PDA

View Full Version : Weber Reservoir

homer
07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I was going to fish Lahontan Sunday morning with my grandson, but things changed as we had breakfast. I picked up Bubba at 6:00 Sunday morning and he asked if we could stop for breakfast. As we were eating he asked if we could go to Weber and try for catfish. So we changed our plans. We launched the boat by the D@M and tried our have at crappie in the rocks and brush around it. I spent more time getting his lures out of the brush than we did fish, so we headed to the back where the river runs in. We trolled and bobber fished with worms and anchovies. We caught about 30 fish in 4 hours and came home with 16 from 12 to 20 inches. Bubba caught his biggest fish to date. A 7 pound Channel Cat. As I took it out of the net he said" We're putting this one back so it can make more just like him". If you don't think this grandpa was a little proud then, then the sun isn't going to come up in the morning. On the way home Bubba said "I could take him with me anytime I wanted too". I told him he would have a spot in my truck anytime he wanted it.

homer

Budtall
07-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey Homer Great Post! Tight Lines ;)

mrsockeye
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I've been awaiting the post on this Reservior. What color is the water, is it chalky like the rest of Nevada's lowland lakes? Where do you get your tribal permit? How far is it from Schurz? What does the permit cost? When you say trolling, I take it you were after trout? What is the water level like? Any trees around there? Camping? Tons of outrageous rules? Thanks for posting, Mr. Ed's ears are probably burning too. Any info is appreciated, it's been on my radar now for a while.

Majakat
07-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Great report! No I need to figure out where Weber is, lol -

SuperDave
07-22-2008, 07:16 AM
I thought Weber was a private membership lake? Or am I thinking of the wrong lake?

mrsockeye
07-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Weber Lake is in Western Nevada near the town of Schurz and Highway 95, it is a private lake, it belongs to the Walker River Indians. It is well known for big catfish in our little area, and it held, the state record for either black or white crappie, I'm not sure which. I'm hoping Homer will post a little more info on it.

homer
07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
OK here we go on all the questions. Weber is on the Walker River Paiute Indian Reservation about 30 miles east of Fallon Nevada. 1) Water color - it depends on where you are on the lake. The back end is a little dirty where the river runs in. It clears a little in the main body. 2) Permit - cost : $5 a day, $10 6 months, $20 year. 3) Where to get permit - at the gas station on the south side of Schurz. 4) How far from Schurz - about 4 or 5 miles west. 5) Trolling - no we were not fish for trout. I've found the Channel and White catfish will hit cut anchovies and worms if trolled real slow. 6) Camping - $8 per night. Not a lot of rules other than NO GUNS. There are a lot of large Cottonwood trees around the lake and good beaches for camping. 7) Launching - there isn't a regular type boat launch. On the south east side of the D@m there is a gravel drive going into the water and you can launch from most beach's if you have 4 wheel drive. Fish - There are 3 types of catfish ( channel, white and bullhead), crappie (white and black), bluegills, black bass, trout and carp. Don't know what else I can tell you about it, other than where my honey holes are and that's not going to happen. Good luck and if you are thinking of heading this way PM me and maybe we can meet up.

homer

FishinRaiders
07-23-2008, 03:25 PM
There is also a private Weber Lake up by Truckee about 15-20 miles North on 89