PDA

View Full Version : catfish bait

sean_mcguire
10-29-2008, 08:15 PM
im just trying to get some ideas on the best bait for some cats. ;)

MB_Kevin
10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Lately my best bait has been a regular sized minnow. *Don't forget the hot dogs. ;)

Also bluegills are only legal in some waters.

Prowler
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
My favorite has always been chicken livers with crushed garlic; left out the day before. Although, I have caught a 5# cat on a piece of leather with Red fingernail polish on it (after I bet my buddy that it wouldn't work...long story). When I use the liver, I don't plan on eating anything in the near future ;)http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/193/signs165xk.gif

sean_mcguire
10-29-2008, 10:39 PM
yeah i remember a while ago my friend caught two 14# cats on jumbo minnows at Folsom lake. believe it or not. :D man i remember that day. we all caught so many catfish. i think it still might be up around the 5/25/08 area.
he said that that was the first time that he didn't have to throw them away.

riverboi
10-30-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't see my favorite bait up there on the list :-X

The_Friskerman
10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
it depends on the water I'm fishing. In rivers like the delta, I think clams are best for the smaller pan fry ones, cut fresh bluegills for the bigger ones.

In lakes, chicken liver and mackerel have worked wonders over the years.

fool4fish
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
dont forget crawdads! come to think of it how about shrimp??

sean_mcguire
10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
yeah i totally forgot about some of those.
if your favorite bait isnt up there then write it. ;D

SetTheHookMinistry
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Dynamite,Hog Wild,Charlies Blood

MinnowMagnet
10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
you forgot bread. Bread is an awsome catfish bait. I caught these on bread, 21lber and a 20lber
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4167/444848r103817a019sv3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5296/20xw0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Prowler
10-30-2008, 04:35 PM
...And a funny lookin' cartoon catfish too...Nice cats!

sean_mcguire
10-30-2008, 07:26 PM
dude nice cats!! ;)
but how often does bread work. ive never heard of using bread.
what would be the best type of bread.(wheat,white,rye,etc.)

FisherBoats
10-30-2008, 10:57 PM
dude nice cats!! ;)
but how often does bread work. ive never heard of using bread.
what would be the best type of bread.(wheat,white,rye,etc.)

my favorite is white, they stay in a ball shape better.

MinnowMagnet
10-31-2008, 07:22 AM
it all works.

BIG_ONE
10-31-2008, 12:47 PM
out of everything if i would to choose the best catfish bait for a guaranteed catch on any size of the cat...

soft shelled live crawdad!!!!! #1!!! :D

Fish_R_Us
10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Native clams and crawdads.

wmgraphics
11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Squid.... thats right. Seems nobody mentioned one of the cheapest, toughest baits out there. Squid is one of the best baits I have ever used for Cats. The best part about this bait it stays on the hook forever. I'll usually bring some to use as a trailer behind deep diver jointed rebels for stripers, much cheep than trick worms and way better action.
When fishing for cats I'll use 1 small squid on an average of 3 -8 fish. I fished the monti the other day and must of caught a dozen (1 -4lbs) or so on the same piece. Give it a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Carpopath
11-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Any one tried lightly frying liver so it stays on hook better and gives a bit extra flavour.

Prowler
11-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Any one tried lightly frying liver so it stays on hook better and gives a bit extra flavour.

I haven't...But that's a good idea. Kinda like browning a roast to seal in the juices ;)

Phinger28
11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Throw in some onion w/ that fried liver and itll make em go ape-$h!t ;D

nickjew1
11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
a whole shrimp with the head on works great for me.

MB_Kevin
11-04-2008, 05:16 PM

I soaked some in garlic salt and fresh garlic for a few days and threw it on the BBQ for a bit and it looked great. I didn't get any cats on it but I also didn't get into any cats that weekend. I might try it again someday. :D

chefchandler
11-16-2008, 09:42 PM
My buddy caught this cat with Berkeley Corn Powerbait. *We got him at about 8 in the mornin at del valle. We have tried catfishing with worms and liver but never landed one. *didnt think wene trout fishing we would land this thing... ;D
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/shawnchandler/cat.jpg

MB_Kevin
11-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Del Valle cats are weird. The first time I took Panfish Popper there. I threw a bobber out with a night crawler under a tree that just covered the water hoping for a blue gill. We went back to the boat to get a soda and the bobber was washed up on shore. I looked over a min later and it was gone. I told popper to go check it but didn't think much of it and he pulled in about a 5#er. So we tried it again...BAM another one about the same size. Then a third. He wanted to keep them all as he was only around 10 so I told him we had to move on. I think we could have done that all day. ;D

