PDA

View Full Version : Farm pond catfish bait???

Fishstix024
08-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm gonna be fishings a farm at night in a coupl,e of days. This pond has moderate pressure from bass anglers, but, no one ever fishes for cats. I will be competing against some othere guys in a mock derby. I'm pretty expereinced angler, but, need some bait tips or secrets. There have been rumors of some big boys in there, so, I'm lookin for that "Big Fish Bait"

Fishstix024

BIG_ONE
08-13-2008, 01:01 PM
if its a pond...sardines, shrimp/crawdad, mackerels, chicken liver, beef liver under a bobber would be #1 ;)

Big O Tires Angler
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Grab some panty hose at the store and stuff it full of chicken liver and work it around the hook. Oh, and put lots of garlic into the chicken liver and let it sit out in the sun too :D

tangofox1
08-16-2008, 11:00 PM
At a remote farm location think what kinds of food supplies these guys'll be exposed to at that lake/pond. you really can't go wrong with worms and any other indigenous insectoid species. One of the first things to populate a body of water like that is crawdads but you'll also be targeting a lot of other species like bass (they love 'em! and honestly, would you be complaining about nailing a black bass interspersed among catfish?)

Chicken liver, sardines, and anchovies are just too smelly for them to ignore. But for locations like this, especially areas where they might be exposed to more "agriculture/industrial" forms of feed you really can't beat a dip bait. Look 'em up online, they're all pretty good.

Trout_Terminator
08-16-2008, 11:48 PM
hot dog

-king_fisher-
08-17-2008, 01:13 AM
sunshine and farts could catch pond cats. but really, go with any meat or anything smelly. try out different baits just so you can say "yeah, i caught a fish on dog turd before"

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-18-2008, 12:28 PM
hot dog

+1 .... this stuff works wonders.... ;D

tangofox1
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
hot dogs also float. makes them kind of nice since they stay off the bottom. but keep that in mind when rigging up too, if you make an 18" leader, it's gonna be floating 18" off the ground which might look a lil weird to a catfish.

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-21-2008, 11:23 AM
hot dogs also float. makes them kind of nice since they stay off the bottom. but keep that in mind when rigging up too, if you make an 18" leader, it's gonna be floating 18" off the ground which might look a lil weird to a catfish.

hmmm.... when I use them they sink... must be the hook and size of the bait I'm using....

dbass
08-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Chicken liver, sardines, and anchovies are just too smelly for them to ignore. But for locations like this, especially areas where they might be exposed to more "agriculture/industrial" forms of feed you really can't beat a dip bait. Look 'em up online, they're all pretty good.[/quote]
Or next try some chicken inerds ;)