PDA

View Full Version : Could trout planting ban mean more carp fisherman?

Jeff213
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I was thinking about the new BS trout planting ban.. Maybe it could be used to encourage more fisherman who would be otherwise targeting trout to go after carp? Carp can be INCREDIBLY fun when targeted on trout gear, often more fun than any trout I've ever caught (don't misunderstand me, I love trout fishing).

We should try to encourage all the people who are losing their hatchery trout fishing opportunities to fish for carp instead.

BIG_ONE
11-26-2008, 02:54 AM
yes we can indeed, but they will always say the same thing...carp are dirty and nasty ;D

Phinger28
11-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Dirty and nasty they may be... but fishing for them for sport cant be beat.

metalmouth
11-28-2008, 02:52 PM
They are a great sport fish! I live in trout heaven and still spend days targeting them with flies.

Carpopath
11-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Carp are an non-native invasive species that may be harmful to native fish and amphibians. They are also fun to catch. Their days are numbered in California.

CC

There are other non native species that are predators, but these are held in high esteem, they eat frogs newts etc, but because they make for good eatin thats ok, you kindly admit that carp are fun to catch so when you get over thinking that everything you catch you have to eat you could discover an angling obsession :) I am curious about your statement that carps days in CA are numbered, you either know something that is being kept quite like somesort of genetic eradication program which could have more serious consequencies down the line, theres no way they could afford to poison every lake and river in CA in the same year, or you are listening to the usuall ignorant reterick.

metalmouth
11-28-2008, 10:49 PM
California is bankrupt. They won't be spending money to eradicate Carp any time soon. * ::) :o ;D

Carpopath
11-28-2008, 11:45 PM
The California courts have determined that non-native fish species may be dangerous to California native fish. Cal DFG has been ordered by the court to reduce their fish stocking effort of trout and catfish by 25%. How long will it be until active measures to remove non native species from California waters reguardless of their angling value. I suspect that it will be extremely difficult to get rid of all carp. FYI I grew up fishing Los Angeles surburban waters where the target fish were usually Carp or Bluegill.

CC

Thanks for the reply, hope what your guessing is wrong and if your right the other none native species should be targeted not just the carp, if they do it just to get rid of carp it would be wrong if what they say is true, somehow i doubt it, unless theyre talking about piranas and snakeheads ;D
Like you say theyd never succeed in getting rid of them they should embrace them, theres money in carp angling and if theyre managed sensibly they would become an asset.

BIG_ONE
11-29-2008, 04:25 PM
actually these carp or so called "common/mirror carp" aren't dangerous to the habitat at all, the water would be even dirtier without these critters cleaning the bottom. The only dangerous carp that i know of is the bighead, silver, and grass carp. big head and silver has been known to take people's life and grass carp will clean more than just left over bait etc...they will clean every vegetation out there which makes it a bad habitat (the reason why they name it "grass" carp) lol

UltraFace
12-02-2008, 01:13 AM
i love catching trout but i want to catch a carp regardless of the fish stocking programs. i havent managed to catch one but i have not yet tried boilies or hair rigs. im gonna try for them again when it starts getting a bit warmer ive heard winter is no good for em.

Carpopath
12-02-2008, 07:29 AM
actually these carp or so called "common/mirror carp" aren't dangerous to the habitat at all, the water would be even dirtier without these critters cleaning the bottom. The only dangerous carp that i know of is the bighead, silver, and grass carp. big head and silver has been known to take people's life and grass carp will clean more than just left over bait etc...they will clean every vegetation out there which makes it a bad habitat (the reason why they name it "grass" carp) lol

I think they stock sterile grass carp in some places to help keep the weed under control, i read that it is illeagle to take them aswell.
One of the main carp foods is bloodworms from the bottom, them eating this is also a help with keeping them numbers of insects hatching on the surface like mozzies.

bretmoua
12-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Believe it or not guys, carps taste pretty good. That is if you spend enough time digging out the little bones. I make carp salads all the time and it always runs out. Been waiting to land me a monster so I can feed the whole neighborhood....oops, I mean my family LOL. ;D

