PDA

View Full Version : N. Fork Stan Mini Report

timmyt
07-23-2017, 07:34 AM
Ran up to Big Trees and Sourgrass yesterday. River is still high but fishable in Big Trees but no wading. Used salmon eggs, standard leader but ended up having to use 4 BB weights to get it down. Fish were on a good bite, caught about 15, kept 2, most good size. Went about 10 minutes downstream where the water mellows out, bit deep pool. Caught a couple of natives, have a so so picture of it. Threw some flies for a minute but water was just too fast.

Sourgrass was packed by the time I got there. I did see several people with fish. Water there is a bit more wadeable. Did not fish because of the people swimming and fishing already. All in all a pleasant day.

BigUnInDaBoat
07-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Ran up to Big Trees and Sourgrass yesterday. River is still high but fishable in Big Trees but no wading. Used salmon eggs, standard leader but ended up having to use 4 BB weights to get it down. Fish were on a good bite, caught about 15, kept 2, most good size. Went about 10 minutes downstream where the water mellows out, bit deep pool. Caught a couple of natives, have a so so picture of it. Threw some flies for a minute but water was just too fast.

Sourgrass was packed by the time I got there. I did see several people with fish. Water there is a bit more wadeable. Did not fish because of the people swimming and fishing already. All in all a pleasant day.

Wild fish, not native. Good to hear things are becoming fishable.

MtnFisher
07-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Read the East Walker flow is down to 550, rainbows are being caught too. The West Walker is still high but lowering.

Almost hammer time!

phishndad
07-23-2017, 01:39 PM
East walker is on my to do list this season. It was too high to fish when I was up that way a few weeks ago. Glad to hear its coming back down to fishable levels!

stefanoflo
07-23-2017, 08:06 PM

I like Big Trees , always have done well. On a good day you can limit in 2 hours . Campers and swimmers all over . specially at the beach area, but It is a good place to fish . After labor day the Plants stop and the fishing Slows so go support the parks ,pay your 10.00 to get in and hit The Stanislaus and don`t forget Beaver Creeks that has Plants and fish! not many places you Can pay your 10.00 and have 2 streams to fish!
Think of it as 5.00 each stream!