PDA

View Full Version : Bunk Board Replacement

Folsomtroller22
08-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Hello fellow catchers:
I'm going to replace my boat trailer bunk boards and would appreciate any input as to the type of lumber I should consider. I believe redwood might work best but can anyone suggest any reason I should not use redwood? Douglas fir? Does it matter since it will be carpeted and may well outlast me anyway in the long run? Thanks.

kodiak
08-16-2017, 12:13 PM
If you use Pressure Treated it will definitely outlast you. That's what I used on my trailer

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Seon
08-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Pressure treated wood is not recommended for bunk boards because of the chemical impregnated in the wood.
Douglas Fir is what should be used.

LineStretcher
08-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Douglas Fir is a good choice but Trex is better and will never need replacement.

redneckpunk
08-16-2017, 03:46 PM
All great suggestions. Going to do mine this fall and will be using pressure treated with glyde slicks rather than carpet.

CDK
08-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Check out West Marine Bough the complete set up I think around $100

AnglingWes
08-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Make sure you recess the hardware adequately and only use stainless fasteners, especially on aluminum boats. Sucks to get holes in the hull from vibrations when towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Waterdog
08-16-2017, 06:23 PM
Do not use pressure treated for any bunks and especially do not use pressure treated if you have an aluminum boat. The chemicals in the wood will react with the aluminum and can cause major problems.

Waterdog
08-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Check this site out https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/product-info/features
These are high density polyethylene bunks that will out last your trailer. I have a Rogue trailer and they are what came on my trailer. You don't need carpeting with these bunks. They are pretty much indestructible. Mine look like new after several years. Not cheap but never worry replacing bunks again.

Folsomtroller22
08-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. Redwood, douglas fir, trex, treated, untreated, special composite. Decision time. Hmmm? Thanks again guys.

ApexPredator
08-16-2017, 07:43 PM
I got polyethylene bunks for my last boat which was a 16' tracker and I really didn't like them. They had a lot of flex and would droop between the bunk supports which looked like it was creating pressure points on the hull as much less of the bunk came in contact with the hull.

Nick Velho
08-16-2017, 08:24 PM
My understanding is pressure treated is Doug Fir that has been treated. Used in retaining wall and such. It's stronger than Trex and Redwood. ApexPedator has it right! Poly sags ! My 2 cents... Use pressure treated and some of these.... forget the carpet.

Sorry i can't insert the photo. I've always had trouble with this photo editor. It sure won't rotate and now it will not let me insert .

Oh I guess a copy and paste worked. Sorry it LARGE!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170817/89c9a6c9e3fb4d3a4165ef39817c732d.jpg[/IM[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170817/6c1e631e6ee0117c344f16ae8dba71c3.jpghttps://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=3dfaf7dcdf&view=fimg&th=15dee5d95f14400b&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=15dee5d2b14d037c98c1&attbid=ANGjdJ8pu-M0UlBAfumDjjzmi-Nqh1nkbnPLXPL4l5WfCWyoYHtnCQh5VOiccalqpl4nsWCzTxIV bsYHPKo1cRLAstcGrgP4L-EfxEISMQLAXfct6HG18qJBqdXwpNw&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1502942883745&rm=15dee5d95f14400b&zw&atsh=1

brokea--boater
08-17-2017, 05:56 AM
PT lumber is bottom of the pack lumber as far as grade and quality, its crap lumber that gets PT. Use Yellow Pine and seal it, will last a long time and not sag,,,gregg

hooks
08-17-2017, 06:18 AM
Check this site out https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/product-info/features
These are high density polyethylene bunks that will out last your trailer. I have a Rogue trailer and they are what came on my trailer. You don't need carpeting with these bunks. They are pretty much indestructible. Mine look like new after several years. Not cheap but never worry replacing bunks again.

I recently replaced the bunks and rusty hardware on my trailer and this is the product I used.

Easy to work with. Happy with them.

From the Ultimate bunkboards web site.....

Are these boards as strong as wood?
Because our boards are made from polyethylene plastic, although strong, they do flex more than wood, if not properly supported. When evaluating if our boards will work on your trailer, measure the distance between the mounting brackets. We recommend a maximum span distance of 48” between mounting points for our 2x4 boards, and a 60” span for our 2x6 boards. If the span on your trailer is greater, then you should consider our New “Ultimate Extreme Bunk Boards”. You can also consider adding additional supports.

Luckily my trailer has two 48", 2 X 4 bunk boards with a 32" span between mounting brackets. No sag yet for me.

pointemdown
08-17-2017, 07:26 AM
Replaced mine about two years ago and used pressure treated. Bought the carpet at Lowe's here in Folsom worked fine. After stapling carpet I evenly spaced stainless wood screws with finishing washers to secure carpet, worked perfectly. I have sold that boat. My new boat has slick pads over carpet, and I would recommend using them as well.

Waterdog
08-17-2017, 08:34 AM
As brokea__boater says pt is low grade lumber. It is good for things where pt is needed but it is crap lumber. Also to repeat you do not want to pt on trailer bunks on aluminum boats. The various chemicals in it especially the copper sulfate will create electrolysis and the aluminum will become pitted and in some cases can cause holes and other damage. Covering pt with carpet will not prevent electrolysis.
The info Hooks provided re polyethylene bunks is spot on. If your trailer is well designed and bunk supports are not too far apart then the polyethylene bunks are I think the best option out there and will last a lifetime.

hooks
08-17-2017, 08:42 AM
As brokea__boater says pt is low grade lumber. It is good for things where pt is needed but it is crap lumber. Also to repeat you do not want to pt on trailer bunks on aluminum boats. The various chemicals in it especially the copper sulfate will create electrolysis and the aluminum will become pitted and in some cases can cause holes and other damage. Covering pt with carpet will not prevent electrolysis.
The info Hooks provided re polyethylene bunks is spot on. If your trailer is well designed and bunk supports are not too far apart then the polyethylene bunks are I think the best option out there and will last a lifetime.

At my age.....pretty much everything I buy comes with a lifetime warranty ....LOL

Nick Velho
08-17-2017, 09:43 AM
Just a snippet from Popular Mechanics:

Pressure-treated wood has been around for nearly 70 years, yet most of us still know very little about this popular outdoor building material. To start, pressure-treated wood is softwood lumber, typically southern yellow pine, that's been chemically treated to resist rot, decay and termites.*

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

garyarl
08-27-2017, 06:00 AM
If you decide to wrap the bunks with carpet, recommend brass or stainless staples, standard plated staples will corrode.

Folsomtroller22
08-27-2017, 11:33 AM
If you decide to wrap the bunks with carpet, recommend brass or stainless staples, standard plated staples will corrode.

Thank you again everyone who responded. The job is completed and I'm satisfied with the results.

burninfuel
08-27-2017, 02:50 PM
3M #77 contact spray can on all my recarpet projects, air dry both side for 5 minutes and make sure you match before making contact, you won't be able to pull it apart. Staples to hold and tuck the edges