PDA

View Full Version : Fish'n in the Rain Today...

F33rNoFish
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
so, my bro in law and i went out to grimes rd. river today.

the bridge area sucked. not even a bite, but the carp were jump'n big time!

moved across the bridge and fished from about 10.30a-4pm and got a total of 7 medium sized cats and one undersized striper (released).

a guy next to us caught about 10-15 cats in about a total of 3 hours. all on clam.

most of our catches were off of clam, but i also tested out the squid theory and i actually did catch a larger sized fish on it. and it was good to go for another 5 casts!

i also used mackarel and liver today.

got a hit on everything i put out.

i also caught another fish (felt like a cat), but it got snagged and had to break the line. there's probably a snagged cat on the line right at the edge right now. that even broke my rod...so, just had to swing by bass pro shops to replace it! :D

the old, broken up cheapie was replaced with a nice 7' ugly stick striper!

didn't even get wet due to the rain gear.

overall...great day out in the rain!

MB_Kevin
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Cool report. I don't mind fishing in the rain. I have never used clams before. How are they when you take them out of the shell and put them on the hook.

Ugbomb
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Where do you even get clams? :-?

F33rNoFish
03-02-2009, 06:50 AM
you can get clam at three bait shops that i know of. *right off of 580/205 and grant line there's a valero, they have most of what you would need for a delta day and even have live minnow.

off of tracy blvd going into tracy from the fwy, there's a 76 station that also has it all excl minnow.

there's also a bait shop that carries clam at the north side of the 1st river crossing going north on tracy blvd. *i dont remember the road's name but it's right off the road next to an old inn.

clam does ok. *you have to get the poopy and muscle areas and stick them onto a bait holder hook. *1st through the poop and then through the muscle so it holds. *sometimes you lose the clam on casts but if you bait it right you should be fine.

good thing about clam is that both cat and striper love them *:P

shadbuster
03-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Where do you even get clams?

They sell clams at my local wal-mart.

nauticalmike
03-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Fish department at the grocery store often has them, or you can also dig for them at some beaches, if your local bait store doesn't carry them.

F33rNoFish
03-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Fish department at the grocery store often has them, or you can also dig for them *at some beaches, if your local bait store doesn't carry them.

groc stores, really?! are they the regular river clams?

we used to dig for them too. back in the day, though. they're not as available any longer and there aren't too many accessible beaches off the legal area banks/rivers.

do you guys know of an area where kids are ok to be in the water with sandy beaches?

LAWDOG1634
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
To get clams and mussels to stay on the hook I cure them in a mix of 50/50 borax and pickling salt. I mix them up in a bowl then set them on a windowscreen and let them sit out in a breezy spot about half a day. They get really tough and the fish never seemed to mind. I have also cured them with Pro Glo and used them for estuary Salmon and Steelies.

F33rNoFish
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
To get clams and mussels to stay on the hook I cure them in a mix of 50/50 borax and pickling salt. I mix them up in a bowl then set them on a windowscreen and let them sit out in a breezy spot about half a day. They get really tough and the fish never seemed to mind. I have also cured them with Pro Glo and used them for estuary Salmon and Steelies.

very nice. gotta try it. thing is that they don't really sell clam in my hood, so i usually have to buy them from the shops the day of.

wondering if i were to buy extra, freeze them and THEN cure them. how do you guys think they'll work?

MB_Kevin
03-13-2009, 07:39 PM
To get clams and mussels to stay on the hook I cure them in a mix of 50/50 borax and pickling salt.

Really borax? That stuff has the same ingredients as a pesticide I use at work to spray on wood to kill termites and other bugs.

LAWDOG1634
03-15-2009, 08:05 AM
To get clams and mussels to stay on the hook I cure them in a mix of 50/50 borax and pickling salt. *

*Really borax? *That stuff has the same ingredients as a pesticide I use at work to spray on wood to kill termites and other bugs.

Been using borax as long as I can remember to cure Salmon roe for bait. I think the only ingredient in Borax is Borax, it's a mined mineral. It is in the grocery store and is used as a water softener in laundry soap. I believe the chemical composition is similar to salt.

I looked it up on wiki and it is toxic if eaten in quantity but so is salt, there may be a chance of contracting cancer if exposed for five to ten years.

It is also the postcursor to Boric acid which is the stuff in every first aid kit we use as eyewash.

A note on boric acid, if you take loose salmon eggs and slowly heat them to about 200 degrees in a solution of about 5% boric acid you get pautskeys style eggs, if you just let them soak in the acid overnight in the fridge you get the rubbery atas or mikes style eggs.

I learn something every day. :D

MB_Kevin
03-15-2009, 08:44 AM
I learn something every day.

That is some cool info. We use tim-bor as a fungicide/insecticide that is 98% boric acid. When I first seen the borax box I was thinking wow it is also detergent. Sounds cool for bait I was just pointing out it can also be a pesticide. I think it is a good one to use because it is not as harmful to us as other pesticides when used right.