PDA

View Full Version : Carp Fishing

Fisher_Lady
02-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Just getting into carp fishing, dont have to much experience but tryin to learn. Anyone willing to share some advice. Thanks. I caugt my first one about a month ago and now he got me hooked. ;D

MantecaMatt90
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I am also new to it and would love to know some good spots and whats the best bait to use? I live in Manteca which is just south of stockton and east of tracy. Thank you to all replies

UltraFace
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
two manteca folks, you guys know each other? those pics look like theyve been taken in the same place lol.

anyway i dont know of any spots around manteca, but they are pretty common. ive had no look here in san jose or in my hometown of merced, ive tried a few times and havent got anything.

everyone says bread or corn for hook bait but the folks in europe use boilies and specialized rigs. i suppose they are more advanced as far as carp goes but it also seems like more hassle.

ive tried corn on the hook and bread but ive never got one to bite. the bite is supposed to pick up in spring tho.

nickjew1
02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
lol, yea it looks like the pictures were from the same place. umm the rivers will be slow right now, but ponds n lakes should still have some biting carp. im not too sure whats around manteca except bass pro...bread n corn with a small hook, and light line will work.

Fisher_Lady
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
HA, I DID THINK ANYONE WOULD KNOW. WE'VE BEEN DATIN FOR OVER 3 YEARS. WERE FISHIN BUDDIES. SO HE TAGGED ON TO MINE. I CANT LET HIM OUT FISH ME. I CAUGHT THE FIRST CARP WE EVER SAW, AND WEVE BEEN GOIN OUT TO WITH CORN AND TO THIS POND WE CAUGHT IT IN AND HAVENT SEEN ANOTHER ONE SINCE. I CANT LET HIM GET A BIGGER FISH OR MORE THAN ME. WE WERE USING I THINK IT WAS A SIZE 4 HOOK AND CHICKEN LIVER WHEN WE CAUGHT THE FIRST ONE. WEVE BROUGHT CORN OUT THERE BUT NEVER EVEN GOT A NIBBLE.

MantecaMatt90
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Lol ye good catch guys we do know eachother. We have been dating for about 4 years now and those pics were taken in the exact same spot just revers angle. thanks for the advice. We have a little catfish spot thats not on the map that runs off the sj river and she caught one on chicken liver. It probly weighed 7 pounds give or take. Thanks for your advice guys!!! Mucho appreciated [smiley=cheers.gif]

MantecaMatt90
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
oops 3 years like she said... :-X ;D

Fisher_Lady
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
3 YEARS AND 7 MONTHS!!!

MB_Kevin
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I would recommend trying to make one of these. ;)

carp bait (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1214846800/0#2)

Carpopath
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Near the junction of I5 going east toward mantica there is a reasonable size gravel pit by the look of it to the right of the road it screams carp at me, not sure if you can fish it though and i dont know how to access it, just seen it on my way elsewhere, hope it helps.

striperking13
02-12-2009, 12:06 AM
man.. looks like all these people are scare of giving you guys a good spot to fish for carp. I fish around two rivers for striper, so i ur neck of the wood once in a while. but as far as for carp.....if you dont mind driving to stockton, which is about 15-20 min drive. I would recommend downtown stockton. Weber Point. There's plent of parking space and it's clean and their upgrading the area. But you do need to bring a long net if you wanna land them. I not, ur will just snap ur line as those hogs are HUGE. I am not gonna brag about it, but caught well over 2000lbs last year alone. biggest was about 28lbs. most of them are going to be around 7 to 15lbs. My secret recipe is easy. Corn meal, honey, shredded wheat cereal and a white bread. I recommend cooking corn meal. If u dont want to hassle with mixing or cooking. Go straight Shredded wheat cereal mix with the river water.(Top Secret) bottle water dont work as good. Try it for urself. One last advice, 10lb test line and freeline. No weight, just the plain ol number 4 gatmasu oct hook. I use quality hook so i hardly lose any fish. 10lb cuz it's lots of fun when they run, MORE powerful then striper pound for pound. I call it practice for the big striper runs in the fall. lolz. Hope this helps. FISH ON :-X kinda seal lolz

MantecaMatt90
02-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Thank you to both of you we will def be checking out both those places and mixing that recipe up!!! ;D

nickjew1
02-13-2009, 02:40 AM
you are very lucky mantecamatt, to find a girl who loves to fish! ahhaha. i took my girl out maybe twice... and... well, never agaiin.. good luck carp fishing.

MantecaMatt90
02-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks taco I am lucky. She is a keeper!!! We have lots of fun fishing together!! ;D

Florin
02-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Take Tracy Blvd. west to first Bridge make left go past marina past houses on left the paved road ends and there is a irigation pump on right just go down to the water and fish
The weaties cereal is a good bait mix with river water or strawbery juce

MantecaMatt90
02-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks a bunch florin that is pretty close to where i am!!!

shadbuster
02-14-2009, 11:33 PM
The Stanislaus river that runs under highway 99 in Riverbank holds some monster carp 30+ pounds, I've seen them while striper fishing but have never targeted them. Also that pond you caught the carp out of should hold more try the homemade bait there. *Good luck.

MantecaMatt90
02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Thank you shadbuster i forgot all about the stanislas!!!

dinos marine
02-17-2009, 08:22 PM
guy at work nailsl them on ........................ tortillas.