PDA

View Full Version : New Melones 7-27

tortuga
07-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Froggie is in the Bay Area visiting her mom so the dogs and I headed out to the lake. I figured I'd fish for a couple of hours and then we could beach it and cool off. Good plan!
I hit the main lake at like 7:00 and tried all the usual spots and wasn't seeing much. A few marks like 60-80 on the ff and several in the 20s and 30s. I tried til like 10:30 and was following the channel up from the dam on the westside and was reaching to bring in my shallow rod (49 feet) and my silver Apex at 60 feet or so goes crazy...I swear it exploded like a Flaming gorge koke! I grab it and the battle is on! I haven't had that much fun with a trout in a long time...I'd gain some line and he'd take back more than it gave....over and over. Every time it got in sight it would go bonkers again. Finally got it close enough to see it and I realize I'm net boy too! Man that is fun stuff. After a great fight and a pretty good one hand net job I get it in the boat! A beautiful 4 lb 2 oz fatty! That's a reel hoot on my Vance's ul and a 4601 Abu!

So I re-rig and do one more pass and wham I get bit again at the exact same spot...this one didn't feel quite as big but I'll never know...it won the battle. Still a lot of fun. I did 2 or 3 more passes and it just got too hot. We beached on a little island and went swimming for a little while and then came on home...I was off the lake by noon or so, just as the lice were starting to launch. A really fun little trip down to the local lake.

See you out there
Tortuga

I'm going to try and figure out how to get pics off my phone, it's a old LG...maybe!

froggie
07-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Here's the photo of his trout from Melones. Beautiful big one!!

puckinhead
07-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Serious question. What is a lice and why do they like to launch at noon?

BigUnInDaBoat
07-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Serious question. What is a lice and why do they like to launch at noon?

Lake lice are jet skiers, water skiers, wakeboarders, or just the idiots that take their boat out twice a year, clog up the ramp by prepping and loading the boat on the ramp, passing by you at 50mph 30 feet off your stern while trolling.

CrappieJed
07-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Unfortunately the Lice are showing up at 8a at Bass lake. I like to troll with two electric trolling motors in the morning just for the peace and quiet. Enjoy couple cups folders, then here they come some dude his boat with only enough room for couple bicycle seats to sit and these big huge mufflers sticking out about 6' so freaking loud. And Bass lake in that canyon in early am you hear it anywhere on the lake until he's out of jet fuel or his backside is too hot and melting

tortuga
07-30-2017, 04:20 PM
You forgot the giant speakers blasting rap music! I understand wanting to play with your toys but I don't share their enthusiasm for rap!

CrappieJed
07-30-2017, 05:54 PM
You forgot the giant speakers blasting rap music! I understand wanting to play with your toys but I don't share their enthusiasm for rap!
i wouldn't call it music...

Rap may be neat Rap may be king...
but it's for artist who can't sing