PDA

View Full Version : Donner Lake

Folsomtroller22
07-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Hi fellow anglers. I've driven bye Donner many times over the years and I'm wanting to put the boat on the water there. Since I've never fished the lake, what can anyone who has fished this lake suggest as far as best time to give it a go and where to launch? I've heard it can get quite windy at times. China Cove seems to be a target zone. Any help from those who have experience on this water would be appreciated. Is it worth the trip from Roseville? I understand that there are no guarantees for catching but it appears to be a beautiful lake to try.

salmonid
07-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Besides trout, I've heard the lake also has stunted Kokes.

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Great mackinaw fishery, kokes are smaller than nearby stampede and Boca but tend to be quite numerous. Chartreuse is a great color for mackinaw, normal kokanee stuff works for the sockeye

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

CrappieJed
07-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Good clear water find fish on your graph or bottom bounce threaded night crawlers...slime rockets can't resist

ampm
07-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Hi fellow anglers. I've driven bye Donner many times over the years and I'm wanting to put the boat on the water there. Since I've never fished the lake, what can anyone who has fished this lake suggest as far as best time to give it a go and where to launch? I've heard it can get quite windy at times. China Cove seems to be a target zone. Any help from those who have experience on this water would be appreciated. Is it worth the trip from Roseville? I understand that there are no guarantees for catching but it appears to be a beautiful lake to try.

I fish it every year. You have to get your boat inspected these days before launching, used to do it at the ramp, now you have to drive into Truckee by the airport to get it. Go to the Donnor lake website to get info on the inspection.Trout ten to congregate on the west end, near the boat ramp, and up the north side along the shore by the public piers. I have caught a few out in the main body but not a lot. Kokes are found in China Cove and across over to Loch Lomond Lodge. Macks are usually closer to shore, along the north and south side, but deep, like 80-90 ft.
The winds can really kick up in the afternoon, along with the lake lice, so early mornings are the best times.