Globetrouter
11-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Del Valle cats are weird. *The first time I took Panfish Popper there. I threw a bobber out with a night crawler under a tree that just covered the water hoping for a blue gill. *We went back to the boat to get a soda and the bobber was washed up on shore. *I looked over a min later and it was gone. *I told popper to go check it but didn't think much of it and he pulled in about a 5#er. *So we tried it again...BAM another one about the same size. *Then a third. *He wanted to keep them all as he was only around 10 so I told him we had to move on. *I think we could have done that all day.
;D

I agree! I took my kid there in the summer for Stripers and Cats and while fishing with liver he caught a 5lb rainbow trout! ;D. Strange lake indeed. Oh I second the corn. I was carp fishing while my buddy's cat fished. I caught more cats than they did using corn. That was nice cause my hand didn't reek of bait for the next day like theirs! ;)

Thanks for all of the bait ideas!

[smiley=fishing5.gif]

okie
11-18-2008, 09:00 AM
haven't fished for cats since '60, but back in oklahoma the best cat bait was chicken guts, then chkn liver, then shrimp.
would really like to get a few 3 or 4 lb channel cats. that was the only fish i ate till i joined the navy.
bill

MontanaN8V
11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Bill, we have been hammering the white cats out in the port of sac at night with my kids, come on out and we can make a night out of it, but you have to promise to cook up some meatballs.

Rich

tdekens
01-01-2009, 09:09 AM
The best bait I have seen for cats is duck guts. Then when the water floods out of the banks and onto the grasslands etc its all about earthworms.

Mark_Woodard
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I have a buddy who ive seen catch them on salami believe it or not. the oil in the meat attracts them i think

sean_mcguire
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM
that is really weird, but hey cats eat just about anything. ;D

MB_Kevin
01-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I met a guy fishing one day and he said his Friend always got them on salami.

chevyguy01
01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
i use anchovies

DazShooter
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
The best bait I have seen for cats is duck guts. Then when the water floods out of the banks and onto the grasslands etc its all about earthworms.

A little "blast and cast"....I like it!

greggywhat
02-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Duck guts number one and there free then comes bluegill and then jumbo minnows all freee bait.

MontanaN8V
02-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I catch all the cats I want while striper fishing with sardines.

TomO
02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
During the summer months when folks are having picnics, the catfish bait of choice is a piece of hot dog. I guess folks throw the burnt ones
in the water and cat fish get a taste for them. It really works well.

Fishn_it_Reel
02-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey c@tfish 101 u suk!!! muahahahahah jkjkjk well i have never been wronged using good ole chicken liver. Ive used it at folsom and its produced big cats. Ive used it at gibson ranch and its producec big cats. And ive used it when others were using somethin different and they got skunked but i didnt. So liver is my bait of choice!

Rusty_Hooks
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
most all of them will get you cats....

but if you really want to add onions to the frying liver...

I'd have a hard time leaving that alone myself ;) ;D ;D

dinos marine
02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
beef brains. seen some guys catching some monster fish in the marysville area on it. pretty gross, but they had some monster fish.

BIG_ONE
02-17-2009, 09:16 PM
soft shell crawdad...can never beat it, will never beat it, and just never. ;D

sean_mcguire
02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
hey fishin it reel... dont make me tell all these sniffers about the time i caught you wearing a thong and one of your wife's bras and singing in the mirror " makin my way down town walking fast faces past and im home bound" ;D

knotgillty
02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
beef brains. seen some guys catching some monster fish in the marysville area on it. pretty gross, but they had some monster fish.Back in the early 90's I had a friend that had some sheep. We heard somewhere that sheep brains worked well for catfish. So he slaughtered one of the sheep and cut the head off. I'll never forget the look of the people fishing on the shore as we walked down to our spot with a sheep head and proceeded to repeatedly hit it with a hammer to try to get into the inside. We worked up a sweat trying to get into that thing. It was a lot tougher than you would imagine. To this day I don't remember if we caught anything, but the looks on other people's faces was priceless. I wish I was still young and stupid. . .

longshot
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Funny stuff there KG..... Plus you are what 6'4' 240 ;) Ok lets just say your a big dude!!!!!!
I have caught cats on allot of different things.... White bread at clearlake fishing for carp catches 2-1 catfish easy.... sooo gotta agree with minnow BUT i think that everything works for cats. If the water is clear then you can go with standard feed like crawdads, shrimp, bread ect. BUT if its dirty spice it up with something nasty!!!!! OK my fav. baut is cheese!!!!!
LS

MB_Kevin
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
You might be a redneck if...

