PDA

View Full Version : Good fishing lakes to backpack?

Smittymatt24
06-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Hey there a couple of buddies and I are trying to backpack to a good trout fishing lake in California. The problem is we got so much snow this yr that most places are still inaccessible. We are trying to find a spot with a couple lakes connected or close together. Preferably something 4+ miles so it's not too crowded. Thanks guys.

burninfuel
06-06-2017, 02:37 PM
you'll need to keep it in lower elevations, lots of snow on hwy 88 and lakes still frozen.
do 4-5000' elevations, better fishing and snow doesn't stack below 6000'
where are you heading to ?

Smittymatt24
06-06-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm not quite sure exactly where we are going to go, but that's what I was thinking I needed to stay under 6000ft. I have been doing some research on old threads here and on the Internet. I found island and twins lakes but that is about 5 hours from me (I'm in the Sacramento area). I also found dinkey lake but the snow was still too deep when I called the forestry service. Any lakes or areas of California you can maybe suggest?

burninfuel
06-06-2017, 04:14 PM
same thread by another guy, do hwy 88. but i like above hwy 80.
Jackson Meadows, 5 or more lakes in the Yuba gap, Bowman, and 5-7 more where hwy 20 goes east into hwy 80.

dinasnore
06-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Hey there a couple of buddies and I are trying to backpack to a good trout fishing lake in California. The problem is we got so much snow this yr that most places are still inaccessible. We are trying to find a spot with a couple lakes connected or close together. Preferably something 4+ miles so it's not too crowded. Thanks guys.

Probably going to be a little longer for any of the lakes above 6000 ft. Sonora Pass still snowed in or I would suggest Kibby which is about the same elevation.