PDA

View Full Version : Smaller stocked Cats...

addicted2Daiwa
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
My little brother came back from one of those urban ponds where they stocked catfish and wanted to know why they started stocking little ones only weighing 1 pound. I don't fish cats(much...) but I was wondering if there's other urban ponds that are getting a bigger stock of cats ;). I'm dropping him off on Saturday morning so help would be nice. Thanks! :D

BIG_ONE
08-06-2008, 01:52 AM
all the ponds are stocking all the same cats for some reason, bcuz there is only 1 truck that goes around and stock the ponds, william land park is the first pond to get the stock in...well from what i know there is 1 truck only...

fishn4me
08-06-2008, 07:23 AM
I have seen the stock truck unload, they use a big net place the fish into a large trash can then walk them to the water. I saw fish from 2 pounds up to 16 pound range. It could be possible that you caught something that was born in the pond. I know when catfish as small the school a lot. Gibson has some big fish it, so does mather but mather you will need a boat to get past the weeds.

fisherFREAKking
08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
elk grove got some nice fatty up too 8lb you should take him there

mi3npri3de
08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
elk grove got some nice fatty up too 8lb you should take him there

are you talkin about that pond across the street from those 2 story houses?

SetTheHookMinistry
08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I have seen the stock truck unload, they use a big net place the fish into a large trash can then walk them to the water. *I saw fish from 2 pounds up to 16 pound range. It could be possible that you caught something that was born in the pond. *I know when catfish as small the school a lot. * Gibson has some big fish it, so does mather but mather you will need a boat to get past the weeds.
Gibson Ranch has cats?

addicted2Daiwa
08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm dropping him and his buddy off tomorrow before I go trolling for steelhead early morning and so which ponds would be better? William B. Pond, Hagan, Howe Park, or Elk Grove Park? :-/

BIG_ONE
08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
they all have the same fish, since only 1 truck loads em up...seems to me any of em would do just fine.

addicted2Daiwa
08-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I picked up my little brother this evening from the urban pond and was shocked to see how many people fish in these tiny body of water! :o Must've been close to 80 people fishin out there... How the heck do you guys even fish these things? I like my space when I fish but these urban ponds are packed! :o

BIG_ONE
08-09-2008, 02:55 PM
thats how fisherman does it ;D we gather, we share...we keep what we get (well for certain species) ;D
i don't know how many lbs of cat they stocked now a days...back in the days they stock about 2200-2800lbs of cat ea saturday :o 8-)

addicted2Daiwa
08-10-2008, 06:32 AM
These urban ponds have people yapping at each other in foul language, and most of these fishermen look like they have no idea of what they're fishing for. Who the heck brings an ocean rod for catfish or uses 50lbs test for them anyway? :o God they're weird!

BIG_ONE
08-10-2008, 11:00 AM
lol i would bring an ocean rod for catfish and a 50lbs test line no problem... ;)
or maybe thats what they have only ;D

addicted2Daiwa
08-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Many of these guys there are fishing without license and have way too many rods in the water... :( My little brother says that's how people fish "the urban waters" but I say it's chaotic! Thank god I never fished an urban pond beside Mather!

BIG_ONE
08-10-2008, 11:53 PM
well, good luck for them...hopefully they don't get caught
but what can we do, there are no limits for catfish in ponds(which is great, dang i love those fillets ;D)
urban pond is all basically for a take home fish, especially cat season but the rod regulation still applies to it ;)

sacfishinfool
08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Gibson Ranch has cats?
They used to stock Gibson Ranch, so yes there are cats there. Some big ones too, but hard to catch.

fisherFREAKking
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
forget them catfish too many people an when u catch two or three everybody cast to your spot an is like wtf you doing hahah but then i jus sit there an look at them and wait for my rod to bend then set the hook an see them mad ahhaha ;D but then again is annoying :D especially when they ask you what bait you using when they have the same stuff ahhaha

MB_Kevin
08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
forget them catfish too many people an when u catch two or three everybody cast to your spot an is like wtf

I know I hate that to. I like to then move over where they were fishing and pull in a big one ::) Then they really get mad.

fisherFREAKking
08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
it's priceless ::)

BIG_ONE
08-13-2008, 01:00 AM
fishing is much like hunting, be patient and you'll soon be rewarded ;)