*you'll never forget the look of the people fishing on the shore as we walked down to our spot with a sheep head and proceeded to repeatedly hit it with a hammer to try to get into the inside. ** *

That is some hard core catfishin' *:o *;D ::)

DuxUnlimtd
02-20-2009, 04:40 AM
I usually bring a variety of baits to catfish with. For smaller cats I like clams. For bigger cats I use chovies and mackeral.

matthoff
02-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Back in Nebraska we used to use stinkbait on a sponge. It was called rustys stinkbait. It came in a jar and looked like peanut butter, but down wind you could smell it a half mile away. We would cut big peices of sponge, and dip them in the jar. Worked good in ponds, and on the river. I burried the remains of the bait we used on a striper hunt a few months back in a mason jar in my back yard. I will be digging that up soon and getting the sponges ready.

dbass
02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
By default, Pileworms, I can't seem to keep them kitters off of it when fishing Libson ;) Lagune Creek Park believe it or not Salmon eggs, who would of thought :D

Fish_R_Us
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Once, we were fishing Indian Valley Res. during the fall, when the lake was under drought conditions. We were driving down usually you'd be underwater, next to the big cut trees that are still standing upwards in the middle of the lake. I had an old bag of salted, garlic, and cheese mini-marshmallows that were all stuck together. I tore off a big chunk, about 1/2 baseball size, and kneaded it into a big treble hook. 20 minutes later I caught a fat 8 lb catfish.

F33rNoFish
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
there are quite a few different kinds of kitty bait i have used, but my preference would probably be clams.

very true that the largest i've caught have always been fairly medium sized, but there have been a few large ones.

i've never tried using live/cut bluegills because when i catch blue gills (haven't lately) i normally keep them to fry them up with lemon and salt. LOL

i see all of that canned dip bait, but have never had any luckl and it stinks. my cousin would use that stuff but i never seen him catch anything. has anyone had luck with that stuff?

i tried the hot dog chunks not too long ago and didn't get a bite.

liver works ok, but it slips off quite a bit.

i'm heading over to the delta this sunday and i think i'm going to give the squid a try (have some in the freezer :) )

Phinger28
02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I think i have had good success with sardine chunks or fillets or whole anchovies. They're really oily and put out a great scent trail. You may also be lucky and hook up a striper.

Carpopath
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
i see all of that canned dip bait, but have never had any luckl and it stinks. *my cousin would use that stuff but i never seen him catch anything. *has anyone had luck with that stuff?

I bought some of that berkley carp bait once for the hell of it, what a load of cr#p couldnt even get a catfish on it ;D

liver works ok, but it slips off quite a bit.

Maybe fry it a little to toughen it up

)

MB_Kevin
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Maybe fry it a little to toughen it up
Anyone have any luck with that? I did it once with some garlic and it looked great and stayed on the hook great. I didn't catch any fish on it but I couldn't get any cats that weekend.

MB_Kevin
02-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I cooked mine in a cast iron pan out on the BBQ. It looked great and think it would have worked but the conditions were tuff that weekend at clear lake.

LOST
02-26-2009, 03:10 AM
every year my friends and i go on a camping trip and a couple of years ago it was del valle. i didnt but any bait but we had marinated steak and hot dogs so i brought those along. i was more experienced than my friend so i naturally went for the hot dogs. my friend put on a hunk of steak. as soon as he threw it in he was gettin hits. BIG HITS. but he wouldnt hook up. the i realized the hunk of steak was too thick for the hook. so we tried a smaller piece. and man that was the ticket. we landed TEN 7lb+ catfish in a matter of minutes. after taht we started releasing them cuz it was so much action. and what was awesome was that the steak was so tough, it wouldnt come off the hook. so we kept casting out what was eventually steak that looked like chewed up chewing gum. but they still went for it! that was a great night of fishing that ill never forget.

p.s it was marinated in franks hot sauce, black pepper, salt, and garlic if you must know ;)

BIG_ONE
02-26-2009, 04:13 PM
toughen up chicken liver...beef liver.

fry it = my stomach is available for it ;D

F33rNoFish
03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
so, today i used a bit of the following:

clam - good results 3 cats, 1 striper
mackarel - 1 cat
squid - 1 larger cat
liver - 1 cat
fresh baby cut carp - nothing (netted it on the shore. it was kind hurt)
live minnow - no hook ups/no bites

Wetter209
03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
i see all of that canned dip bait, but have never had any luckl and it stinks. *my cousin would use that stuff but i never seen him catch anything. *has anyone had luck with that stuff?

I Tried Strike King Catfish Dynamite in cheese flavor, It actually worked pretty good. My buddy was using some of the blood flavor at the same time with no luck and switched over to my bait. I'm not much into fishing for cats but I saw it in Walmart and decided to give it a try. The package doesn't say the flavor so if you buy it you have to look at the product number. The last two letter tell yo what flavor it is, such as ch for cheese and bl for blood. I haven't tried the other flavors though.