PDA

View Full Version : cryptosporidium ( Crypto )

Fishfinder
08-18-2017, 05:56 PM
I read in the Lodi newspaper today about an outbreak of a parasite called cryptosporidium. Being in our water system, also swimming pools ETC. I fish quit a bit in the Delta between Rio Vista and Sacramento, I also fish a lot of the local lakes. My question is are we in any danger of getting sick by eating fish from the Delta and local lakes? The fish I target are Salmon, Kokanee, Trout and Stripers.

Hookum Greg
08-18-2017, 06:40 PM
I worked in the drinking water industry for 30 yrs, filtering and disinfecting in attemp to kill these little guy's off. We were taught that Crytosporidium grow in the digestive system of warm blooded Mammals. They are released to the water ways through fecces ( Cows, Beavers,Deer etc). They are microscopic in the 4 micron size, and can cause savere diarrea if consumed in the drinking water. I have never heard of them growing in cold blooded fish.
Somebody in the local treatment plant blew-it big time allowing these parasites to enter your local distrabution system. Don't drink the water until they clear up the problem. Normal Chorination and filtration should be the fix. Hope this helps, Greg

salmonid
08-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Wow I hadn't heard of this. Is it limited to Lodi?

Fishfinder
08-18-2017, 09:31 PM
San Joaquin County health officials are reporting an increase in the number of reported cases of Cryptosporidiosis, or “Crypto” this summer.
<figure id="attachment_12376" class="wp-caption alignleft" style="margin: 7px 20px 7px 0px; text-align: center; float: left; display: inline; padding: 4px; max-width: 100%; border: 1px solid rgb(238, 238, 238); border-radius: 3px; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248); color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Georgia, &quot;Times New Roman&quot;, serif; font-size: 16px; width: 380px;">http://outbreaknewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/5242_lores.jpg (http://outbreaknewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/5242_lores.jpg)<figcaption class="wp-caption-text" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 12px; font-style: italic; line-height: 1.5; margin: 9px 0px;">Cryptosporidium/CDC</figcaption></figure>“Since early July, we have 17 people confirmed along with an additional 41 symptomatic contacts,” reports Dr. Karen Furst, Assistant Public Health Officer for San Joaquin County. In the past five years, San Joaquin County averaged only 1 case per year.
While most cases reported in San Joaquin County were infected by swallowing contaminated recreational water from different sources (pools, splash pads, lakes and the Delta), some are also becoming sick from exposure to others who are infected or from items that are contaminated from those who are infected. This can happen by changing a diaper or when a person sick with Crypto fails to wash their hands thoroughly after using the restroom then touches an object or prepares food. People can be infectious and continue to spread the parasite even weeks after symptoms have stopped.
Symptoms include watery diarrhea and stomach cramps, which generally begin 2 to 10 days (average 7 days) after becoming infected with the parasite and usually last about 1 to 4 weeks in persons with healthy immune systems. Symptoms can come and go for up to 30 days. People who are in poor health, have a weakened immune system, are pregnant, or a young child are at higher risk for more severe and prolonged illness or dehydration.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports there were twice as many Crypto outbreaks linked to swimming pools and water playgrounds in 2016 as in 2014.

Hookum Greg
08-18-2017, 09:35 PM
In the San Joaquin municapal water system over 60 cases have been reported recently. The public health dept. is saying that it is coming from people swallowing water from Pools, Delta and Pond water. But with this many cases it sounds like the Treatment plant had a filter breakthrough ( maintanance issue ) and not a complete disinfection of the drinking water. Swimming pools are usually filled with drinking water also.
Bad GuGu !!!

ferdz
08-25-2017, 12:08 AM
These little guys sounds scary. Good thing the fishes will never be affected.