PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Cats

Berryessa Kid
08-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Me and my good friend Jarrod hit Folsom today to try our luck on some whisker fish. We were drifting the flats near Beals Point in 30-60 feet of water. There was a slight breeze and we would let it blow us across the fish. We used clams and livers with 1-2 oz of weight. Had a good day on the cats with one giving us a little comotion 8-) He went just under twenty inches and did not like seeing the bottom of our boat ;D ;D
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6199/img0810gy0.jpg

sacfishinfool
08-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey, thanks for the post and the pic. I have not had any luck at folosm lake with cats, but I am going to keep trying...

BIG_ONE
08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
folsom do hold pretty nice cats...look for mud flats, they r holding well there, the water should be calm by the mud flat and use a bobber there ;)

sacfishinfool
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
folsom do hold pretty nice cats...look for mud flats, they r holding well there, the water should be calm by the mud flat and use a bobber there *;)
During the day?

BIG_ONE
08-11-2008, 08:02 PM
yep, during the day, cats come and sit there at the mud flat, no lice coming around the mud flat or else they'll end up getting mud all over them ;)

jpangie707
08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I'll be out there camping @ the end of the month, dont know what camp sight I'll be at but I know I'm bringin my gear w/me. Whatchu think striper gear w/liver,clams and chovies would be alright. I'll post a report w/pix if I get into em'. 8-) What other species are in that lake?

BIG_ONE
08-12-2008, 12:01 AM
lunkers(large/spotted/smallmouth(maybe)...redear...bluegills...carp...ca t, and king salmon =P

knotgillty
08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
yep, during the day, cats come and sit there at the mud flatJust curious, what do you mean when you say 'mud flat'. *Other than a few rocks here and there, the whole lake has a mud bottom (water + dirt = mud). *Or do you mean mud flats where the water has already receded? Just wondering.

I try to look for areas that have structure such as ledges, creek channels, rocks, or submerged trees. Of course, having a fishfinder helps.

Hey Berryessa Kid, I know it's hard when you are drifting with the wind, but I would try to focus on a little shallower water. The 20 to 40 foot range would be my preference if I was drifting out there (instead of 30 to 60). Just my two cents.

What kind of rig are you drifting with?

Best of luck to you.

Chubbysourus
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
is there anywhere good to bank for catyfishes? 8-)

BIG_ONE
08-12-2008, 10:21 AM
there's a very shallow mud flat about 5-10ft right off the corner of either its beals point or the penninsula area...mud flat on one side of the corner and weed all over the other side of the corner, been years but i think i can still got it in my head ;D

and one thing i can also give you guys info on...there's a parking lot right on top of it ;)

tangofox1
08-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Last time I was out there it looked REALLY low. It took me about 15 minutes of walking just to get to the water from the grassy lawn area. I dunno how that's gonna affect the fishing but I'd guess not well.

I've tried fishing in Folsom for trout but that's about it. Casting Kastmaster's all day from shore didn't strike me as that fun, particularly since I didn't ever catch anything, haha.

Does anyone know if it's legal to chum in Folsom? I'd guess not, but with lakes I'm always aggravated with the lack of movement for most of the fish. I feel within about 30 minutes that if I don't get bit I'm NEVER going to get bit.

Berryessa Kid
08-13-2008, 07:10 AM
We found alot of fish near the Beals Point area. There are several isalnds that are now above water. We saw one guy swimming with his gear from island to island. He was bank fishing the islands and we saw him land a couple of bass.

Knotguilty has good advice. We started in 20' of water near the hazard area by beals point. The hazard area has several bouys around it you can't miss it. There were a few bass guys working around the hazard. We started with 3/8-1/2 oz sliding sinkers, but when the breeze started we went up alittle in weight and just started making drifts over the fish we had located "probably mostly bass" if it was still we would have tried the bobbers. Like the Big One says there are cats there, look for the shallow mud flats. We caught fish right on through midday with the clams doing the best. The water is low but doable. It was nice to have the 5mph speed limit. It kept everbody but fisherpeople out. The ramp has two lanes. The lane on the left "if your standing on shore looking at the ramp" is a little sketchy. The lane drifts off of the pavement and drops into sand. One guy got stuck, but we got him out. Be careful. We saw guys trolling for trout and salmon, we saw guys bass fishing, and we were catfishin [smiley=fishing5.gif]

MB_Kevin
08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I feel within about 30 minutes that if I don't get bit I'm NEVER going to get bit.

You should not let that feeling kick in. *I know I sometimes get that feeling to after a few hours of nothing especially at a new lake but I just keep at it like each cast is a new start.
*Like the only time I fished at Amador. *We got there and fished hard for about 3+ hours without a bite. *We payed a lot of money to fish there and I was beging to think we were going to get skunked. *Panfish Popper would not except that so we just kept at it. *Then we found this one cove in the back and BAM! We ended up getting something like 10 crappie a bunch of Bluegills and I even landed a 3.5 pound bass all within our last hour. Had we given up after the 3 hours that trip would have S*cked instead it was great!

tangofox1
08-14-2008, 01:40 AM
right, haha. you're probably right,I should stay positive. It only takes ONE fish to avoid being skunked. i think i'm getting cynical in my old age!

jpangie707
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Is it ok to fish @ night out there? I hear the rangers our pretty strict.

Trout_Terminator
08-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Is it ok to fish @ night out there? *I hear the rangers our pretty strict. *

You arent supposed to unless you are camping there.