PDA

View Full Version : Palomar or improved clinch knot?

Mikfish
08-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Many of you have much more time on the water than I. What knot do you prefer for your leaders to lure/bait? I've been using the Palomar and there are times when the line will break just in front of the knot. Frustrating to lose the fish and lure. I've since started using the improved clinch knot and have not had any breaks.. yet. Which knot do you guys prefer.. any knot that gives you the best hold? Btw.. I use fluoro leaders if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Peepoe
08-02-2017, 08:20 AM
I think the Palomar is for braid, are you using braided line?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mikfish
08-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Sent from my SM-N910V using TapatalkNo, fluoro leader to lure. Main line is braid using alberto knot to fluoro, which I have no problems there. So a Palomar on fluoro or mono is a no go? That would explain a lot right there.

Peepoe
08-02-2017, 08:37 AM
I just checked netknots.com Netknots.com says it great for braid, but doesn't say to not use it on flouro. They also point out a little subtlety that can result in breakage.

dilbeck
08-02-2017, 08:54 AM
I use the improved clinch knot as most of my fishing is just for trout but I've had the improved clinch knot break on me before.

My opinion, there is no perfect knot. Just one that you have confidence in.

Waterdog
08-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Both palomar and improved clinch are strong , great knots. I use both of them 90% plus of the time. Never had a problem with line breaking because of them. They are both simple and easy to tie, and both are extremely strong. If you are talking about tying 2 different line materials then that's another discussion. I probably use palomar 80% of the time and the improved clinch most of the rest of the time.

Mikfish
08-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Both palomar and improved clinch are strong , great knots. I use both of them 90% plus of the time. Never had a problem with line breaking because of them. They are both simple and easy to tie, and both are extremely strong. If you are talking about tying 2 different line materials then that's another discussion. I probably use palomar 80% of the time and the improved clinch most of the rest of the time.I have no problem joining two lines together. In fact the line will break elsewhere before the Alberto Knot will. I guess I will stay with the improved clinch knot since I haven't had any problems with that yet.

Grncrestliner
08-02-2017, 09:55 AM
I am one of those guys that is apparently a little knot challenged when it comes to tying the Palomar. I have gone to the Trilene knot (double loop knot) for 80% of my fluorocarbon or mono knots. It just seemed like the Palomar didn't hold up as well for me. Others think I am nuts and they use the Palomar for everything. I even tie the Trilene on my drop shot rigs. For braid I have gone to a weird version of the Uni knot that some of the bass professionals tie. I also use the Uni knot on my heavier jigs on fluorocarbon.
For me you tie the knot that you tie the best. No knot is good if it isn't tied well and I guess I can't get the Palomar correct all of the time. Yes I have watched hundreds of videos.

fishwrong2
08-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Second what others have said.

Whichever you tie the best. There are lots of reasons knots fail, but simply using a Palomar on florocarbon isn't one. It's normaly because a flaw in the knot or line itself.

One trick is to moisten the knot (spit on it) before you tighten it. It helps a lot by allowing everything to slide and seat properly when tightening. Improve clinch knots are more prone to not dressing correctly.

Another frequent problem is getting small knicks in the line. Weakens the line and doesn't allow the knot to seat. Happens to me a lot when i feel the first 10+ feet of line off the reel. Im cheap and hate cutting off 10-20 feet of line each trip, but im convinced it helps.

Last pontification. Sometimes line degrades in sunlight or with chemicals. Most folks know about the sunlight, but I knocked over a battery once and got acid on my shirt and hands. Didn't realize it for a while and not only did I wind up with holes in my shirt, I had discolored spot where I touched my line on the spool. Noticed it next trip and was weak and brittle.

Just a few of the dumb things I've done over the years. I expect you'll get it dialed in.

chubbswheeler
08-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Whatever you do, "spit on it". She'll never break.... Wait, ya Palomar.

hooks
08-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Palomar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHp9K90eBOs

Kimochou
08-02-2017, 12:46 PM
I read years ago that the Palomar had superior knot strength in relation to the line test. There is some debate about this. Because of that, I use Palomar for terminal tackle and when using 2lb test. I use improved cinch on lures. Mainly because I have to make such a big loop to go over the lure when using a Palomar that I think there is more friction when cinching the knot due to all the line running through. Not sure if there is any reality to that but that's what I have confidence in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
08-02-2017, 12:58 PM

No, a Palomar is for all lines. If you're not sure on am answer, it's probably best to not give the incorrect information.

Jfitalia
08-02-2017, 01:00 PM
It's always Palomar, if the lure is too big than you switch to the San Diego Jam knot. Clinch and Improved clinch great a lot of heat and friction

Peepoe
08-02-2017, 01:50 PM
No, a Palomar is for all lines. If you're not sure on am answer, it's probably best to not give the incorrect information.Hence the word think and a posted link to follow, troll.

