PDA

View Full Version : Lower Bear Reservoir Fishing 8/17

HookedForLife
08-18-2017, 11:58 PM
I took a gamble and decided to fish Lower Bear River Reservoir last Thursday, a lake I have never fished before, but have passed by the turn off many times from Highway 88 on my way back from Caples Lake, Red Lake, WF Carson, etc. I heard the campgrounds are nice and the setting is quite beautiful, which turned out to be true. The fishing there I did not know much about.

I left Sacramento about 5:45 AM and arrived there about 7:30 AM. I bought my boat launch permit at the Resort office for only $10, which I considered a bargain. However, the boat ramp was very long and narrow. After launching, I had to drive uphill to the main road to park my van and trailer off to the side. When I came back later to take my boat out, I had to walk back in the heat to retrieve my van and trailer.

We departed about 8 AM and trolled at various depths from 5 to 50 feet with all my favorite trout lures near the dam and later up the lake where water enters from Upper Bear River Reservoir. No luck, and marked very few fish on my fishfinder. So, we pulled the boat out at around 1 PM and had some successful bass fishing at Lake Camanche on the way home.

So, Lower Bear River Reservoir remains a mystery to me, unless someone is willing to clue me in. Thanks in advance for any information which you are willing to provide. I may make a return trip if I know the fishing can be better than I experienced, which was zilch!

CrappieJed
08-19-2017, 05:53 AM
I took a gamble and decided to fish Lower Bear River Reservoir last Thursday, a lake I have never fished before, but have passed by the turn off many times from Highway 88 on my way back from Caples Lake, Red Lake, WF Carson, etc. I heard the campgrounds are nice and the setting is quite beautiful, which turned out to be true. The fishing there I did not know much about.

I left Sacramento about 5:45 AM and arrived there about 7:30 AM. I bought my boat launch permit at the Resort office for only $10, which I considered a bargain. However, the boat ramp was very long and narrow. After launching, I had to drive uphill to the main road to park my van and trailer off to the side. When I came back later to take my boat out, I had to walk back in the heat to retrieve my van and trailer.

We departed about 8 AM and trolled at various depths from 5 to 50 feet with all my favorite trout lures near the dam and later up the lake where water enters from Upper Bear River Reservoir. No luck, and marked very few fish on my fishfinder. So, we pulled the boat out at around 1 PM and had some successful bass fishing at Lake Camanche on the way home.

So, Lower Bear River Reservoir remains a mystery to me, unless someone is willing to clue me in. Thanks in advance for any information which you are willing to provide. I may make a return trip if I know the fishing can be better than I experienced, which was zilch!
hello hooked, next time you plan on going to LB give me pm I can be some help to you I can tell you where you can park much closer to the lake as well
Cj

Owlman2
08-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Don't feel too bad....I've fished LBR twice and skunked both times. Not even a bump....

HookedForLife
08-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Thanks for offer of advice on parking! Also, I feel a little bit better knowing I have company. I will return if I know the fishing will be better, as the surroundings are very scenic! Maybe a good place to camp and hike some of the trails too.

CrappieJed
08-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Guys unfortunately LB is all about mackinaw lake chubs errr lake trout. Bottom bounce night crawlers and dead shad catch all you want eat destroy whatever

fishwrong2
08-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Guys unfortunately LB is all about mackinaw lake chubs errr lake trout. Bottom bounce night crawlers and dead shad catch all you want eat destroy whatever

"...catch all you want eat destroy whatever..."??????

Catch a limit and eat them, release them unharmed, no problem, congrats, you had a good day and that's the goal right? Destroy or "whatever" all you want???? That don't fly... or swim... or "whatever"....

We all wish there were thousands of 20# browns in all our lakes and rivers like the good old days when we had hair on our heads instead of in our ears and "wherevers", but some folks don't distinguish between nostalgia, frustration and suggestion.

Just my opinion... and the law...

whalonem
08-21-2017, 10:50 AM
FW2, just want to agree, simply catching something today is real important especially for the young folks. In addition smoked Macks are just as fine as smoked Kings taken off shore. whalonem

chubbswheeler
08-21-2017, 11:34 AM
FW2, just want to agree, simply catching something today is real important especially for the young folks. In addition smoked Macks are just as fine as smoked Kings taken off shore. whalonem

Very true, @ 32 I might be one of those "Young folks" you speak of and would have to agree completely. In fact, I'm going to fallen leaf in the canoe to jig up some high Sierra "rat" Mack's and eat those delicious puppies for dinner! Ha......Watch me get skunked!!!!!

CrappieJed
08-21-2017, 12:33 PM
You guys can love those slime rockets I don't have to so choke them on down...lol

fishwrong2
08-21-2017, 02:18 PM
You guys can love those slime rockets I don't have to so choke them on down...lol

Now, now, slime rockets need love too. I think I heard that in a bar once, but that's another story.

Sorry for the grumpy reply. Enjoy your posts, and experience in areas we both frequent. I guess if we thought exactly the same way, we'd all be married to the same gal, fishing in the same spots. Wait, that's another bar story. Better stop before it gets out of hand.

Have a good one.

CrappieJed
08-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Now, now, slime rockets need love too. I think I heard that in a bar once, but that's another story.

