PDA

View Full Version : Chicken liver techniques?

sacfishinfool
07-17-2008, 09:04 PM
OK, I have been putting chicken livers on a hook, a big gob of them and tying them on with thread. I have gotten bites, but no lands. Should I hook them a different way? Do nylons work? :-?

BIG_ONE
07-17-2008, 09:16 PM
thats works just fine lol, the bigger the gob the better it is, try using magic thread so the thread doesn't cut through them when the fish bite, so they'll stop pecking on it, it'll work ;)

garrett_s
07-17-2008, 09:25 PM
i dont know why but i have never had a problem using chicken liver. i just get a size 1 hook put the liver on and throw it out :-?

jwstralla
07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
you know i like to use beef liver actually its stays on the hook much better and hooking fish is easy

BIG_ONE
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
yep, thats true, beef stays super good on hooks, don't even need thread, and 1 bait can last you up to 5 cats, depends how much its rip, but its sure darn tough, but one thing...it smells STRONG! so make sure you wash those hand fast before it starts stinking up ;D

fishn4me
07-18-2008, 05:54 AM
If you are having problems with the liver being too thin try soaking in some jello a couple of days before you go out. The jello toughins up the liver, then makes it easier to tie on. Be warned that the jello will stain your hands, I have used this in the past and have done very well. I usually use strawberry jello. Good luck.

sacfishinfool
07-18-2008, 04:25 PM
you know i like to use beef liver actually its stays on the hook much better and hooking fish is easy
So, do the cats like beef liver just as much as they like chicken liver?

BIG_ONE
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
So, do the cats like beef liver just as much as they like chicken liver?

it works just about the same to me, i have a lot of success with both chicken and beef livers...and pork also ;D

sacfishinfool
07-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks fellas, all of you for your input! :)

ken_fishnfool
07-19-2008, 09:30 AM
If the problem is they drop it or just pick at it...go weightless and leave the bail open. It still sinks (takes forever) and they will hold onto it forever. It gives you time to pick up the pole and get ready when they pick it up and start running! ;)
It also helps to anchor right on top of them so you don't have to "cast" the liver. Just a slight toss so it doesn't come flying off...and leave the bail open... :D

sacfishinfool
07-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Last night I went out again and tried using the livers with no thread or anything; with a tiny slide sinker and an even smaller splitshot to keep the sinker back from the hook. I kept getting bites - *left the bail up, kept it all slack but they weren't running with it, they were just tapping. I finally landed one after a couple of hours and it was barely 6 inches long! I think what the problem was is they were all babies and not big enough to put the whole gob and hook in their mouths. :'(

BIG_ONE
07-19-2008, 09:54 AM
well, it is spawning season for cat ;D

M_and_M
08-26-2008, 04:52 AM
heres what i do...buy a tub of liver and then get some chicken hearts. combine the two. let it sit over night and fish with the hearts. stays on and will work just fine

NorCal2500HD
08-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Nylons were a PITA...more hassle then what its worth.....

MB_Kevin
08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
When I have used them in lakes I just hook it threw the best part of the liver I can find. Only once or twice. If I mess with it to much I tear it and it will come off, just gently insert it threw the tuff part and then back into it. Then a gentle cast out anywhere from 10-30 feet. I will usually check it if I don't get bit in about 30 min when camping and usually it is still on or I think it might have fallen off when reeling it in. The best luck I had on it was a time Panfish Popper got a tub of it at lake berryessa that came with garlic flavor. I don't know how they made it garlicky but it was out fishing all our other baits that trip. I just use about a 1/2 sliding sinker then a snap swivel then I put a pre-tied snell hook on that because I usually am to lazy to make a longer one. I keep the bail closed so it will ring the bell and I will know it's on!

NorCal2500HD
08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I usually buy 3-4 tubs at a time when I buy liver being its so inexpensive. Then get a jar of Christopher Ranch Crushed Garlic or any type or crushed garlic for that matter.....its kinda pricey but so far it has produced the most cats ( crushed compared to chopped) out of any other garlic Ive tried. Weird...

So I get home and cut up the livers to a more manageable size....put them back in the container and add 1 heaping spoonful of the crushed garlic and stir it up good. Now let it sit in the fridge for a few days to soak up some garlic. You can also add a bunch of garlic powder as well on top of the crushed.......the odor is pretty strong so be careful, is a good way to get the wifey mad at you for stinking up the kitchen....works great. ;D

sacfishinfool
08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
So, do you tie it to the hook with thread, or do you put it in to little pieces of nylons to keep it on the hook?

Prowler
08-27-2008, 06:52 PM
I usually buy 3-4 tubs at a time when I buy liver being its so inexpensive. Then get a jar of Christopher Ranch Crushed Garlic or any type or crushed garlic for that matter.....its kinda pricey but so far it has produced the most cats ( crushed compared to chopped) out of any other garlic Ive tried. Weird...

So I get home and cut up the livers to a more manageable size....put them back in the container and add 1 heaping spoonful of the crushed garlic and stir it up good. Now let it sit in the fridge for a few days to soak up some garlic. You can also add a bunch of garlic powder as well on top of the crushed.......the odor is pretty strong so be careful, is a good way to get the wifey mad at you for stinking up the kitchen....works great. ;D

I use this method, as well, although I then keep it out in the sun for 6-8 hours to "get ripe". :o We're talkin' two layers of gloves and plenty
of beer, but the cats' love it. ;) :D 8-)

Oh yeah, I just use 7x tippet to wrap it. Lasts about 4 casts.

NorCal2500HD
08-27-2008, 09:24 PM
So, do you tie it to the hook with thread, or do you put it in to little pieces of nylons to keep it on the hook?

lately just been tossing it out gently and its been staying on with no string....nylons are a pain in the rear...more hassle cutting, stuffing, tying then you do fishing......when I tie it on i get a piece about8-10" long and put 1 end between my thumb and pointer on the eye of the hook and just wrap it til there isnt any left....

sacfishinfool
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM

lately just been tossing it out gently and its been staying on with no string....nylons are a pain in the rear...more hassle cutting, stuffing, tying then you do fishing......when I tie it on i get a piece about8-10" long and put 1 end between my thumb and pointer on the eye of the hook and just wrap it til there isnt any left....

Cool, thank you! ;)

UltraFace
08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
this is probably no help to since you probably use liver because its nice and cheap but in the past i have actually put crawdad tails in a thing of liver just as a way to store them and when i used them it produced good bites. crawdad tails and shrimp work great on their own though so im not sure if soaking it in liver juice actually helped at all.

where i come from there are canals all over with plenty of crawdads, a great source of free bait and delicious on their own(like eating tiny lobsters lol), if you know of anywhere around you that crawdads are present i suggest catching some!

sacfishinfool
08-29-2008, 08:07 PM
this is probably no help to since you probably use liver because its nice and cheap but in the past i have actually put crawdad tails in a thing of liver just as a way to store them and when i used them it produced good bites. *crawdad tails and shrimp work great on their own though so im not sure if soaking it in liver juice actually helped at all.

where i come from there are canals all over with plenty of crawdads, a great source of free bait and delicious on their own(like eating tiny lobsters lol), if you know of anywhere around you that crawdads are present i suggest catching some!
I have to agree with you on the crawdad tail thing. I have never put them in livers because they work so good on their own. I know for a fact they work well, when nothing else works, crawdad tails will every time! 8-)

BIG_ONE
08-30-2008, 08:05 PM
if you want that heart pumping action, put on a whole live craw, they'll yank that craw along with your rod ;)