PDA

View Full Version : DADGUMIT!

sacfishinfool
09-28-2008, 11:06 AM
So, yesterday around 4:PM I went out fishin' at Howe Ave Access, right by the bridge. I had two poles going, one deep out with a sardine, and the other I was drifting a night crawler under a bobber. The fishing was slow, so I started playing around with the crawdads, when all of the sudden my big ol bobber shot under water! It was only about two feet out from shore, so I was puzzled to what it might be. I reeled it in, and found this to my surprise:
http://www.opportunityca.com/howecat.jpg
Now, this is the American River so I wasn't expecting a catfish. It was only about 8 inches long...sorry the pic is so bad.
So, I figure since there are small ones, there has got to be some big ones out there somewhere. I reeled in my sardine, and swithched to worms then threw the line out a bit deeper to see what would happen. At this time it is about 7:PM After about 10 minutes, my pole starts jerking, and slams pretty hard, but no fish...got my bait. This goes on for the next two hours...just one more cast...all the while I am thinking that the access closes at 10:PM. I start getting hard hits, and thinking that any minute now I am gonna hook that big one.
9:45 rolls around, and I have to force myself to leave because I dont want to end up getting my truck locked in to the parking lot. I am rushing out of there in the dark, and I slip while going down this hill and land hard in the sticker bushes, while sliding down and down..stickers and rocks in my back.
Well, I rush like a madman down this road towrds the access parking lot and finally, I make it to my truck. I threw all of my gear in to the back and get ready to leave when I see the paper under my windshield wiper. A ticket. I drive out towards the access exit, and of course the gates are locked. *>:(
SOO, I call my wife and she comes and gets me (bless her heart!) and get a better look at the ticket the ranger wrote me. $50 for not having a front plate, and $50 for being parked in a closed park. $100. Dadgumit. :(
I caught a 8 inch catfish, a 4 inch pikeminnow, and a 8 inch crawdad, so at least I didn't get skunked ;)
If anyone ever wonders what happens if you don't get out of the park in time, there you have it. They lock your vehicle in and make you pay cash.

MB_Kevin
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
WOW, Sorry to hear about the tickets. Glad you got into some fish.

One time I was fishing Linda mar beach. I didn't know they closed the gate and had asked a girl who seemed to know what she was talking about and she said it was fine. When leaving I realized I was locked in. I thought about it for a while because it was kind of late to call someone to come get us and I didn't want to call the cops to open the gate. There was a walking path there and if you followed it up far enough there was a sandy area I might be able to drive over :-/ ;D With the lights off I creped up the narrow path and gunned it over the sand and somehow didn't get stuck. ::) The sniffer surf fishing crew was just leaving at that time and I guess they seen me.

shadbuster
09-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the ticket, I sometimes leave the jacob myers park in riverbank way late, the park attendant just leaves the gate open and asks us to lock it when we leave, I never knew you could get fined for not leaving on time.

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
09-29-2008, 06:58 AM
It's a good thing the ranger didn't find you fishing an hour after sun down out there... I heard those tickets have a hefty price tag...

sacfishinfool
09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
It's a good thing the ranger didn't find you fishing an hour after sun down out there... I heard those tickets have a hefty price tag...
So, its not legal to fish after dark on the American River?

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
09-30-2008, 03:12 PM

It is if you're fishing south of the 80 Business (by Cal Expo) ... If you're above (north) it, Legally you can fish from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset.

sacfishinfool
09-30-2008, 04:08 PM

It is if you're fishing south of the 80 Business (by Cal Expo) ... If you're above (north) it, Legally you can fish from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset.

How do you know this?? :o

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-01-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm not sure if it's listed on in the regulations, but this is what everyone has told me before I've started fishing the AR... (i.e. Fisherman's Warehouse, other angler's on the water, etc.) if you ever stop in at Fisherman's Warehouse or see a ranger at the AR ask them to verify.

Is there any other sniffer that may be able to shine the light on this?

If this isn't the case I wonder why anglers at the hatchery would get tickets for fishing late? Heck.. I'll start fishing later into the evening too if you can legally....

sacfishinfool
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Yea, I would like to know too! I think parts of the AR would be good night fishing! :)

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Yes it would be good... But... Here ya go...

Article 2 Section 3 (online booklet)...

Article 2. Fishing Hours

3.00. Fishing Hours.
(a) Day Defined: One hour before sunrise to
one hour after sunset. Remaining hours are
night.
(b) All fish may be taken day or night, except
as follows:
(1) WATERS WITH RESTRICTED FISHING
HOURS FOR ALL SPECIES:
(A) American River between Business 80
and Nimbus Dam (Sacramento Co.): Night
fishing prohibited.

sacfishinfool
10-02-2008, 08:12 AM
(1) WATERS WITH RESTRICTED FISHING
HOURS FOR ALL SPECIES:
(A) American River between Business 80
and Nimbus Dam (Sacramento Co.): Night
fishing prohibited.

That sucks, but thank you!

FishFiend916
10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
It's good to know that, if I hadn't read those posts, I might have gotten a ticket soon, as I probably should have many times in the past, because I've fished out there at night at least a 1/2 dozen times!