PDA

View Full Version : Pond Cats

reelcreative
10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Taking my 7 yr old daughter to some ponds tomorrow, she dying to catch a catfish. I've had her on Bluegill and LMB but she now is hooked on cats. We'll be heading out at 7am till about 11am. I have some nightcrawlers and chicken livers, but what would be better than these for pond fishing? Dynamite bait, mackerel? Your help is appreciated.

riverboi
10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Sometimes I find that the cormeal mixtures as if your fishing for carp work pretty well for small pond cats. And if theres carp in the area, might even catch get her a big pretty goldfish! I'd say liver and worms will do the trick though, with liver catching more.

reelcreative
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Slip sinker and a 3 ft lead sound about right? What size hook is appropriate for a catfish?

riverboi
10-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't be able to decide on the weight or not unless I saw the place you were fishing but, I like to fish weightless when I can. If you need a weight, slip weight is the way to go, and 3 feet might be a little long of a leader... why?... because people always say 12-24 inches... no clue why though...

reelcreative
10-17-2008, 01:33 PM
We're just going to hit some local small ponds near Fair Oaks, so I will be fishing on the bottom. I'll probably us a small split shot and then a 2 ft lead ;) Thanks for the info.

I heard mackerel works well but I didn't see any at the store and the bait shop is out of the way.

Phinger28
10-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I like to use big fat crawlers in ponds. Inflate them if there are a lot of weeds on the bottom

sean_mcguire
10-19-2008, 06:53 PM
i would have to say put on a slip sinker and use a night crawler.(thats how i caught mine at gibson ranch pond) or you can use chicken liver.
also you can use a bobber and adjust it about four or five feet. with a night crawler. that also works ;D