PDA

View Full Version : new pole, need to find place to put it to use

Danyal
01-02-2009, 02:00 AM
i picked up a 7' med-heavy catmaster combo from walmart, it is to date the heaviest rod i've ever owned. i'd love to find a good place to use it, however i am rather unfamiliar with the area(woodland, knights landing) in terms of fishing places. i'd love to start targeting larger cats, which is why i bought the setup. my biggest ever fish was a 12lb channel caught on a 6'6" med rod at a catfish farm, not much of a fish. i'd love to start getting some 15~20lb+ cats but i have no idea where to go and so far i've been very disappointed fishing the sac river, i tried out on second beach for several hours in the middle of the night using prawns and didn't get a single bite.

Bigg A
01-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I've found that shrimp really isnt a hot bait for cats out here. Dont get me wrong, some people have spots where they do good on shrimp, I just never really have too much luck on it except the stocked ponds. KL has the potential and also lisbon slough. If your looking to catch cats consistently I would recomend lisbon in the spring. I have a buddy that I took out with me after I told him about catching them one after the other in the spring. I made him a believer. *;D Most of the fish we average in the spring are anywhere from 2-15#'s. Not super bigg but fun.

Danyal
01-03-2009, 12:21 AM
hell if they're on the small side i'll just use my panfish rod, 7' light action and 4lb line, tons of fun. one after another would be better than one big fish every 3 trips. thanks for the heads up about the shrimp, i picked them up because where i used to live(hour and a half south of fresno) i heard from a friend that prawns worked well and i was looking for a good bait that didn't make my hands stink for days, plus they stay on the hook well and are cheap. i've got frozen threadfin shad, a bag of presevered wounded baby shad and a container of catfish dough bait, i also use worms a lot. how do i get to lisbon slough? have you tried the ridge cut slough? i've looked at that almost every time i drive through KL, but i haven't tried it yet, mostly because i haven't found a good place to get down to the water but it looks very intriguing.

fool4fish
01-03-2009, 09:22 AM
another place you can try is the sutter bypass, not to far away. its in between sac and yuba city. another place you can try that holds great eating big cats is folsom lake which also has lots of carp that you can catch for fun. under this topic for cats there are some posts on how to make dough bait for carp. that dough bait also works for cats. if you go to folsom, i would suggest you go to the granite bay side and then drive all the way to the back by dottens point and try your luck there. you can also try for the bass there. a bobber with nightcrawlers works great on the spots and smallies, and use chicken liver, jumbo minnows, or mackeral, sardines for the cats also. you would need lighter tackle at folsom, i think your new rig sounds kind of big. med freshwater tackle, 8 lb test is basic for folsom.

SetTheHookMinistry
01-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I live in Woodland and I 2nd the Bypass!!!!!!!! big time . And Ridge Cut Slough holds big cats and bass. Both better by boat but bank is accessable. We use dip/stink baits

Danyal
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
sweet, want to go fishing some time? how do you get down to them by boat?

fool4fish
01-04-2009, 06:11 AM
a canoe would work, anything that you can carry to the water. i have even float tubed it before. there is a current so you need to be aware of that if you boat it. there are also stripers in there as well.

Danyal
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
ah sweet, i've got a pair of hard body kayaks that are easy to carry, or a two person inflatable kayak. where do you put your boat in?

fool4fish
01-05-2009, 08:08 AM
anywhere where there is access to the water. drive your vehicle up to the levee and look for a spot.
i was just thinkin, another place that you can go for catfish is camp far west over in sheriden. water is real low and cats and bass are plentiful.

Danyal
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
where is sheriden? i drove along the river today and found a spot where i can get down to ridge cut slough, can't wait to try it.

Bigg A
01-06-2009, 12:14 AM
If you go and fish camp far west, you'd be safer eating a bag of nickels. That lake has very high levels of mercury. And during the summer months you'll have to deal with the unpleasant visitors that show up to the lake. Scroll through on some of the other posts about CFW and you'll see I'm not the only one who knows about these VISITORS [smiley=guns.gif] [smiley=fencing.gif] Sometimes a body of water can be an awesome place to fish and have fun, but its not worth dealin with unnecessary BS!!! Just my 2 cents

Danyal
01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
how is it in the spring? i practice catch and release, i simply can't cook an edible meal from fish. which area would offer the fastest paced action? i usually only have a couple hours to spend fishing and i'm not a big fan of sitting around for an hour and a half and getting one or two bites and no fish.

