PDA

View Full Version : Knights landing

oscardawgg
11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Looking to take my faimly out to do some catfishing in Knights landing. Any ideas on a easy place to get to? Been to the hog farm back when i was a kid, but not to sure if its good now. Heard alot about the boat ramp area from the bank.

Just havent been out in awhile so looking for them to have fun in the lousy weather.

dandeuce
11-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Wait until the river floods and actually fish the KL parking lot , casting onto the submerged pavement , try worms/night crawlers . Sounds like BS , give it a try - you'll see !

oscardawgg
11-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Went today with the kids and fished for couple hours. My boy caught a small cat and i ended up catching a carp that was caught on someone elses line. Throw in about 6 more steady bites and it made for a good time. My poles werent setup to well for the current, but being the first time at someplace it worked ok. I will try and get some pics up quick. Any clue on some better cat action though? Carps were pretty heavy and river was lined with boats of people trying for the salmon.

Finesse
11-02-2008, 06:46 PM
The Carp fishing can be good there using the typical baits likes doughs and bread. I do pretty good fishing the mouth of the creek.

Tight Lines!
Sean

fishingfan
11-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I use to fish there all the time but that was way back then when the water was up really high. don't fish there much when the water is low. barely catch anything...

dandeuce
11-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Forgot to mention , besides the parking lot , as the river rises and covers the berms on the levees fish those flooding areas . Lots of brush , might want to use heavier gear , heavy Black Bass or Striper *poles/reels are about right .

Diego916
11-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I've only fished the parking lot area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.801269,-121.723162&spn=0.003006,0.004807&t=h&z=18

Do you guys fish the main river? Can you drive on the levee?

fishingfan
11-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I never fished the main river at Knights Landing. I have always fished the canals. it holds the bigger fish. ;)

oscardawgg
11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
that parking lot is ok. Thats were me and the kids went to. Spent a fair amont of time hooked in underwater trees. Hooked up to alot of lost tackle too. Not too much for bites cause of the flow of water. Lots of foam down there too. Old man came by and told me to cast across the creek for the best bites, but that was around 1 pm at the time. Might try again tomorrow. any ideas on the better spots rather than the end of the parking lot??

Also that whole parking lot goes under water??

dandeuce
11-11-2008, 06:04 PM
When the river floods , which it generally does , you cast into the parking lot ! Sometimes the water comes right up to the gate , nice clean trip , little to no mud . Don't cut the bushes just to the right of the gate for poleholders ! I learned the hard way , its poison oak and had dropped its leaves . If they are letting water out of the dam , fish as close as you can safely get near the dam .

oscardawgg
11-12-2008, 10:28 PM
thanks for the info. I am hoping to get out there this friday with a couple of buddies. Is that parking lot open all night or do they lock up at a certain time.

SetTheHookMinistry
11-13-2008, 04:02 PM
If you are fishin for cats go to the slough behind the dam it has a bunch of spots to pull over and fish. Also has carp bass

oscardawgg
11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Well the report is late and i am sorry for that. We went down next to the parking lot and brought the kids out. 11 people total (6 kids) and enough poles and bait to fish the night away.

Got there around 7 PM and setup everything. My buddy and his wife made a small campfire, but seemed ok. Threw the lines and instantly started getting bites. Could not set a hook though. Fished for a couple of hours with nothing but little nibbles on the poles. Around 10 PM a truck pulled down where we were at and started making all kinds of noise. Started blaring music and ran some generators for light. They fished right next to us for about a hour and then split. Walked over to where they were fishing and picked up a bag load of trash they just chucked out.

Shortly after that the Yolo County Police showed up and informed us that we couldnt have the fire. It wasnt too cold but without the fire it didnt have the same night time feel. We stayed till about 2 am and finally gave up.

Catches for the night were two 7 inch catfish. Nothing else. All in all it was a great time for the kids and the adults enjoyed too. Next time i need to find a better place to catch fish and still be able to have the fire.

But thank you to everyone that helped out, the advice was great and me and my faimly send out our heartfelt thanks :)

BIG_ONE
11-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Well the report is late and i am sorry for that. *We went down next to the parking lot and brought the kids out. *11 people total (6 kids) and enough poles and bait to fish the night away.

Got there around 7 PM and setup everything. *My buddy and his wife made a small campfire, but seemed ok. *Threw the lines and instantly started getting bites. *Could not set a hook though. *Fished for a couple of hours with nothing but little nibbles on the poles. *Around 10 PM a truck pulled down where we were at and started making all kinds of noise. *Started blaring music and ran some generators for light. *They fished right next to us for about a hour and then split. *Walked over to where they were fishing and picked up a bag load of trash they just chucked out.

Shortly after that the Yolo County Police showed up and informed us that we couldnt have the fire. *It wasnt too cold but without the fire it didnt have the same night time feel. *We stayed till about 2 am and finally gave up.