Sorry for the grumpy reply. Enjoy your posts, and experience in areas we both frequent. I guess if we thought exactly the same way, we'd all be married to the same gal, fishing in the same spots. Wait, that's another bar story. Better stop before it gets out of hand.

Have a good one.
Lol ok I know that too lol eeerie

HookedForLife
08-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Very true, @ 32 I might be one of those "Young folks" you speak of and would have to agree completely. In fact, I'm going to fallen leaf in the canoe to jig up some high Sierra "rat" Mack's and eat those delicious puppies for dinner! Ha......Watch me get skunked!!!!!

It's very helpful to know that the fish to target in Lower Bear are macks! I thought there would be some rainbows and browns to catch too, but it didn't happen for me. I also have caught macks in Lake Tahoe and Fallen Leaf Lake and can vouch for them being very tasty! If I go back to Lower Bear, I will try mainly for macks, too, perhaps with nightcrawlers! Thanks for the input, guys!

Owlman2
08-23-2017, 04:52 PM
It's kind of funny, but I must admit I have always thought of Macks as a "lesser fish" than other trout. Like when I hook one, I am always vaguely disappointed to see its not a brown or a rainbow or whatever. I don't know why that is. Macks don't fight like rainbows, but I would say they fight about the same as a brown of the same size.

I have never targeted Macks....just catch them while fishing for other species.

But I admit....it is not really logical.

CrappieJed
08-23-2017, 09:08 PM
It's kind of funny, but I must admit I have always thought of Macks as a "lesser fish" than other trout. Like when I hook one, I am always vaguely disappointed to see its not a brown or a rainbow or whatever. I don't know why that is. Macks don't fight like rainbows, but I would say they fight about the same as a brown of the same size.

I have never targeted Macks....just catch them while fishing for other species.

But I admit....it is not really logical.
of course you all know by now macks are not trout they are char. That being said if your going to eat them remove their skin it is tremendously fishy Taste like cod liver pills very slimmy maybe slimy'er then catfish and you don't eat their skin right...you should soak the meat in butter milk or whole milk like you would a rancid deer steak. Let sit over night in fridge and you will see the yuk float to the top. Rinse off the milk and season cook away. It should be tolerable enough to eat.

Renron
08-24-2017, 08:30 AM
After living at Lake Tahoe for 20 years I will disagree with CJ's description of "Lake trout". Which indeed is a Char, not a trout. Without exaggeration I've caught several hundred over the years and BBQ for my family on a regular basis.
Here's the tip for Great eating mackinaw, actually two tips.
One (and these are in order), when you catch your Mac look at the Pectoral fins, if there is any orange or pink hue to them the meat will also be that color, which is good eating. If they are white, release the fish to grow up and so it can learn to eat the proper foods.
Two, when you cook you pink finned Mac, bbq him / her with the skin on! Skin will help keep those tasty Omega 3 fatty oils in the meat and keep it moist. Use apple slices inside for a sweeter taste. No foil, right on the grill.
If the Mac is under 3 lbs it won't be good eating, they haven't changed their diet preferences yet, put it back.
Perhaps that's why CJ hasn't met a Mac he likes. A good one tastes very similar to king salmon. Which is also oily.

Capt'n Ron

CrappieJed
08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
After living at Lake Tahoe for 20 years I will disagree with CJ's description of "Lake trout". Which indeed is a Char, not a trout. Without exaggeration I've caught several hundred over the years and BBQ for my family on a regular basis.
Here's the tip for Great eating mackinaw, actually two tips.
One (and these are in order), when you catch your Mac look at the Pectoral fins, if there is any orange or pink hue to them the meat will also be that color, which is good eating. If they are white, release the fish to grow up and so it can learn to eat the proper foods.
Two, when you cook you pink finned Mac, bbq him / her with the skin on! Skin will help keep those tasty Omega 3 fatty oils in the meat and keep it moist. Use apple slices inside for a sweeter taste. No foil, right on the grill.
If the Mac is under 3 lbs it won't be good eating, they haven't changed their diet preferences yet, put it back.
Perhaps that's why CJ hasn't met a Mac he likes. A good one tastes very similar to king salmon. Which is also oily.

Capt'n Ron
i ate Tahoe Macs yuk! Orange/white didn't mater over grown shinner

similar to king salman...your full of prunes!

fishwrong2
08-24-2017, 12:10 PM
i ate Tahoe Macs yuk! Orange/white didn't mater over grown shinner

similar to king salman...your full of prunes!

Ah, now we know. Secret to happiness is more prunes. Hope it all works out in the end buddy....

CrappieJed
08-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Ah, now we know. Secret to happiness is more prunes. Hope it all works out in the end buddy....
lol oh it does, if the Macs don't make ya yak...the Prunes will

Renron
08-25-2017, 05:33 AM
My post was not intending to change CJ's mind. We all have our preferences.
My post was to help educated those of us who enjoy eating Macs.
Ron

Monkeybear10plus
09-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Run blue Rapalas! Last year on a full moon late August I pulled in a brown over 10 pounds also got a bunch from 2 to 4 pounds. Didn't catch one lake carp Mack. Some guys fish there a lot and don't catch much. Orange rapala works too. Good luck!