BIG_ONE
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Believe it or not guys, carps taste pretty good. *That is if you spend enough time digging out the little bones. *I make carp salads all the time and it always runs out. *Been waiting to land me a monster so I can feed the whole neighborhood....oops, I mean my family LOL. * ;D

same here...same here ;D

UltraFace
12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Believe it or not guys, carps taste pretty good. That is if you spend enough time digging out the little bones. I make carp salads all the time and it always runs out. Been waiting to land me a monster so I can feed the whole neighborhood....oops, I mean my family LOL. ;D

lol, im guessing your hmong. you guys eat some interesting stuff.

striperking13
12-02-2008, 08:53 PM

Hey i am hmong,

and i dont eat carp lolz. :D but i fish the heck out of them though. I own the port of Stockton lolz. You can pretty much ask anyone who walks daily there who's the carp King lolz. ;D But i got tired of fishing for them, since the striper bite has gotten really good. But to busy fighting 8-15lb stripers as of late. Dont even bother to ask me where ;D. All i can say is DELTA lolz. FISH ON

UltraFace
12-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Hey i am hmong,

and i dont eat carp lolz. :D but i fish the heck out of them though. I own the port of Stockton lolz. You can pretty much ask anyone who walks daily there who's the carp King lolz. ;D But i got tired of fishing for them, since the striper bite has gotten really good. But to busy fighting 8-15lb stripers as of late. Dont even bother to ask me where ;D. All i can say is DELTA lolz. FISH ON

haha i think hmongs love fishing in general. i used to live in merced but over here in san jose they dont even know who the hmong people are, they think im talking about mongolians lol. say how do catch all those carp? ive tried putting corn on a hook but all i caught were catfish. do i really need to go out and buy boilies and a baiting needles and use hair rigs?

BIG_ONE
12-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Believe it or not guys, carps taste pretty good. *That is if you spend enough time digging out the little bones. *I make carp salads all the time and it always runs out. *Been waiting to land me a monster so I can feed the whole neighborhood....oops, I mean my family LOL. * ;D

lol, im guessing your hmong. *you guys eat some interesting stuff.

Hey i am hmong,

and i dont eat carp lolz. * :D *but i fish the heck out of them though. *I own the port of Stockton lolz. *You can pretty much ask anyone who walks daily there who's the carp King lolz. * ;D *But i got tired of fishing for them, since the striper bite has gotten really good. *But to busy fighting 8-15lb stripers as of late. *Dont even bother to ask me where *;D. *All i can say is DELTA lolz. FISH ON

haha i think hmongs love fishing in general. *i used to live in merced but over here in san jose they dont even know who the hmong people are, they think im talking about mongolians lol. *say how do catch all those carp? *ive tried putting corn on a hook but all i caught were catfish. *do i really need to go out and buy boilies and a baiting needles and use hair rigs?

no boilies...no hair rigs...cornmeal cornmeal cornmeal #1 ;D

bretmoua
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
If you are using corn only, you have to worry about catfish and blue gills stealing your bait. That's why I smash up the corn and mix them with shredded wheat. Then on top of that, I dip the bait into red jello mix. Try that and see how it goes for you.
As for San Jose and the bay area, I used to live in Belmont....which is only 15 minutes north of San Jose. That area did not have any Hmong at all. So I tried to fit in and said I was Chinese but couldn't speak a single word of it LOL. :D I was over there for school and let me tell you.....there were more foreign exchange students at that school than I have ever seen. Anyways, that's a different story and I'm getting off the topic. ;D

S_L
12-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Carp are an non-native invasive species that may be harmful to native fish and amphibians. They are also fun to catch. Their days are numbered in California.

CC

There are other non native species that are predators, but these are held in high esteem, they eat frogs newts etc, *but because they make for good eatin thats ok, you kindly admit that carp are fun to catch so when you get over thinking that everything you catch you have to eat you could discover an angling obsession :) I am curious about your statement that carps days in CA are numbered, you either know something that is being kept quite like somesort of genetic eradication program which could have more serious consequencies down the line, theres no way they could afford to poison every lake and river in CA in the same year, or you are listening to the usuall ignorant reterick.

Hey, what about striper?
Striper exactly fits with description "non-native invasive species that may be harmful to native fish and amphibians. They are also fun to catch" !!
:D