PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your carp?

MinnowMagnet
10-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I am just woundering what you do with the carp you catch? Votes are anymous and guest can also vote.

outdoorsman
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Personally I do not care for them. I cant stand waiting around for a fish to bite, so I just flat out dont fish for them. That being said, anyone who htrows them up on the bank has some issues with me. Its still a fish and it doesnt doeserve that. But when they are floating at CL the situation doesnt look bad to me.

okie
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
haven't fished for carp yet, but would like to do some, it is good eatin if fixed right. a lot of my korean friends like it too.
personaly, i dont think any fish should be mistreated, if you catch 1 and dont want it, try to ensure it lives, someone may be tryin to get 1 for supper. we dont want all our fishin to go the way otheras have.

shadbuster
10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I release them or give them away to people who like them. I can't stand people who just throw them up on the bank >:(, if I see it happen I just walk over pick up the fish and put it back in the water.

Trout_Terminator
10-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I release them or give them away to people who like them. *I can't stand people who just throw them up on the bank >:(, if I see it happen I just walk over pick up the fish and put it back in the water.

If you see that call cal tip, cause that is illegal. You have to at least plant it in your own garden... As for me, i could care less about them, they don't effect me, and i don't care to catch them, so i just leave them be.

BIG_ONE
10-06-2008, 06:42 PM
the situation about carp floating at clear...that is heavily bad, thousands of them are dying there. maybe millions.

well, i usually either keep em for some good eating or give them away for anyone who been asking us for some carp ;)

dutra
10-06-2008, 07:13 PM
I release carp but pikeminnow, thats another story

MinnowMagnet
10-06-2008, 08:05 PM
the carp in clear lake are dying because of disease and there are under 10,000 carp efected, still a huge number. BTW, where do you catch pikeminnow, they are native to the sacramento river system, they are only bad up north.

dutra
10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Baum Lake, near Burney,CA. Have caught a lot up there. And Lake Shasta.

FishFiend916
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I never fish for carp, but have caught a few, I've always given them away, But I heard it was illegal to release them??? I was always told you were not supposed to release them,and you were SUPPOSED to just kill them or whatever!!! Is this untrue???

Jeff213
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah that is untrue.. It is illegal to waste them IE: throwing them on the bank to die is illegal.

BIG_ONE
10-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I never fish for carp, but have caught a few, I've always given them away, But I heard it was illegal to release them??? I was always told you were not supposed to release them,and you were SUPPOSED to just kill them or whatever!!! Is this untrue???

if any part of the river in the USA. its not illegal to release, it was for silver and bighead carp early in time when it was first intro into the US and escaped into the river system and out populate all other species, but now fisherman are having fun archering them, and now they are very popular for archering (which should keep the population balance), since silver and bighead gives leaps like no other fish which gave a big challenge for archering...its not illegal to release them, but it sure is to kill them for fun and throw em up on the bank. >:(

catfished
10-07-2008, 07:41 AM
the carp in clear lake are dying because of disease and there are under 10,000 carp efected, still a huge number.

No one knows for sure but I think it may be a lot more than 10,000. Clear Lake is huge and there are many dead carp along the shoreline as well as many carcasses that have become entangled in the weeds so they don't reach the bank. [smiley=sad.gif]

This poll is a great idea Justin, the number of members voting shows how little most people care about carp. [smiley=sad.gif]

crazyted
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
BTW, where do you catch pikeminnow, they are native to the sacramento river system, they are only bad up north.

we catch them all the way up and down the delta in the sj too

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Up north (states around the Great Lakes) it is perfectly fine to catch carps and leave them on the shore... It's such a huge problem up there that their F&G urge people to kill carps...

longshot
10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I really enjoy catching carp esp. on days when other fishing is slow!!! I usually use my crappie pole 4# test and some wonder bread. What a fight those big guys put up!!!
I can tell you this i do not think that the carp impact the bass reproduction as much as people would like to believe. I can also tell you that if you find carp activity you will find bass hanging around with the carp!!! Finding carp rolling ect to me is like finding birds diving.
This is my opinion and nothing more!!! I spend allot of time on the water and have respect for all fish species period
LS

MinnowMagnet
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
the carp in clear lake are dying because of disease and there are under 10,000 carp efected, still a huge number.

No one knows for sure but I think it may be a lot more than 10,000. Clear Lake is huge and there are many dead carp along the shoreline as well as many carcasses that have become entangled in the weeds so they don't reach the bank. [smiley=sad.gif]

This poll is a great idea Justin, the number of members voting shows how little most people care about carp. [smiley=sad.gif]

The death count was under 10,000 last time I checked, but I have not checked for a couple weeks. The NCCC should get on here and try to promote C&R. GO CATCH AND RELEASE A NICE CARP!

catfished
10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
The NCCC should get on here and try to promote C&R. GO CATCH AND RELEASE A NICE CARP!

You have got to be kidding Justin!!!! The management of this board doesn't even allow anyone to post a link to another fishing website because they are so afraid someone might get free advertising. :( How can I promote anything when I can't even mention another site? >:( That's why I and many, many others quit visiting here. The only reason I got into this thread is so I could vote in your poll since you posted about it on our NCCC club forum.

MB_Kevin
10-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I guess the rule is what it is but Im still glad to see you here CatfishEd. I miss your input here on these boards. I wish you would come more often.

Finesse
10-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Catch and release!!

knotgillty
10-08-2008, 06:17 AM
A lot of people have the perception that because carp are such prolific breeders, that they can overpopulate a lake and ultimately, due to sheer numbers, take away or limit the growth of other game fish populations. The fact that carp are not a popular eating fish doesn't help them any.

Thankfully, carp grow big which makes for a fun angling experience. They are one of the smarter fresh water fish as well. Thanks for posting the poll.

cubzzz
10-08-2008, 06:53 AM
I love to fish for carp and always put them back unharmed. I want to catch as many as I can so I would never harm them. In Iowa the Fish and Game had us put them in a special garbage can so they could make fish meal with them. Iowa had a big problem with carp so we did not release them but in California we alway put them back. We need to find out what fish and game wardens have to say about carp.

Jeff

FishFiend916
10-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I would also like too see what a F&G warden would say about this???

BIG_ONE
10-09-2008, 03:32 PM
california F&G says...release, or take it home. NO LITTERING THEM ON THE BANKS ;) :D ;D

Carpopath
10-09-2008, 08:12 PM
the carp in clear lake are dying because of disease and there are under 10,000 carp efected, still a huge number. BTW, where do you catch pikeminnow, they are native to the sacramento river system, they are only bad up north.
In the north like say Humboldt they arent native. They dont have any natural preditors that eat them such as stripers. They also are famous for eating salmon eggs during spawning. Not good. :-?

No LM bass there? i heard a while back that there were pike up that way i would imagine they would eat a lot of small carp, not trying to steer off topic with this so dont ream me ;D

Ugbomb
10-09-2008, 08:38 PM
In Humboldt County they are (Pike Minnow) one of the biggest problems the Eel River has to face. They have no natural preditors like Stripers that eat them. They have taken over the river and have exploded in population. They compete with juvinile salmon and eat eggs while salmon are spawning. They have huge derbys up there every year. Gotta wipe em out. :(

Ugbomb
10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Up there its a six river Costal system. Not designed for bass. It is supposed to be a Salmon, Steelhead and Cutthroat area. Not so much anymore. >:(