PDA

View Full Version : Lake Suggestions to Fish,Boat,Camp This Summer

Waterdog
05-23-2017, 12:55 PM
I'm retired and have plenty of time to fish and camp. I'm planning 3 or 4 trips this summer from 3 days to a week at various lakes. Just want to camp, fish and enjoy the outdoors. It will be just me and my dog. (Wife will be traveling with an organization she's in so just me and my dog). I'll be taking my boat an 18' Alumaweld. I've been looking through Tom Steinstra's book California Fishing and have come up with a few places I haven't been.
One lake is Bucks lake, looks like a beautiful decent fishing lake. Any information ya all can give me re Bucks is appreciated. If you can suggest any other lakes please do so. I'm looking for lakes not on the valley floor but 2000 feet or higher. I'll be at lake Shasta for a week in Sept. so that one is off my list.

CrappieJed
05-23-2017, 01:38 PM
I'm retired and have plenty of time to fish and camp. I'm planning 3 or 4 trips this summer from 3 days to a week at various lakes. Just want to camp, fish and enjoy the outdoors. It will be just me and my dog. (Wife will be traveling with an organization she's in so just me and my dog). I'll be taking my boat an 18' Alumaweld. I've been looking through Tom Steinstra's book California Fishing and have come up with a few places I haven't been.
One lake is Bucks lake, looks like a beautiful decent fishing lake. Any information ya all can give me re Bucks is appreciated. If you can suggest any other lakes please do so. I'm looking for lakes not on the valley floor but 2000 feet or higher. I'll be at lake Shasta for a week in Sept. so that one is off my list.
I can tell you place not go lol. Ice house...
I will pm you my favorite spot in the world. Would like bring my lab meet up

Waterdog
05-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Sounds great Jed, my lab is ready to go.

ampm
05-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Bucks is a beautiful place, awesome scenery. Quite a climb up there from Quincy but really spectacular. There's camping or you can stay in one of several lodges, most have ramps/docks for the guests. Trout, macks, koke on the menu.

sutterduckhunter
05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Butt Lake up by Almanor. Nice little lake, big trout, decent campgrounds.

Troutbead
05-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Can't go wrong with Pinecrest for catching lots and lots of planter sized trout.

rjcomp
05-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Bucks is a great place. Go during the week, it can get busy during the summer on weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
05-23-2017, 04:54 PM
the 395 corridor is bad ass, big trout, awesome scenery. I just fished the opener at Crowley for a few days and a day on Convict. They guys I went with were so bummed about fishing (they are used to even better fishing) when day one we caught 16 fish, had a great second day (with bigger but less fish, none being browns), Convict was beautiful but the water was just too cold, I've seen recent reports with big trout. Second day on Crowley was my profile pic, I caught that pig bow and lost a bigger cutty at the net.

BigUnInDaBoat
05-23-2017, 04:57 PM

If you come up to Pedro or Melones and need a partner/deckie let me know. I like to sometimes think I know what I'm doing and am pretty versed with trolling gear.

sawhorseray
05-24-2017, 06:42 AM
I was all set to hit Lake Davis this week before the holiday crowd, then found out the camp grounds are closed till tomorrow (Thursday). I had reliable reports of nice trout being caught, 16"-20" in about 15' of water on frog pattern needlefish in the morning, wee dick nites in the afternoon. I might try next week early, tho going to Flaming Gorge twice this summer for a week each. I go with my wife, and my chocolate lab! 16' Alumaweld Talon. RAY

salmonid
05-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Boca lake is nice and mellow with decent Koke fishing.

fishwrong2
05-24-2017, 07:36 AM
Almanor, Eagle, Shasta, Whiskey Town, Tahoe, Bridgeport, Twin Lakes all have special fisheries that would be worthy of several days.

Bucks is nice, topping small offerings for Kokanee, brookies , and rainbows. Drag the bottom for Mack's. Enjoy.

Fish-on
05-24-2017, 08:49 AM
Dinner up 80 or maybe up 88 with Silver lake (never had much luck there) caples lake, and you can always fish red and blue lake but it would be from shore. Last I heard the higher elevation lakes still have ice in them

CrappieJed
05-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Take 10 days go to Fort Peck res Montana it will blow your mind. Nothing like it in California,Utah or Nevada. If for just the fun read about it. They hot it figured out with twenty pound kings in that reservoir

Waterdog
05-24-2017, 11:00 AM
I am actually planning one trip without the boat and going to a few different mountain lakes accessible by truck (4x4 if necessary.) and fishing from shore and camping, enjoying the outdoors. I was thinking about starting off at a favorite of mine Union lake up hwy 4 and off Spicer rd. A beautiful mountain jewel of a lake. Problem is I believe Spicer road is closed for several months due to winter storm damage. There are a lot of side roads in the Sierras closed due to damage.
So suggestions on smaller mountain lakes to go to without my boat is also appreciated. I just like being "out there". I won't be starting my trips for a month as I'm am recovering from minor surgery.

