PDA

View Full Version : Carp Everywhere

Phinger28
10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I decided to spend my Sunday afternoon fishing for bass around some docks at my local river marina. Hooked two and lost one, but while this was happening and just as the sun was starting to go down i witnessed some of carp jumping inside the marina. I thought it was a cool thing to see at first and continued bass fishing, but these carp wouldnt stop jumping, some jumping just feet in front of me and nice sized ones too. Well long story short.. i had to run down to the grocery store buy a loaf of white bread and have at them. I ended the night landing 4 carp on my UL panfish gear one with 4lb line and the other w/ 2lb line ;D. i estimate the fish weighed in at 3, 10, 10 and a big 15#. I also missed several others..all within about two hours of fishing ;D ;D I hooked each fish right on the tip of the lips and all were returned safely to be caught again. I can now say im a carp fan for life, and if any sniffers are interested in some great local C&R action let me know :)!!

Phinger28
10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I forgot to mention that while i was there i saw two jump that i estimate to be at least 30+ lbs :D

MB_Kevin
10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Cool story. Carp can be fun even when fishing for bass. ;)

Phinger28
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
At it again last night..i couldnt resist. Hooked 7 land 5. Two broke off. Missed many takes and even managed to hook a beaver and a bonus catfish that i took home. I know..its kind of sounds unbelievable, but let me take some of you guys there and youll see... :D

Kickin_Bass
10-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Nothing like fighting a huge carp, they pull like a freight train. Must of been fun!

Have you tried a few kernals of corn?

Phinger28
10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Ive only used white bread dough balls..ive thought about trying other bait, but its hard to switch when the white bread works so well

Phinger28
10-21-2008, 03:49 PM
I will be trying again right now.. hopefully the wind around here wont affect the bite. Reports when I return!! ill try to get some pictures too

Phinger28
10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Arrived at the spot and the wind was blowing. Tough to free-line in the wind :-/, but the wind layed down nicely soon after to sun set. Ended to night with 5 carp and 3 bullheads landed, 4 more that broke off and 1 that shook the hook in front of me. I think 4lb test may be too light :-/ i never knew cats like doughballs so much ;).

BIG_ONE
10-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Arrived at the spot and the wind was blowing. *Tough to free-line in the wind :-/, but the wind layed down nicely soon after to sun set. *Ended to night with 5 carp and 3 bullheads landed, *4 more that broke off and 1 that shook the hook in front of me. I think 4lb test may be too light :-/ *i never knew cats like doughballs so much ;).

6lbs then it would be fine if your fishing in ponds and maybe lakes if doesn't have any snags. other wise. 10lbs minimum for my recommendation for the big guys ;)

Phinger28
10-22-2008, 07:44 AM
yeah not many snags there, but i think was putting too much pressure on them. i know i broke some off in the weeds because i felt the line rubbing against it(two nights in a row). The cat i caught on monday that i took home snapped off right as i was beaching him...i think the teeth on the cats are too rough and abrasive for just 4lb. I think i may have to just play them a little better... if that doensnt work im upping to 6lb. i have on rod loaded with 8lb, but i havnt tried it yet. Id imagine it might be a little difficult to cast out a weightless doughball on 8 lb.

Phinger28
10-22-2008, 07:58 AM
ONe more thing..! if any experts out there could help... Ive been having a big problem of missing wayyyy too many takes compared to hookups. Ive been free-lining with the bail open and letting the fish run a little and i have also free-lined with the reel engaged on a balancer. When i let the fish run and i can see the line falling off the spool; i pick it up and swing for the fences.., but ive been missing :-/. Same thing on the balancer, i wait until the rod dips parallel to the water level or further, but when i swing..nothing there, and ive been swinging always on the downward pull of the rod before the fish drops the bait.. Im using a little size 8 gami octo and a doughball about the size of a dime... Any suggestions or tips on how i can turn those missed hookups into fish-ons!

japankokes
10-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Phinger28,

Don't give em any time they will suck and spit in split seconds.I'd go 10lbs. as suggested.These fish are not leader shy and are real brutes when hooked.Even less leader shy when competitive.Go with lighter line and leaders in late late fall and winter when they get finniky.

Your on the right bait!!!

Got a few photos of them in Spring spawing mode going nuts over each other for bread dough.

Check this out
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/RecentPhotosJun2006089.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/RecentPhotosJun2006088.jpg
Nice pig getting away!
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/japankokes/RecentPhotosJun2006087.jpg
They are a lotta fun and it seems your having a great time out there!
Cheers form Japan.
Carp heaven.
Chuck

MinnowMagnet
10-22-2008, 03:12 PM
are they feeding on the surface or on the bottom?

Carpopath
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
ONe more thing..! if any experts out there could help... Ive been having a big problem of missing wayyyy too many takes compared to hookups. *Ive been free-lining with the bail open and letting the fish run a little and i have also free-lined with the reel engaged on a balancer. *When i let the fish run and i can see the line falling off the spool; i pick it up and swing for the fences.., but ive been missing *:-/. *Same thing on the balancer, i wait until the rod dips parallel to the water level or further, but when i swing..nothing there, and ive been swinging always on the downward pull of the rod before the fish drops the bait.. *Im using a little size 8 gami octo and a doughball about the size of a dime... *Any suggestions or tips on how i can turn those missed hookups into fish-ons!

yuou are on the right track, try leaving the point of the hook sticking out theside of the bait, imagine a couple of corn grains on hook shank and the point is at side of them, also try hair rig and possibly a small split shot about 3" from hook.

