PDA

View Full Version : Taking 4 y/o son out for trout

mak2782
06-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Ive taken my son a few times this year for trout and we've been skunked. He really loves it though, we're looking to get him into some trout action this weekend if at all possible. Any recommendations would be fantastic? Live near Lodi. dont mind driving an hour or 2. Dont mind dunking power bait. Also have access to a boat if needed..... feel free to PM me if you'd like. We used to fish spicer a bunch but with that closed we're looking for some new spots.

Just need to get my boy into some action, don't care if smaller fish, planters etc......

thank you in advance!

Kimochou
06-26-2017, 12:46 PM
http://www.ebbettspasssportinggoods.com/articles/fishing-report-pg204.htm

There are many productive places to dunk power bait at Alpine that are not far from the parking lot. White Pines by the dam is pretty close to a sure thing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay_R
06-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Go here and either hit the search button. From there you can drop in the counties you are interested in., Or you can hit the "map it" link which takes you to the bios viewer Fishing guide. A map will pop up that you can then use to go to the area you are interested in. If you click on any of the little pins it will give you all the info on when the water was last stocked, species stocked, along with a description of the water, amenities, etc.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

sollimes
06-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Hit Pincrest, them truck trouts are on the chew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
06-26-2017, 04:57 PM
yea pinecrest is a good choice right now.

Waterdog
06-26-2017, 06:51 PM
From what I've heard Pinecreast may be a good place to try. If I may interject my opinion, just take your son some place where you are pretty assured of catching fish. It doesn't matter what type of fish, bluegill, crappie, catfish, anything as long as you can get your son catching fish. Then you can target specific species. No matter how much your son likes going if he doesn't experience a bunch of catching he may grow bored, it will no longer seem like fun and may not take to fishing with the same passion as you. Wherever you go I hope you and your son catch limits upon limits and make some great memories.

Stickman
06-27-2017, 03:25 AM
From what I've heard Pinecreast may be a good place to try. If I may interject my opinion, just take your son some place where you are pretty assured of catching fish. It doesn't matter what type of fish, bluegill, crappie, catfish, anything as long as you can get your son catching fish. Then you can target specific species. No matter how much your son likes going if he doesn't experience a bunch of catching he may grow bored, it will no longer seem like fun and may not take to fishing with the same passion as you. Wherever you go I hope you and your son catch limits upon limits and make some great memories.

Truer words were never spoken! Excellent advice for getting young anglers set on the path to life-long fishing. Thank you, Waterdog!

mak2782
06-27-2017, 08:38 AM
thank you guys so much for the help. I agree, I need to get him on some fish and I was thinking trout only to get up into the mountains and out of the heat for a bit.

Im not great with crappie spots but if you have any ideas, sure would love to hear em. When I was a kid we snuck onto golf courses after dark and we would absolutely hammer bluegill and a few bass. Very fun times...... probably not a good option for my son until he get older and into his rebellious stage... LOL!

BigUnInDaBoat
06-27-2017, 10:24 AM
thank you guys so much for the help. I agree, I need to get him on some fish and I was thinking trout only to get up into the mountains and out of the heat for a bit.

Im not great with crappie spots but if you have any ideas, sure would love to hear em. When I was a kid we snuck onto golf courses after dark and we would absolutely hammer bluegill and a few bass. Very fun times...... probably not a good option for my son until he get older and into his rebellious stage... LOL!

Bluegill are in the shallows everywhere right now, if they are in a body of water, they should be easy to catch.

Nelsons
06-27-2017, 01:17 PM
White Pines has bluegill, bass, catfish, and planters. Take some red worms and bobbers, power bait for the trout. If the planters don't play you should still catch some small bluegill. At that age action is where its at. If you get your fill there you could always finish the ride up the hill and hit lake Alpine. Almost a guarantee it will be planted this week. Angels creek, in Angels camp gets planted also. If you need some specific directions once you get up there you could always swing into Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods in Arnold.

CrappieJed
06-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Well just don't screw with the greens you should be alright 🙄

Waterdog
06-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Here's another tip for getting kids interested in fishing. Start them fishing with a bobber rig. They love watching the bobber and when you get a bite or nibble they go crazy when the bobber bobs or goes under water. My dad started me off bobber fishing and it still gives me a thrill today bobber fishing.

Troutbead
06-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Take him to a trout farm. There is one in Calistoga and another in Bodega bay.

CrappieJed
06-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Well if your going spend more money then usual...

waterdog is right give them kids best opportunity catch fish just go to Lake Amador take couple chairs few sippy juice drinks PBnJ Samaches sit on the dock, bobbers and worms set two for trout and one for gilberts. then take that feller up to the cafe buy him ice cream cone.
ok yeah I miss my son at that age.
Your son need another GPa I meet you there lol

PS small to medium size Minnows you catch a crappie trout love them too!

Fish-on
06-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Well if you just want to catch a few fish Comanche south shore trout ponds with power bait or the ponds at Alpine Lake are fun. Comanche will cost you a few bucks to get in and fish but less than a 30 min drive from Lodi.

Pinecrest is good but a bit far for a day trip but if you can get a campsite it is a Great Lake for fishing, swimming, camping, etc

mak2782
07-05-2017, 10:10 AM
thanks again guys for all the info. White Pines was a hit, we caught (and lost) plenty. Fun times for the kid. Ill see if I can figure out how to post a few pictures here.