Snowtrout
05-24-2017, 11:01 AM
As others have said, Bucks, Almanor, Eagle, Davis, Eastern Sierra are all great destinations and at times, fantastic fishing.

Ultimately is really gets down to what you want to catch and where.

Thinking outside the box (state), if you have a week, look at some of the lakes in central Oregon. Thinking way outside of the box, if you have two weeks, go to Sheridan lake in BC. Huge rainbow trout that grow naturally and fight like it. Plus there are nearby lakes that grow 5lb kokes and macs to 20lbs. Been there twice and will go back again. :beer:

fishwrong2
05-24-2017, 11:15 AM
No boat, 395. Dozens of lakes/creeks. Some typical planters, some big planters, some rediculous nice wild fish. Creeks and rivers will take a while to settle down.

Burney & Hat Creek area has a lot of non-boating options too.

Tough thing about fishing around here. Too many choices. Congrats on retirement. You're living the dream.

Waterdog
05-24-2017, 11:36 AM
A lot of great suggestions and advice here. You guys are awesome. Thank you. Keep it coming. I'm retired and financially secure so time to do these things is something I have a lot of. I plan to spend the next few weeks planning and preparing for my trips. As soon as the doctor says I'm good to go I'm gone.

CrappieJed
05-24-2017, 02:43 PM
There is a small lake called shadds...let me look up the town it's nearby nice place camp fish

CrappieJed
05-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Shadds res is near west point and Wilseyville it's in the mountains north east of new Melones. You go back in there by logging truck roads great adventure, you will think your somewhere in smokey mountains just looks different. Oh did I mention great fishing for browns. Bring white Grubbs. Hope you don't mind not being around other humans it can get eerie feeling lol

Waterdog
05-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Thanks Jed, sounds like my kind of place. I like wilderness places with few or no people around. I enjoy solitude. Sounds like a place I may drive up to for an overnight stay. I have a few lonely wilderness lake places I go to when I have the need to get away. Being alone in remote places doesn't bother me. I figure I have myself, my dog and my friend Mr. Ruger or Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson for company.

CrappieJed
05-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Thanks Jed, sounds like my kind of place. I like wilderness places with few or no people around. I enjoy solitude. Sounds like a place I may drive up to for an overnight stay. I have a few lonely wilderness lake places I go to when I have the need to get away. Being alone in remote places doesn't bother me. I figure I have myself, my dog and my friend Mr. Ruger or Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson for company.
Sounds good I was going mention take your hog leg but you got that covered

toomanyhobbies
05-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Can't believe Bridgeport/twin lakes isn't listed yet. Tons of great fishing from the boat and on the rivers and streams in the area. Or as others have suggested further south on 395 around Mammoth there's more great fishing than time to do it.

PapaGreg
05-26-2017, 05:00 PM
NO camping at Schaads and you might want to check before you make the drive. Last year and this year some ass-hats broke the lock on the gate and tore the road up, the people who own the right of way closed it for awhile. They opened it up again, only to have someone go in when the road was wet and tore it up again.

Waterdog
05-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info Greg. I hate AH's like that , they mess it up for everyone.

CrappieJed
05-26-2017, 08:07 PM
NO camping at Schaads and you might want to check before you make the drive. Last year and this year some ass-hats broke the lock on the gate and tore the road up, the people who own the right of way closed it for awhile. They opened it up again, only to have someone go in when the road was wet and tore it up again.
Finally someone knows Shaads Greg you live in that area? I use to live in pioneer how I know the area. You ever heard of tabau lake? probably wrong spelling. Good little lake like shaads near pine grove. If you fished shaads you recall the coon tail aquatic weeds growing in the lake smelled like skunk huh?

PapaGreg
05-27-2017, 05:50 AM
CJ, fished Schaads for many years, back when Effie had the bar open and they had camp grounds near the river. Place went downhill for awhile and then Rick Schaad tried to revive it, he was doing good, but ran into a problem when he locked the gate to keep the riff-raff out. The people who own the right of way now are wanting to keep it open, but the ass-hats need to be gone!

I remember you saying you used to live in Pioneer, we talked about the trout farm that used to be at 88 and Defender grade, when "someone" used to sneak in there and fish! That conversation was before the Sniffer went to Scout and screwed things up.
Remember when "Andy" used to own the store there?

Yes, Tabeau used to be one of my favorite places, but there's now a gate at the dam and you can't drive across it anymore. You have to either walk or come in from the Jackson side to get to that location. Don't know if you've been there recently, but they took a LOT of trees out and it's an easy walk from the parking area to the dam, but I don't like leaving my vehicle out of sight.