.8 MPH with the same lure on it drops deeper. I use line counters for the most part while trolling and even when using leadcore line I do not have to look at colors rather the counter to put things down to the same depth each time I let out line..........Jetspray

Spro swivels...the best.

Mikfish
04-28-2017, 03:23 PM

I'll grabbed all the spros they had. Rated at 50lbs. Tiny little buggers.. gonna need magnification to tie them..lol Thanks for the tip!

Jetspray
04-28-2017, 05:12 PM
I'll grabbed all the spros they had. Rated at 50lbs. Tiny little buggers.. gonna need magnification to tie them..lol Thanks for the tip!I know what you mean, I have a special box in my stuff just to add them to lures using small split rings between (keeps from loosing fish at Pyramid when they do the death roll at the boat). I also tie them between the braid and leader (mono/floro) on my regular shore casting set ups. Worth every penny.........Jetspray