PDA

View Full Version : Spots for Night Fishing?

Big O Tires Angler
08-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Anybody care to share a couple good spots for night fishing? I'm in Modesto and wouldn't mind a 30-60 minute drive to catch some mean catfish!

General directions help too!

Oh, and in return I'll answer any question about tires/wheels or cars in general!

Thanks guys! and gals!

Big O Tires Angler
08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Well, I'll post a short reply to myself! I've been out to the Stockton Delta off Eight Mile Road a few times, and when I went with my brother he picked up a 12-14" channel catfish, which we threw back of course, off some really bloody frozen anchovies. But that's been it for us and myself...haven't been able to catch one since!

I keep hearing/reading amazing catfish stories from the Delta, but without access to a boat it's pretty difficult to find a spot that I can fish from the bank.

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
BAIT
If you want to catch big cats you gotta use the right bait. I'm not saying that anchovey/sardine won't catch the big ones (trust me they do), but to eliminate more of the small ones I generally use crawdads. However, every spot has it's own particular bait that the bigger ones key on.

SPOTS
I usually fish Sac River anywhere from Rio Vista up to Sacramento Airport. Crawdad seems to keep the majority of the small ones away, although sometimes it really doesn't matter.

The smaller sloughs and canals ditches that are connected to this river are where crawdads really shines for me when it comes to larger cats. The majority (if not all... I don't recall) of the hits will be suicide runs where your rod will just fly into the water (make sure you have it secure).

SPOTS TO TRY
-The slough right under Interstate 80 in Sacramento (coming to/from Davis)

- Numerous locations throughout Sac River (above the Intersate 80 Bridge going towards Reno)

- Woodland/Knights Landing (lots of back road sloughs.. don't really know how to get to the exact locations)

- LOCAL PARK PONDS.... These are often stock during Late Spring through Early Fall... (sometimes with 10+ Lbs. cats) ... anything works here... Check the Fishing in the Fishing programs website....

And I usually find my best success at night.... It's not always the case for everyone though....

Give it a try... Good Luck....

Big O Tires Angler
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey! Thanks a lot for your post! I really appreciate it! Is there a certain way to hook crawdads? Do you rip off the tail or just throw the whole thing in live?

tangofox1
08-14-2008, 01:16 AM
You [i]can[i] use just the tail and this works pretty well however the BEST presentation - IMO - is when it's live. It's the way the fish see it in the water and it looks the most natural to the fish.

Now granted I've been having horrible success lately, haha, but this technique has served me very well in the past. Funny I hadn't thought to going back to trapping crawdads and fishing with 'em - that might break my dry spell, sorry, just talking to myself there.

If you know where you're going to fish, and myself, I enjoy night fishing in Verona, it's got a nice slough by Verona Joe's which is pretty good as well as the main river too, but anyways, wherever you go, buy a crawdad trap or you can even make your own - http://www.wut2c.com/Activities/Survival%20Trips/Food/Collection/Crayfish/crawdad%20trap.htm.

Personally I think it's worth the investment just to go buy once, making 'em is a pain - I tried. Anyways, bait it up the day BEFORE you intend to fish and leave it out for the night. Come back the next day and you have a mess of 'em. I don't really know how the fish can tell or sense it, but if you can find soft-shelled crawdads the fish'll go nuts for 'em.

I find I have better success by hooking them through the tail and then crushing one claw with some pliers. This can spread scent and also makes it look a little more enticing I think to predators. It's odd, but if you remove both claws this seems to make them less interesting to the passing fish.

Anyways, hook 'em through the tail with the hook point coming out the top, kind of like how you'd hook a plastic crawdad or lizard. Don't go past the tail as this could kill the crawdad. Use a fish finder or sliding rig but you have to set a bead too, otherwise I've found the darn arthropod will just scurry off and hide under some large rock and snag the whole rig.

Sit tight, check the bait every 30 minutes or so and if it's dead or not very lively you can chop off the tail and use that for smaller fish. Rebait with a nice lively one again.

I prefer to use about a 3/0 to 5/0 Gamakatsu hook on a 40lb Fluorocarbon leader about 18" long. Set that below a swivel and above that a slider, appropriate weight and a something like a very small bead about 2' above that (this keeps your crawdad from wandering off somewhere and either hiding from fish or snagging you) and you've got yourself a fish catching machine.

tangofox1
08-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Oh. Also, if this whole crawdad trapping situation is just too much trouble, I just use a giant wright wrapped sardine half. You'll get nibbles but your bait should stay pretty intact until a nice one comes along.

Plus, you can't beat the scent dispersion of sardines particularly when you use the wright wrap correctly.

Big O Tires Angler
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I've seen quite a few people use crawdads to pick up some nice fish, but never really took the time to use them. I'll try it out! Thanks for the tip!

ric1ric
08-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey Big O you wouldn't spend your shad season at Verona would you?

Big O Tires Angler
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Can't say that I do, never been out that way before