PDA

View Full Version : Verona 08/08/08

tangofox1
08-08-2008, 06:34 PM
The Olympics may have just started but it sure seems like the fishing season has yet to follow suit.

Hi all,

I guess I've been a 'lurker' (I think that's the term?) for about 8 months logging in here and there and I learned some really great stuff from the posts. I realized it's about time I started trying to get involved a lil more in the community, so, I gotta say, I'm happy to finally be a 'real' poster!

I brought my digital camera with me out to Verona today and was all ready to include neat pictures with my first post and of course, the fish did not oblige. I don't know what it is this summer, but the river has really been total bust for my dad and I. We've been fishing for a very long time and had some pretty great runs on the river as bank fisherman, but up in Verona, down in Freeport, and even in our best spots in San Pablo Bay, this summer has been total kaput. Trash fish here and there and even they aren't that consistent. What's going on?

I've been reading some great posts from people in the Delta and I don't know if it's the added advantage of mobility in a boat or that a lot of posts have been from the various motherlode and local lakes, but this summer has been really bad for my fishing season.

Are any other bank fisherman experiencing this? I read posts like MinnowMagnet and I'm blown away and at the same time starting to think I've become cursed. I spent a whole 7 hours at Verona using doughballs and corn (hair rigged, of course), and worms. Nada! Not a single bite.

I just gotta know . . . . is anyone finding this to be true this summer? Does anyone know why? Does anyone know when it's gonna be over? I feel like a real noob these days! I'm going to go stir crazy unless I can hook into something significant soon!! :D

metalmouth
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Welcome TF1! I look forward to your posts. Hope someone can answer your question about the slow fishing. Looking forward to the pics.

MM

MB_Kevin
08-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the boards! I hope your luck changes. I guess that is why they call it fishing. Sometimes the best of us go threw some dry spells and other times we hit it BIG. Just have to keep trying and asking questions here. It has helped me out a lot in getting into fish.

tangofox1
08-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, I hope I have better reports and pictures to come. I swear, I haven't had a good fish in about the last 6-7 outings. That puts me at about a 2-3 month dry spell. I know we're in a drought, but this is getting ridiculous. :p

Big O Tires Angler
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Hahaha, I totally feel your pain! I'm new to the board, nice to meet you!

I don't have the benefit of a boat so I've been fishing from the bank for the past year and it shames me to say that I've been SKUNKED every single time I've gone fishing at Del Valle, the one time I went to McSwain, and the numerous times I've been fishing the Stanislaus! :-[

But I've been having very good luck at the Delta in Stockton...tried it a couple times in Tracy and Mountain House without any luck though. I'm thinking the reason that every time I go to Tracy or Mountain House and don't catch a fish is because I'm too busy getting drunk with my buds. 8-)

copilot
08-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I feel your pain TF1, actually these past couple years have been slow. Im gonna giver the river a break and head up to shasta this weekend, couple guuys have siad nightcrawler should be all i need so lets hope. Good luck trying to figure it out and if you do, please share the wealth!! ;)

tangofox1
08-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I dunno what it is but I just feel like fishing has gone from being a nice relaxing sunday afternoon to downright aggravating. I don't know if it's a sign of things to come, but things are really starting to slow down.

Does anyone think it has to do with a 'bigger picture' kind of deal? Is fishing pressure in Sacramento finally starting to catch up with us?

I went to my sure-bet spot the other day - sutter bypass - and not a DAMN thing. I spent a solid five hours sweating in the sun (why is it that there's never enough shade there or an nice breeze?) and I got a total of ONE bite. My dad and I were both fishing two rods so we had every thing out there - Nightcrawlers, wright-wrapped sardines, hair-rigged doughballs, and smaller red worm (aka. please anything bite, even a BG would be nice at this point) setup on an ultralight rig.

I even broke out my bass rod for a bit throwing plastic worms, poppers, and frogs. I can't believe the summer season I'm having. Any advice? Kind words from keeping me going mad?

MB_Kevin
08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Keep positive. That is a big part of it. If you are thinking your not going to catch anything it can come threw in your presentation for the bass or whatever.
Im not saying that you are doing that but I would try not to go go back out there thinking Man we have not got any fish in our last few trips...we probably wont get any this time. Try and have the attitude Man we have not gotten any fish in our last few trips so that means we are going to get a huge one this time and go slay them!

Diego916
10-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't know what it is this summer, but the river has really been total bust for my dad and I. We've been fishing for a very long time and had some pretty great runs on the river as bank fisherman, but up in Verona, down in Freeport, and even in our best spots in San Pablo Bay, this summer has been total kaput. Trash fish here and there and even they aren't that consistent. What's going on?

I've been reading some great posts from people in the Delta and I don't know if it's the added advantage of mobility in a boat or that a lot of posts have been from the various motherlode and local lakes, but this summer has been really bad for my fishing season.

Are any other bank fisherman experiencing this? I read posts like MinnowMagnet and I'm blown away and at the same time starting to think I've become cursed. I spent a whole 7 hours at Verona using doughballs and corn (hair rigged, of course), and worms. Nada! Not a single bite.

I just gotta know . . . . is anyone finding this to be true this summer? Does anyone know why? Does anyone know when it's gonna be over? I feel like a real noob these days! I'm going to go stir crazy unless I can hook into something significant soon!! *:D

Yes! You are not the only one. I have no idea why, but for me the fishing in the rivers and delta has stunk this year. It could be low water, sea lions and cormorants, pollutants, over fishing...who knows? All I know is the fish aren't there this year in the numbers they usually are.

nickjew1
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck, but it happens to everyone. just keep at it, and maybe change up your approach to fishing. It's been real slow this year for me too. but dont give up! they're out there! you can always use liver too.

Phinger28
10-07-2008, 08:50 PM
You can always hire a guide or go on a party boat if it has really been too bad.

crazyted
10-10-2008, 06:41 AM
start changing one thing per trip

bait

time of day

target fish!!! ( a good summer day of sharkin/bat ray catchin cures a skunk like nothing else)