Mikfish
08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Thanks for your replies. I've always favored the Palomar simply because it's easy for me and the fact that the line is doubled through the lure or swivel. The trilene knot is like the improved clinch knot, but runs through the swivel twice. These are the three knots I prefer connecting line to lure with the palomar being my first choice. I usually don't change out my leaders every trip out. Maybe I should.

Jfitalia
08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Hence the word think and a posted link to follow, troll.

Me a troll.. No. I just don't post unqualified links. Shoot I can find articles online showing the health benefits of smoking cigarettes

Jfitalia
08-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Hence the word think and a posted link to follow, troll.

There is also no link in your post

Owlman2
08-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Me a troll.. No. I just don't post unqualified links. Shoot I can find articles online showing the health benefits of smoking cigarettes

Sorry man, but you are a textbook troll. I am willing to believe you may not even realize that you are, but you definitely are a troll nonetheless.

It's Ok though. There are many others like you.

Jfitalia
08-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Sorry man, but you are a textbook troll. I am willing to believe you may not even realize that you are, but you definitely are a troll nonetheless.

It's Ok though. There are many others like you.

I know I troll, but that post wasn't me trolling. It was me making a post. Huge difference, thank you for participating and offering nothing... see that's me trolling

QueenAnnesRevenge
08-02-2017, 06:57 PM
I tie a uni, but really it matters knot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

CrappieJed
08-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Ok listen up you participaters, readers, trollers, educators
(Dog) whom ever you are. Uncle Cj going tell you how tie strongest knot. The improved double clinch knot twice strong as Palomar. But this is where guys make the mistake and the knot will break.

When you go around twice on the lure or hook you have to make sure your line is parallel to each other if that line is overriding each other it will cut each other like a saw it's called friction. Get those two lines parallel and finish your improved clinch knot. And it's absolutely correct each fishing trip especially for trophies peel off 20 30 feet off leader. Keep those lines out of the sun and for sure put saliva on the knot before cinching it tight.

Your welcome 🙂

stefanoflo
08-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Really got to love the San Diego jam knot over the Palomar knot on FC

fishwrong2
08-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Really got to love the San Diego jam knot over the Palomar knot on FC

Chalk it up to norcal bias. Trout and Kokanee don't pull like yellowtail.

Plus I don't know how to tie that one.

Jfitalia
08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Chalk it up to norcal bias. Trout and Kokanee don't pull like yellowtail.

Plus I don't know how to tie that one.

If it's strong enough for pelagics it's strong enough for anything. It's a super easy knot to tie. There are a few good videos on YouTube

Jfitalia
08-03-2017, 04:31 PM

Haha I see what you did there

Snowtrout
08-03-2017, 06:22 PM
My opinion: the best knot is one you believe in and tie correctly. I use either the clinch or improved clinch (trilene) knot, depending on line size, when tying to a lure or snap and have never taken the time to learn and try the palomar knot. A good friend of mine only uses the rapala knot (he doesn't trust snaps). All four knots work well, just up to the user to decide which they like and can tie best.

Whichever knot you choose, like others have said, lubricate the knot (spit on it) to prevent line friction, especially when using fluorocarbon.

Mikfish
08-03-2017, 07:54 PM
I spit on my knots.. But probably don't need to since pro-cure goop always manages to get on my hands. If you're drop shotting for bass then you're very much familiar with the Palomar. When I started going after trout I just continued to use it. I was second guessing it after a couple of breaks near the knot. But most likely was compromised from dragging bottom or a hasty tie job. Like I said, I don't replace my leaders every time out. But I will now.. why knot? [emoji23]

timmyt
08-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Also heat will degrade the line. I do not leave my line in the garage during sumer

Mikfish
08-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Also heat will degrade the line. I do not leave my line in the garage during sumerI never thought of that. I store my rods in a shed that gets damn hot. Wife's closet would be perfect [emoji12]

Troutbead
08-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Uni all day every day

FresnoJack
08-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Most likely, the break occurs because the 2 sides of the loop were twisted over each other. The Palomar is a good knot, but it is really easy to tie it 'wrong' and not even realize it.

Here is a video of 2 other knots, the doubled pitzen and the doubled improved clinch. I have been using the doubled pitzen for a few years and have never had a problem. Apparently, many pros and guides use it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxX3--DHQYE&t=130s

Many of you have much more time on the water than I. What knot do you prefer for your leaders to lure/bait? I've been using the Palomar and there are times when the line will break just in front of the knot. Frustrating to lose the fish and lure. I've since started using the improved clinch knot and have not had any breaks.. yet. Which knot do you guys prefer.. any knot that gives you the best hold? Btw.. I use fluoro leaders if it makes a difference.

FresnoJack
08-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Your comment is pure pun-ishment.