Danyal
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
oh and fool4fish, i've got 4 different poles in my trunk, a 7' light action spooled with 4lb line, a 6'6" med with 6lb line, a 6'6" med with 12lb line, and my new 7' med-heavy with, i think, 25lb line. if i need a lighter setup then i've got them. i usually use two poles when i'm fishing, my heavier pole setup fishing the bottom with bait and then either cast small spinners and baits for panfish or fish the surface with a bobber.
530fisher, do you mean sutter bypass or the yolo bypass? the only bypass which i'm familiar with is yolo, under the I5 going out of woodland. i've tried the canal/slough twice and the little canal that runs along main street and dumps into the slough three times and have never gotten a single bite, nor have i seen anybody get a bit, it does look promising though.

Bigg A
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
In my own opinion any spot can be really productive. Its all about presentation,technique and keying in on fish that are holding tight to structure. In the spring time when I fish lisbon slough ( yolo bypass ) the cats will lay in shallow water warming up to the sun and also looking for areas to spawn. Presenting these cats with natural bait will drive'm nuts. Your typical baits like sardines,liver clams,worms etc.. will catch fish but who wants to sit there all day until a bigg one catches the scent after a hundred little ones have ate up most of the bait you brought along for your outing. Try using natural baits that are found in the waters you fish. Also check regulations to see if its legal. Most people go out and throw some bait in the water and sit and wait......... boring. They wait for the bigg one to hunt there offering down [smiley=swimmingfish.gif],but I turn the table and go and hunt them down!! Sometimes it can turn into an all day thing, but once you find'em... ;D. Medium to medium/heavy rods,65# power pro and owner hooks is what I use to get the job done. Somedays can be a bummer and the cats have lock jaw :-X but thats why its called fishin and not catchin!!!! ;)

Danyal
01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
my thoughts on fishing exactly, i'd rather find the fish. how do i get to lisbon slough? i'm pretty sure the yolo bypass is the area under I5 outside of woodland is the yolobypass but the maps i've seen say that the body of water under it is calle the tule canal.

Bigg A
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
my thoughts on fishing exactly, i'd rather find the fish. how do i get to lisbon slough? i'm pretty sure the yolo bypass is the area under I5 outside of woodland is the yolobypass but the maps i've seen say that the body of water under it is calle the tule canal.

Yes that is lisbon slough under the I-5. That slough is also well known for sturgeon fishing. Most of us fish it in the west sac part under the 80 causeway. The section under I-5 is also good when the water gets really high for cats and stripers. *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Danyal
01-07-2009, 10:22 PM
wow, thats amazing, how do the sturgeon and stripers get into it? i've never seen anybody catch a fish there or have i seen any jumping. what would you use to fish it? i've got frozen shad i collected myself, little smokies sausages, nightcrawlers, catfish doughbait and preserved wounded baby shad from walmart.

Bigg A
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
That slough runs side by side with the port of sac. It turns into prospect slough around liberty island and keeps going until it dumps into the sac river and the sac runs all the way to rio vista and then you know what happens from there, the amazing waterways of the delta. Most of the fishing in my opinion in the slough has always produced quality fish with natural bait. You gotta remember that some of these fish have been there for years so they kinda have a thing for fresh natural bait from there own surrondings. Trust me!!!! I've been fishing that slough for years and have found out what works and what doesnt. Either your catchin or just fishin!!! [smiley=angling.gif]

Danyal
01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
what should i be collecting? the closest thing i've got is threadfin i collected in knights landing. i don't really have any traps or nets for catching my own bait, although i do want to get a minnow/crawdad trap.

dbass
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
what should i be collecting? the closest thing i've got is threadfin i collected in knights landing. i don't really have any traps or nets for catching my own bait, although i do want to get a minnow/crawdad trap.

Your on the right track ;)