Phinger28
10-28-2008, 12:11 PM
10-27-8 630pm-830pm Landed 6. 2 pushing 10 lbs. 1 break off. Had a gentleman ask me for my fish, and he seemed offended when i told him id rather release it :-/

rivertamer
10-28-2008, 04:11 PM
It sounds like a blast with the 4lb test and the ultralight-way to go!

Phinger28
10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Served some Humble today.. Only landed two small ones about 3 lbs. I missed so many takedowns and swung so hard i thnk i threw out my back. The frustrating thing is that most were very agressive takes.. :-/

Finesse
10-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Good 8lb line will be perfect, that's what I run for freelining. Also try using size 14 treble hooks when using breads or dough. All my hookups are also in the lips and I feel the hook up ratio is greater then with other said hooks in my experience(check my post). Just give it a try and see how it works for you. Give corn a try also, those river carp love corn with bread wrapped around. I hope this helps you out a little.

Tight Lines!
Sean

Phinger28
10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
1 more try tonight...Ill try those treble hooks and see how they work out.

Phinger28
10-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Last night very slow.. only three takes. Hooked and landed 1. Maybe this low pressure is turning them off...

Oreo
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
yeah, i see big jumping carp in every lake i fish. looks fun to catch but the only carp ive caught was snaged while trout fishing (thought i had a record trout for sure!)

what bait would you use and how would you rig it to catch these jumping carp?

Phinger28
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
i usually fish for carp presenting my bait on the bottom. I have been told that using floating pieces of bread is also a very productive way of catching them when they are on the surface.

Phinger28
12-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Just a little report....I went to the honey hole on last Satuday 11-29 just to check it out. there were two guys fishing there when i arrived and they said they had no bites. i hung around for about another 15 mins and didnt see any fish jumping. i think ill have to wait until spring till they start biting again..

billy sturgeon
12-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Got to love lite lining fishing.

F33rNoFish
12-29-2008, 03:49 PM
hey guys -

so, need a bit of advice here. *i've gone to my local water hole and have found that there are huge carp living there. *no one ever really fishes there and so they've grown fairly large.

anyhow, i've tried a few difference rigs and i don't even get a bite!

i know carp bottom feed and also top feed in the mornings and late afternoons, so i've tried two different rigs without luck.

the first one is attached:
http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10118/Carp_Cat%20Rig.jpg

the weight (#2) is attached to the swivel lock at the bottom. it's also doubling as the slider's stopper. the hook has about 5-6 inches of leader so it should still be close to the ground and is attached to the slider's swivel lock so it slides easily when the fish sucks it in to feel no resitance.

the second rig i've used is the pre-made river rigs with the top swivel, two hook eyes and the swivel weight lock at the bottom.

neither has worked.

i even tried a carolina rig on my light bass rod/real today like stated on this thread...well, i assumed it's the rig used that's mentioned. *could be wrong.

any pics or help would be appreciated.

thanks,
daniel

MB_Kevin
12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I have never even thought to use a slider that way. Might work in some situations. When I use a rig like that I put the sinker on the snap attached to the slider and the hook to the snap swivel on the end of the line.
Are you getting bit at all?

MinnowMagnet
12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
your rig is WAY too heavy. Try freelined bread on a light rod with 8lb test and a size 2 or 4 hook.

F33rNoFish
12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I have never even thought to use a slider that way. *Might work in some situations. *When I use a rig like that I put the sinker on the snap attached to the slider and the hook to the snap swivel on the end of the line.
* Are you getting bit at all?

nope. no bites at all. i just figured that the line needed to stay low to the bottom, so i gave this a shot.

you're right, though. normally, i fish the opposite way...sinker on the slider and hook on the end of the leader.

i'll give it a try later this week.

F33rNoFish
12-29-2008, 08:10 PM
your rig is WAY too heavy. Try freelined bread on a light rod with 8lb test and a size 2 or 4 hook.

so...no weight at all? how would you be able to get your hook out into the water? LOL

would a tiny slipshot be too heavy? *i'll see about the hook size and give it another go with this too.

MB_Kevin
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I would listen to minnow magnet. ;)

F33rNoFish
12-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I would listen to minnow magnet. *;)

yup, and i thought of myself as a decent fishing dude, but MM is tops!

14 and travelling the bay for the next big catch.

just showed my 9 yr old his prize catches in the hall of fame thread.

impressive!

MinnowMagnet
12-29-2008, 09:30 PM
use bread for bait and only cast out 15 feet. btw, now that I know where you are fishing, use size 6 live bait hooks and 6lb line.

Phinger28
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes! Magnet has the technique. If you roll the bread ball tight enough, and use light line, it should provide enough weight to cast without a sinker.

F33rNoFish
12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
SWEETNESS...be there today!

F33rNoFish
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
so, i was there for about 45 minutes. not long, but wanted to try MM's rig.

no luck, but will try again.

Jeff213
12-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I would wait until it warms up some to go after carp. Personally I don't fish for carp during the winter. I like to go after steelhead when it is cold and carp when it is warm.

MinnowMagnet
12-31-2008, 09:28 AM
I told him about my east bay honey hole, he should get hooked up. I caught 6 carp up to nearly 9lbs yesterday

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9697/pict0021as4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/258/c9gc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dinos marine
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
mm,
is that a picture from walnut creek?