PDA

View Full Version : My homemade cornmeal bait worked *PIC*

MB_Kevin
09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I didn't get a chance to fish over the 3 day weekend so I decided to try and make some of that cornmeal bait I have been hearing about on here. *Mostly decided to try it because BIG ONE always talks about it. *Made it after work and headed to this lake by my house that I know has carp in it but have never landed one. *A little while into fishing I got one on that went into the bushes and I had to snap it off. *A while later I got one landed. *It was not that big but still thought it was cool to catch it on a bait I made with stuff in the kitchen. 8-) *We had some other bites but this is the only one landed for our short trip after work and then we had to leave.

Here is a pic of it right after I cooked it and was letting it cool.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1065/1004568pm7.jpg
Here it is on the hook
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2900/1004570fx9.jpg

Here is a pic of panfish popper with it *right before we released it
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6312/1004578gy0.jpg

metalmouth
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Nice work! If you add a packet of clear gelatin while the meal is still warm it will never come off the hook. I also crush 5 star anise into it and it's deadly! We usually mix 1 part white corn meal to 1 part yellow for better scenting in the water. Store in a sealed plastic bag so it doesn't dry out. With that mix you don't need to chum. It kills!

MM

MB_Kevin
09-02-2008, 09:45 PM
What is clear gelatin. Is it with the other jello? I just used yellow corn meal, sugar, vanilla extract and some syrup. It stayed on OK but could have been better. I was able to cast it out and pull it back in a few times without it coming off. Other times it would fall off after pulling it in once. My first try and it worked so I was happy. I would like to try it again so Recipe ideas are great so I can perfect it. I mostly went off of one that Diego had posted because I had all that stuff and then added in some syrup.

metalmouth
09-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Knox gellatin is with the jello products. Follow the directions to disolve it in boiling water, add that and your other ingredients to the meal. You can put a pyramid weight as a sliding rig on and cast it for miles and it stays on the hook! Some Russian guys taught me this while fishing at Lake Elsinore back in the 80's. These guys were pros. *;)

MB_Kevin
09-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks, *I will pick some up with some white corn meal next time Im at the store. *I have been using that tuf-line you recommend in the surf and it seems to work as good as the power pro for casting and all. *I like it because Im not worried about the unexpected break offs.
These carp were shallow so I was fishing with no weight just a hook on the line and flinging it out there.

metalmouth
09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear the line works well! Having confidence in your rigs is half the battle! Back to the show for another 16 hour bout tomorrow! Good Fishing!

Don

Prowler
09-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Man, that bait looks so good I wanna taste it! Nice job on the carp with your own bait, guys.

MB_Kevin
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Good Luck at the show Don.

I did taste it and it wasn't bad. A little sweet ;D Have to try it before you use it. Panfish popper also tried it but spit it out because he said it was fish bait but still tasted good. ;D

metalmouth
09-02-2008, 10:11 PM
When they make it in the South they put strawberry jam on it. ;D

MB_Kevin
09-02-2008, 10:13 PM
When they make it in the South they put strawberry jam on it. *;D
That is what it is missing. I will have to fry some up after I cook it and try it with some strawberry jam ;D

raymac
09-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Try strawberry koolade in your mix. CARP like strawberry.
If you are doing C & R that fish gripper is a little hard on the fish.( Just thinking out loud.) Thanks for sharing.
By the way do any of you visit some of the carp fishing sites on the web.There is some very good info on this subject to be had.
Try this simple one A hands on resipe (mix with hands.)
How much tortillas to add depends on how much bait you want to make
Take corn tortillas. In a bowl,Tear into small pieces. Add a little water.
mix intill you get a dough consisity Add a little masa flour and water. to make it hold together better.Add a flaver Spicey or sweet.
put a couple of kernals of canned sweet corn on a #6 bait holdet hook. Mold some mix (size of a quarter around the hook and corn. this bait can be freelined or on a sliding sinker.

sacfishinfool
09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Cool pics! Thanks for the post. Did you catch that at night?

Old_School
09-03-2008, 08:14 PM
What about a little peanut butter. mmm...a tasty snack and a heck of a bait! Could this be a new marketing idea $$$

shadbuster
09-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the report makes me want to go ahead and try making my own bait, my first and only time I tried making my bait I found out that ants also like sweet stuff, never even made it to the lake, but I think I'll give it another try.

MB_Kevin
09-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Cool pics! Thanks for the post. Did you catch that at night?
We got it just after it got dark. I wish we could have stayed out later. We get them at berryessa at night alot.

Carpopath
09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the report makes me want to go ahead and try making my own bait, my first and only time I tried making my bait I found out that ants also like sweet stuff, never even made it to the lake, but I think I'll give it another try.
Ants = added protien :D

OHV
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
My grandfather came to America in the 80s from Russia and he always loved to fish for carp. He passed down stories of him fishing in Russia and his old secret recipe. Over the years, I found out that this secret recipe was not so secret since all of the carp websites had it and it was basically common knowledge for carp fisherman. But to this day I still swear by it. Caught hundreds of carp on this recipe...

You need:

- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 Cup Flower
- 1/2 pint spring water
- 1 table spoon peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons salt

Recipe

1. Mix cornmeal and flower and put the 1/2 pint of spring water to boil on the stove. Mix in the peanute butter so it dissolves. THis is when the water will foam up in a brownish golden color. Sprinkle the 2 teaspoons of salt into the water/peanutbutter mixture. Turn off the heat on the stove and sprinkle the cornmeal over the mixture. After you sprinkled all of the cornmeal on take it off and put it on a piece of tin foil. About 2 minutes later shape it into a big volcano and make a hole with your finger down the middle. Slowley pour in corn oil into the whole. (any kind of oil will work). Then go watch tv while you keep mixing the dough into a dough ball then smashing it apart and making it adoughball again for about 10 minutes. Add some anise in the dough and then you are done.

BIG_ONE
09-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh yeah good job!!! glad you tried it out *;)
add flour to it for extra toughness of the corn, can't do it in rivers without flours or honey or LOTS of sugar *;D also remember if its not picking up, make sure to have salty cornmeal also and that'll pick em up right up(if they are there ;D). other then that, GOOD JOB! *;)

MB_Kevin
09-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Oh yea that was the other ingredient I added was honey. *I knew I forgot to mention one. *It is one of the recipes from above cornmeal delight and I added extra sugar and some syrup.
Thanks big one I will throw in some flower and stuff next time. I want to go try it again soon.

gearbox
09-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Half a jigger of Johnny Walker for good measure.

Berryessa Kid
09-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Hey MB, Great topic. Thanks to everyone for the tips and recipes. I have been taking notes. Gonna try on the Berryessa Carp..... Steve.