PDA

View Full Version : CDFW plants, Caples

Stickman
06-16-2017, 07:45 PM
I spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to find when CDFW will be planting Caples Lake and I came up with zip. I have never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed, so maybe someone out there in "Sniffer" land could clue me in on how to find that info. As it looks right now, there are no plants scheduled for Caples. Any help would be appreciated!

Stickman

Nelsons
06-16-2017, 09:16 PM
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/ I looked here, and I could not find anything on Caples. I would call the hatchery that plants that lake and ask. I know a couple of lakes were double planted last year and not scheduled to be planted at all this year.

Stickman
06-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Hey, Nelsons
Thanks for taking the time to look at the CDFW site. I assumed I was somehow missing the info on Caples. I will make a call on Monday and report back.

whalonem
06-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Call this number and ask for Mr. Rowan, 358 2884 or 4 Whalonem

Jay_R
06-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Call this number and ask for Mr. Rowan, 358 2884 or 4 Whalonem

Close: 358-2883.

Caples got a load of fingerling Browns on 6/6. Fingerling and other put and grow plants don't go on the website though since they won't be ready to catch for a year or so.

American River Hatchery is shooting to get the first catchable rainbow plants to Caples the first week of July. Things are a little behind schedule in the higher elevation waters right now due to the late accessibility from all the snow and the fish are a little behind in size this year because they weren't eating much when the water was really turbid this winter. We currently have a lot of rainbows on hand that are just getting up to the catchable size and are trying to get them out the door as quickly as possible.

Quite a few waters in that area are on the schedule for this and next week as well.

Stickman
06-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Holy cow, Jay_R

Thank you for the authoritative report! I did "private message" whalonem to say thanks for the phone number but two days of minor family emergencies have kept me from making the call or even thinking about fishing until late in the evening when I go to the forums to learn from my fellow anglers. Thank you also for the correction on the phone number. I have been fishing Caples several times a year in all conditions (except ice fishing) and have to admit it is one of my favorite lakes from the boat or the bank. I do appreciate your helping us out with the 411 on the stocking programs.

Stickman

Jay_R
06-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Holy cow, Jay_R

Thank you for the authoritative report! I did "private message" whalonem to say thanks for the phone number but two days of minor family emergencies have kept me from making the call or even thinking about fishing until late in the evening when I go to the forums to learn from my fellow anglers. Thank you also for the correction on the phone number. I have been fishing Caples several times a year in all conditions (except ice fishing) and have to admit it is one of my favorite lakes from the boat or the bank. I do appreciate your helping us out with the 411 on the stocking programs.

Stickman

No Problem.
They actually had a last minute cancellation in a plant last week due to an unexpected road closure so they went to Caples instead.

Stickman
06-27-2017, 03:19 AM
No Problem.
They actually had a last minute cancellation in a plant last week due to an unexpected road closure so they went to Caples instead.

Excellent! Thank you for the update, J_R. This has been the spring (and now summer) of road closures and late campground openings. Such is the price for a record setting snow pack! July should be good fishing in the Sierras.