Catches for the night were two 7 inch catfish. *Nothing else. *All in all it was a great time for the kids and the adults enjoyed too. *Next time i need to find a better place to catch fish and still be able to have the fire. *

But thank you to everyone that helped out, the advice was great and me and my faimly send out our heartfelt thanks :)

i believe every single levee out there, its illegal to make any fire as the fire tends to dig up a hole in the mud, once the water raises up and currents are swift, it'll make a bigger hole in em which causes a lot of levee breakage... :-/

i wish it was legal also, but as being said...i don't think you can be ticketed just for making fires to keep yourself alive and enjoying the fun *;) ;D

dispater
11-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Well the report is late and i am sorry for that. *We went down next to the parking lot and brought the kids out. *11 people total (6 kids) and enough poles and bait to fish the night away.

Got there around 7 PM and setup everything. *My buddy and his wife made a small campfire, but seemed ok. *Threw the lines and instantly started getting bites. *Could not set a hook though. *Fished for a couple of hours with nothing but little nibbles on the poles. *Around 10 PM a truck pulled down where we were at and started making all kinds of noise. *Started blaring music and ran some generators for light. *They fished right next to us for about a hour and then split. *Walked over to where they were fishing and picked up a bag load of trash they just chucked out.

Shortly after that the Yolo County Police showed up and informed us that we couldnt have the fire. *It wasnt too cold but without the fire it didnt have the same night time feel. *We stayed till about 2 am and finally gave up.

Catches for the night were two 7 inch catfish. *Nothing else. *All in all it was a great time for the kids and the adults enjoyed too. *Next time i need to find a better place to catch fish and still be able to have the fire. *

*Stands up and waves the BS flag at Oscar.

The bait you caught were not 7", if lucky, they were 3" apiece, and the 1st one was caught by your girl, both were caught on trout trebles!

It was a fun night in many ways, but having to kill the fire was a bummer (if you have a burn permit you can burn on BLM and Dept of Forsetry lands, both used to control a majority of the levees, but not anymore). The sheriff was nice enough to ask us to put it out and I really believe he only came out because of the other group that came down there.

So, no, the count is not 2-0, as if your fish, fully finned can fit into an anchovie can, it is NOT a fish caught!

PorterO
11-20-2008, 10:27 PM
you guys should forget that dam spot. I would at least fish that point on the river across from the boat launch parking lot. Ive had better fishing in the slough behind the damn. If you want a chance at catching something substantial... Just watch out of the poison oak back there, its kinda thick. That sucks about the police coming. Ive had plenty of fires while fishing. No LEO involved though. I'm sure its just because you were in that boat launch area. Ive only caught small bait stealer's in there... One time i saw an Asian guy catch a 15 # carp in there.. went down seeing him fight it... asked him what it was when it was on the bank... said it was a "salmon" Salmon" more like carper haha

Danyal
01-02-2009, 01:30 AM
anybody been there more recently? i went yesterday and got no bites, and i tried fishing at the foot of the dam, off the boat launch and at the mouth, although i was using prawns.

Phinger28
01-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Fishing for cats in the winter is tough. Id try to find the deepest hole around where you are fishing if you want to target them now.

Danyal
01-02-2009, 02:47 AM
i'd be happy catching anything there, even my usual line of hooks under a bobber failed to get any nibbles from the sunfish which are usually all over the boat launch area.

Bigg A
01-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Most people believe that cats are deep this time of year but I catch most of my cats in about 5-10ft of water during late fall early winter. If you find good structure in the area you will find them. They are pretty slow as far as biting but patience will get you the bigg one. Also the winter has an advantage as far as the wet weather goes. Sometimes when it rains dont be afraid to throw on that rain gear and scout around. Lisbon slough is another favorite of mine when it gets cold and the water is high and chocolate milk. Most people associate catfish with warm summer nights but if you poke around a little bit, you'll find that you can catch'em all day long in the 100 degree temps. Always try the unexpected. *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Danyal
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
where is libson slough? and how do i get to the fishing spots? i've been looking got canals, sloughs, creeks etc to fish but aside from the bridge where 113 passes over cache creek, and the canal under I5 and main street in woodland, i haven't found any and haven't caught any fish in them except for some sunfish in cache creek, which is currently almost empty

*Deltadog*
01-14-2009, 06:54 AM
where is libson slough? and how do i get to the fishing spots? i've been looking got canals, sloughs, creeks etc to fish but aside from the bridge where 113 passes over cache creek, and the canal under I5 and main street in woodland, i haven't found any and haven't caught any fish in them except for some sunfish in cache creek, which is currently almost empty
It runs parrallel and is just north of 102 between Woodland and K.L. The roads that head north off 102 will give you access. Also accessible in west sac around the I-5 bridge.
Dog

Danyal
01-14-2009, 09:03 AM
don't you mean east? 102 runs north-south. i've checked out that area but most of what i saw had private property signs posted.

Florin
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
go on hwy 80 west toward davis get off at exit 76 and hold right under freway teke road on leavy and folow to the last parking lot for the best acces

XxNorCalxX
01-23-2009, 02:37 AM
So any new news in Knights landing? I stopped by Tuesday noon to check out the area and water seem really low but. I Plan on going back their to fish in a week since it's been raining. Hows the spot after the dam for cat's??