PDA

View Full Version : legalizing chuming while fishing in California

raymac
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
There is a thought being put forth to the carp anglers group here in California about chumming when in the persuit of carp. It is now legal in the Ca delta. Some would like it legal in all waters. Any thoughts on the subject from those that persue these hard fighting fish and those that don't

metalmouth
08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
It won't be happening. They've had those thoughts for a while. ;)

MB_Kevin
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
I might make a trip out to the delta soon. This just reminded me I might want to try out chumming for the carp while Im out there.

Carpopath
08-13-2008, 11:17 PM
It won't be happening. They've had those thoughts for a while. *;)
please sir give some thoughts or reasons, your answeres to raymac are a little cryptic. :)
Does 'it wont be happening" mean you know something the rest of dont and who are "they"

Ugbomb
08-13-2008, 11:32 PM
How would you chum 4 carp? Only place I KINDA chum is the bay. Well its more of an offering to the fish gods! :o

BIG_ONE
08-14-2008, 08:50 AM
it would be legal to chum in other waters if there is no agriculture using the rivers...but with agriculture, closest we can chum now is the delta since its closer to the ocean which will wash out eventually

t20sm65
08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
There is a thought being put forth to the carp anglers group here in California about chumming when in the persuit of carp. It is now legal in the Ca delta. Some would like it legal in all waters. Any thoughts on the subject from those that persue these hard fighting fish and those that don't

Fine idea !! As long as the right person gets it passed by the DFG, and it's not abused.
Spod.

ken_fishnfool
08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
The LAW is what it is dudes!

Best follow it! :-?

AllFishNoWork
08-23-2008, 07:00 PM
It's not chumming until the warden shows up :-?

Florin
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
If legal for carp when it is gowing to stop bass trout....???

Carpopath
08-27-2008, 06:14 AM
please sir give some thoughts or reasons, your answeres to raymac are a little cryptic. :)
Does 'it wont be happening" mean you know something the rest of dont and who are "they"
still no reply, leaves me with the impression that you play in that band 'the good ol boys'

metalmouth
08-27-2008, 06:50 AM
still no reply, leaves me with the impression that you play in that band 'the good ol boys'

In fresh water in most states chumming is considered unfair take. Baiting Game and Fish is frowned on. The other repercussion would be that Carp exist in water inhabited by other game fish and the Fish and Game officers would make no distinction so the act of chumming for trout would be illegal. Because of these gray areas it will never be legal.

Be careful with your impressions. . . 8-)

MM

UltraFace
08-27-2008, 11:12 AM
this may be dumb but why is chumming illegal in the first place? because it increases your chances of catching fish? dont they already have limits on fish you can take to protect fish populations?

metalmouth
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Certain forms of chumming kill fish. Trout cannot digest corn for example. Also, not everyone limits out. Nor should they. *;) Most lakes and rivers couldn't sustain an active population if every one limited out every time. A fishing license isn't a guarantee of fish, just the permit to fish. *:)

Carpopath
08-27-2008, 09:26 PM

In fresh water in most states chumming is considered unfair take. Baiting Game and Fish is frowned on. The other repercussion would be that Carp exist in water inhabited by other game fish and the Fish and Game officers would make no distinction so the act of chumming for trout would be illegal. Because of these gray areas it will never be legal.

Be careful with your impressions. . . * *8-)

MM

Thanks for the reply ;D
As much as i'd like to see it legalised, i think it would be unworkable because the eaters could take advantage in too many ways, it would be a good thing if you were able to have a catch and release licence ,that means your for the high jump if you take or pass fish to others, which allowed a few privilages, i'd pay a bit extra for this and i never take anyfish.
My impression is subsiding ;)

Florin
08-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Eaters know how to fish for carp and the ones I have known do not waste fish nor do they chum just check your local area frequented by some euro's . Carp is aquired taste not for everyone try not to look down on fishermen because of your view carpopath

metalmouth
08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Easy guys. Let's stay on subject. :)

Carpopath
08-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Eaters know how to fish for carp and the ones I have known do not waste fish nor do they chum just check your local area frequented by some euro's . Carp is aquired taste not for everyone try not to look down on fishermen because of your view carpopath

I'll try to explain it a little clearer ;D, carp angler chums area with suitable bait, then a bunch of people fishing for other species move into the area would be an example of the eaters taking advantage by working together. This was not meant to be an atteack on people that eat, my thought on the licence would promote releasing fishalive which if encauraged would be better for all. ;D