PDA

View Full Version : Grass Carp?

surge
07-19-2008, 07:41 AM
I was woundering if their are any grass carp in sacramento river or lakes?

http://www.farnhamanglingsociety.com/ourwaters/galleries/BLBP/BadshotLeaBigPondMembersCa/images/Steve_Winslade_Grass_Carp2.jpg

BIG_ONE
07-19-2008, 09:40 AM
possible, there's mirror carp in sac river though, its pretty hard to catch them, but if your really lucky you'll get a mirror, and to let you know, by law and regulation, its illegal to keep a grass carp anywhere in california.

addicted2Daiwa
07-19-2008, 04:45 PM
It's not possible to catch grass carp in California because it's illegal but they can be purchased in asian market as a food fish. :o It's meat is equivalent in asia to channel catfish although I've never tried...

shadbuster
07-20-2008, 09:21 AM
It's Illegal to catch grass carp here in California since the ones here are triploid fish purchased with a permit from the DFG who cannot breed and are very expensive.

sacfishinfool
07-20-2008, 09:25 AM
It's Illegal to catch grass carp here in California since the ones here are triploid fish .
What does this mean? "Triploid"

shadbuster
07-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Triploid fish have a extra sex chromosome, normal fish have two sex chromosome the X and Y (some have Z and W but I will leave that out) which determines if you are a male or female, if you get XX you are female and XY if you are male, but in triploid fish there is either a extra X or Y. This extra chromosome causes a deformity in the reproductive organs since the extra genetic material doesn't allow the reproductive organs to form properly. Although triploid animals do happen in nature, most triploid fish are made by either heat or pressure shocking the eggs.

sacfishinfool
07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
[smiley=yikes.gif] You know your stuff, Shadbuster! Thank you for the info. I have known that grass carp is a protected species all over the place, but was never sure why. That is very intersting.

keith_thompson
07-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Actually it is not illegal to catch them, however they must be immediately returned to the water.

Florin
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
You will find them in smoll private ponds and are used to control vegetation. They are just like machines eating grass and are fun to see in action. :)

catfish08
07-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I'm new here.

I just wonder if someone can tell the differences between grass carp from regular carp?
Do they have different colors, shades, weight, etc?

thx

BIG_ONE
07-22-2008, 09:34 PM
grass carp is what shown above, and common carp which is bronze, gold, yellow, and kinda orange color, and the scales are a little bit bigger, and they have a sucker like mouth with barbels like koi. And common carp are a lot heavier than grass carp. And another carp is the mirror, the head may be the same as the common, and sometimes it has a large hump with a tiny head but this fish have 3 rows of scales, the scales are fairly large, and between those 3 rows of scales, its basically skin, like the cat... ;)

Ugbomb
07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Arent they the ones who fly out of the water when they get spooked and end up breaking peoples noses. And also if they were released illegaly couldnt they destroy an whole ecosystem?

BIG_ONE
07-22-2008, 11:11 PM
the ones that travels in schools and when they get spooked, they jump out of the water and use their tails and slap people in the face, some reports of people being killed from those powerful tail slap across their face causing their neck to break, and no the one that does these kind of stuff are big head carp and silver carp, mainly big head, i'll love to catch them and see what kind of power they have, just hope they don't get into our system ;D

shadbuster
07-23-2008, 08:50 AM
The fish who fly out of the water are called silver carp they are difficult to catch on hook and line because they are filter feeders, and they would be very damaging to the California ecosystem because they would compete directly with the fry of all species for food, fortunately they are a banned species and are difficult to transport alive because of their tendency to jump when spooked.

surge
07-24-2008, 08:40 AM
The fish who fly out of the water are called silver carp they are difficult to catch on hook and line because they are filter feeders, and they would be very damaging to the California ecosystem because they would compete directly with the fry of all species for food, fortunately they are a banned species and are difficult to transport alive because of their tendency to jump when spooked.
Here is a picture of the silver carp. I seen many shows they made using bow to fish for this fish. *It looks fun, but seen to many people get smacked by this fish.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060920/060920_carpleap_vmed_10a.widec.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/10/07/sports/07outdoors.1.600.jpg

sacfishinfool
07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
I got curious about the silver carp and did a search. I found this video clip on youtube that is insane! Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI

BIG_ONE
07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I got curious about the silver carp and did a search. I found this video clip on youtube that is insane! Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI

yep, thats it, good way to fish without soaking a line ;D

surge
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
You better buy boat insurance before you go fishing for silver carp. ;D Nice clip. Thanks

MB_Kevin
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
This is the first video of this I seen and I still like it. Especially near the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWAS3d3RbSg&feature=related

sacfishinfool
07-24-2008, 09:23 PM
This is the first video of this I seen and I still like it. *Especially near the end...

WOW!! [smiley=seestars.gif]

surge
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I think that would be cool if we had that many fish like salmon or stripers in are rivers, that would be lots of action all day long. I am sure it was like this when the early settlers came to california. :)

Florin
07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
silver carp do not bite hooks
grass carp use smoll tomatoes or the like