PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

copilot
07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
New to the forums and cant catch any cats, or for that matter any fish worth talking about. Mainly fish in the river here in sacramento. Fish off of sacramento ave off 99, the deep water channel in the port lisbon slough pretty much anywhere thats somewhat close to sac. We use dines choves clam even tryed chicken liver. Cant seem to catch anything over 1-2lbs, and most that we do catch are barely bigger than the bait. Any kind of info on were what time what to use would be great. Thanks in advance.

gearbox
07-28-2008, 11:39 PM
It's supposed to be a tough bite in that area this year. You'll need to try someplace else. Folsom Lake, Collins, further south in the river, Delta maybe.

striperkid
07-29-2008, 01:08 AM
you seem to be doing everything right...fishing the dwc and any surrounding sloughs will bring you fish just make sure to stay patient and be aware of your rod dont miss any strikes..

if you feel like you not finding the fish try different methods different leaders different hooks...when fishing with cut baitfish your gonna attract alot of smaller fish and even though you may occasionaly get a good 2 or 3 pound cat your gonna get alot of dinks...

if your looking for the big one switch to live bait try medium to large minnows keep fishing with the stinky and fishy and bloody bait and then switch to live baits or a craw dad tails....the lil ones will stay away and the bigger cats will have time to attack it...

and be patient good luck!

fishn4me
07-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Big fish in that area are far and few between. I agree I would move to a different area. There are big fish to be had they just tend to be a little picky compared to the dinks. Try verona, Clarksburg, twin cities.

BIG_ONE
07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
that place would do just fine, but just pop up there early in the morning, thats when the big guys are feeding on an area where there's a lot of dinks, just get there early morning first light hit the sky, and use wax worms. Others can be use but can't compete against wax worms during morning.
Or you can head to knights landing, good size cats holds over there all day long, every bait works well at knights landing ;)

copilot
07-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone. Definetly gonna try all those tactics!! Hopefully Ill be able to post some pics up soon.

MB_Kevin
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
that place would do just fine, but just pop up there early in the morning, thats when the big guys are feeding on an area where there's a lot of dinks, just get there early morning first light hit the sky, and use wax worms. Others can be use but can't compete against wax worms during morning.
Or you can head to knights landing, good size cats holds over there all day long, every bait works well at knights landing *;)

Wax worms for catfish? I would have never tried that. Do you put on a bunch of them?

Fishordie
07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Copilot, I fish some of the same spots as you and have been gettin quality fish every time.Every single fish over 3lbs has been on large lively bait, small hook, light weight. I generally fish one rod live and one chovie or dine(produced well last year for me). I haven't caught anything over 1lb on the cut bait this year. Now as soon as the last live bat is gone I leave. I usually go @ night. My one day trip all but two baits died before I even got there and I got a cat on each one. Maybe i'm just on a lucky streak.

Fishordie
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Copilot, About the port: I'v caught some nice stripers in there but I've also spent more unproductive hours there then all my other spots combined. In my opinion the port is/was more of a place to drink beer then catch fish. I only go there for convenience. Nice fish are a bonus.

BIG_ONE
07-31-2008, 02:19 AM
Or you can head to knights landing, good size cats holds over there all day long, every bait works well at knights landing ;)

Wax worms for catfish? I would have never tried that. Do you put on a bunch of them?

OH YEAH MB! WAX WORMS ARE SUPERB!
They hit it really well during morning when you use wax worms for cats, they can't resist it i guaranteed ya. But during evening, you'll get the big boys here to there with wax worms, but prepare for the dinks. morning with wax worms is just absolutely superb for cat, try it out. bet you'll like it.
Well you can put a lot on the hook if you want, it does produce a harder bite which creates a good chance of hooking that cat. But you can put it on the hook like a worm following through the body of the wax. it saves more bait for you to use, but what does it matter, a box have tons and tons, can't even finish for 1 day, well maybe you can depends on the action ;D

But try it out! good luck! ;)

Phinger28
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
are wax worms the same as mealworms?

bigeasy8240
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM

I think they are! Stick with nightcrawlers and put them in concentrated "Cool-Aid" and then fish with them! Try different flavors. 8-)

MB_Kevin
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
No there a little different. The wax worms have a softer exoskeleton then the crunchy meal worms. I like to smash the wax worms just on the sharp tip of a hook to get the blue gills when having trouble hooking them.