PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento shad 6/5/17

QueenAnnesRevenge
06-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Launched out of discovery at 0530, only 2 other trailers
Planned on running down towards garcia or Freeport
Looked below the mouth down past the water pumps and depthfinder lit up like 4th of July. Set hook in 18'
Dropped in, man the current was ripping
3oz took about 45* angle to getbot to hold.
Running grubs and spoons on dropper loops
First hit at 0600, #6 squawfish
Shad started hitting at 0730
Farmed a ton today ended up landing 7 for about 30 hook ups. Good mix of hens in the bunch
Best color was a chartreuse and pink kokanee kandy spoon. Chartreuse grub and head a close second.
Everyone seemed to be hooking up
Water below the mouth was 58
Had to clean grass every 10 mins
A obvious color line was visible with the sac bank cleaner, needless to say the cleaner water provided more hook ups.
Funny thing happened, a boat tried anchoring next to us about 10 times in 20' he had about 24' of rode and a 4# canoe anchor I felt bad and every time he wouldn't hook up her end up below us and gun it out of the hole beneath is
I offered him my spare anchor with 100' of rode to use, and... he cussed at us. I don't think I said it like a donkey but who knows.
It is Fun watching everyone try and land these shad incognito to avoid getting mobbed by boats haha
Saw the sea lion early but he was heading down river
Beautiful spring day on the Sacramento river.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

salmonid
06-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Good trip. Glad they are still biting. I also watched a guy with anchoring issues down there, I think shad season brings out some new boaters.

BassJack
06-09-2017, 09:47 AM
I also used the chartreuse and pink kokanee kandy spoons this year. I caught a few on these, and other on the small Dick Nites. Seem to work better then grubs or flies.

QueenAnnesRevenge
06-09-2017, 12:09 PM
how annoying it is when people have to sit right on top of you. It's not like there is only 1 mile of river within a large metro area. Its the same on the AR, most are polite but.......even the boats crowd those on the bank.
Be safe. Be nice.
With shad it doesn't bother me of folks anchor on top of me. Sturgeon or salmon is another story, hate to lose a fish in someone's anchor line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk