PDA

View Full Version : Bank fishing at night

Hooked Up
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I can't go any further than the Delta from SF. I'm figuring the Delta is my best bet, but something closer would be better. I'm trying to get a friend a fish. I'm looking for a drive up and fish spot. Any suggestions?

catfishextremist
08-24-2008, 03:01 PM
if you want to fish for carp, i can just tell u off the top of my head- it's called NICASIO RESERVOIR in Marin, it's a MUST for carp. because all the fishing pressure is on bass, carp populations are out of control- one reason the water is so muddy. you'll get hit in 2 minutes. ;)
as for catfish, you just might want to rethink and head up to the Delta because it is HHHOOOOOTTT!! go to Holland Tract, south, where Delta Road meets a bridge- fish on any side of the bridge- not on the bridge though, on land! catfish jackpot! your friend will be hooked on catfishing for life!!

biggamehunter67
08-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Holland Tract, south, where Delta Road meets a bridge
where is this at

catfishextremist
08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
u can find easy directions on mapquest, it's closer to u than most fishing areas of the delta- use nightcrawlers- good luck!!!

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Nicasio is a good place for carps... You can also get catfish there too...

But if you really want catfish I would suggest the delta. Liver, Sardines, Anchovies, and crawdads (my favorite) will work.... If you're willing to drive up to Sacramento, try the levees and canals located throughout Sac and woodland....

Hooked Up
08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys, you're all awesome. I knew my fellow sniffers would come through for us. I think we'll go with the Delta because I know where you guys are talking about at Holland, but that Nicasio tip definitely has to be explored at a later date.

On another note.....first Carp I ever helped catch and my 5yr old son's first fish ever was a 8lber w/ a 2' long Spider Man fishing pole ;D ;D ;D. Great fight. Awesome experience. I want to do it again now ::).

IT'S ON!!!!.....FISH ON, FISH HARD.

MB_Kevin
08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I would vote for berryessa. *I live near SF and that is where I go for good catfishing. *It is not that much further then the delta. *If you are looking for something close you could always try lake merced. It is not always real productive but sometimes I have better luck there then on long trips and wonder why I drove so far. *If taking a Friend to get a fish I would go somewhere else but if you just want to mess around you can check it out and if you figure out how to get into fish you could take him there.
*Also lake Del Valle is pretty good in Livermore but they close at night.

NorCal2500HD
08-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Berryessa was on fire this weekend with the cats....Lesson learned from this trip, dont buy a cheap stringer...10lbs of fish broke off the stringer when it was tied to the houseboat.

Dustriver
08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Berryessa on fire? have the cats moved to the main body?

MB_Kevin
08-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Berryessa was on fire this weekend with the cats....Lesson learned from this trip, dont buy a cheap stringer...10lbs of fish broke off the stringer when it was tied to the houseboat.
Yea I got my personal best there over 10# I put it on a metal stringer..I know better but when I got back to camp it was so windy I just left it on there. I killed my battery watching tv that night because it was to windy to be out. The next morning I went to show the guy who jumped me my cat and it was gone. :-[ I think he might have believed me with the 5#ers that were still on there. ::)

Hooked Up
08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I would vote for berryessa. *I live near SF and that is where I go for good catfishing. *It is not that much further then the delta. *If you are looking for something close you could always try lake merced. It is not always real productive but sometimes I have better luck there then on long trips and wonder why I drove so far. *If taking a Friend to get a fish I would go somewhere else but if you just want to mess around you can check it out and if you figure out how to get into fish you could take him there.
*Also lake Del Valle is pretty good in Livermore but they close at night.
Well......since I'm getting such good input from everyone, that opens the door for more questions ;D.

MB My buddy is showing a strong interest in fishing. He's been out with me once for nada, so this time I got to get him hooked up. If I take him to Lake Merced it could get him turned off fishing for life ;D ;D. I live 5 minutes from Merced, so I know (too well). Usually fish for bass there, but I got to try Cats at night there (by myself before I drag someone with me.).

The only place I ever fished at Berryessa is Spanish Flat and it's closed now. Any suggestions for a spot there that's not too much of a trek from the truck. At night I don't want to be trying to climb unfamiliar hillsides. I know where Cappel cove is, but is it open at night and do I need to battle for a spot or what?

To anyone and everyone: What do YOU think is the best cat fish rig and bait? I'm trying to learn this catfishing thing, so all input is appreciated.

UltraFace
08-27-2008, 10:38 PM
^i personally love shrimp and crawdad(though I dont know where to get crawdad around here). in my experience it has done just as well as liver, if not better, AND it is more manageable because it stays on the hook well and doesnt stink you up as much. go to your local vietnamese market and get shrimp there because it is usually pretty cheap for a good sized bag. i usually put a shrimp on the hook directly on the line, no weight no swivel or anything and i set my drag real loose so i can hear it when i got one.

keith_thompson
08-28-2008, 08:42 AM
if you want to fish for carp, i can just tell u off the top of my head- it's called NICASIO RESERVOIR in Marin, it's a MUST for carp. because all the fishing pressure is on bass, carp populations are out of control- one reason the water is so muddy. you'll get hit in 2 minutes. * ;)

Where on Nicasio are you guys catching all these carp and what sort of sizes?

catfishextremist
08-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I've been to nicasio several times fishing for carp and my brother caught about about a five pounder and i caught about 2 2lb'ers. but what made me realize nicasio had so many carp was we were getting hit every second! these weren't even small bites either. me and my bro. and a friend were fishing on shore casting probably 25 feet out, using NIGHTCRAWLERS. if u fish nicasio for carp, just remember- the carp there love live, chunky crawlers! i would carp fish nicasio anywhere on the lake, but the place we caught ours was here: as you're going on nicasio valley rd and u can see the lake, stop and park on the shoulder of the road. make sure you're on top of a big rock wall which looks like a small dam on a side of the lake. next, carefully walk down the rockwall, and on the right side of it, you'll see a dirt/rock shore, which is just over a little concrete bridge which is over a big man made pipe. you've off the rockwall now. proceed down the shore line about 30 feet and start fishing. remember to add scent to your bait, as the water is VERY murky, partly due to the massive carp populations which stir the muddy bottom of the lake. you should be fishing a big cove once you get down there.

catfishextremist
08-28-2008, 02:54 PM
about nicasio, remember, as early september hits, water will be the warmest it'll be all year. so don't forget that long casts aren't that important too

MB_Kevin
08-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I live 5 minutes from Merced.

I also live about 5 - 10 min from there. I don't fish it often even with it that close. I know the freshwater fishing options around here are limited.

Hooked Up
08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I live 5 minutes from Merced.

I also live about 5 - 10 min from there. *I don't fish it often even with it that close. *I know the freshwater fishing options around here are limited.
Yeah MB, it sucks we like to (freshwater) fish and have no where to go (excluding Lake Merced). Although I know it will never happen, ::) I dream of the day that they open Crystal Springs to fishermen (and women).

If this Quagga mussel thing limits us to our own county one day, we're screwed. Maybe THEN, they would open Crystal Springs.....yeah right.

MB_Kevin
08-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I dream of the day that they open Crystal Springs to fishermen (and women).

Wouldn't that be great. :D
I drive by there every morning and it is like glass and so nice. The only problem is if they opened it I would probably miss alot of days of work. Driving there and then calling in sick on the way. ::) ;D

Hooked Up
09-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I had to dig this thread up from the dead.

So I finally hit the banks. The 1st time (2 weeks back) wasn't worth a mention. My buddy I've been trying to hook up enjoyed being there, but was kinda itching to go too soon. He doesn't fish hard.....yet.

2nd trip, different buddy (doesn't fish hard, but willing to hang 'til whenever). Still no fish, but I was encouraged and thrilled with quite a few GOOD bites. I'll mention again, I'm new to bankin' for cats (or whatever) is new to me, so right now bites are better than what I've been getting.

So now, my next step is to figure out what it is I can do to hook these fish.

The spot was Holland's Tract levee in the Delta. The bait was shrimp. The rig was a slider w/ clip on sinker, 24" leader w/ 5/0 round cat hook. Conditions were (I think) slack/low tide, no wind.

Bait runners were on, so on the bite.....I would get up close to my stick, wait for another nibble, pull out some slack, pull rod out of holder, turn off bait runner, reel down slack, wait for another nibble then set the hook.......nothing there! This happened over and over.

I could use some tips. Thanks to all.

Carpopath
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Try smaller hooks like #2 or #4, small cats would have to thread themselves onto a 5/0, so they are probably just pulling at the bait and not getting the hook, hence you miss the bite, we catch plenty of them while fishing for carp (as much as i wish they would leave my baits alone ;D ) on smaller hooks than that and sometimes they are big aswell, hope this helps.