PDA

View Full Version : Trout Plants Down 39% in 5 Years.

Captain Compassion
09-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Trout Plants Down 39% in 5 Years.

https://www.wonews.com/t-Editorial_FewTroutPlants_091917.aspx

CC

TexWalker
09-21-2017, 07:05 AM
50% by weight. Thats insane.

Now, I do know that the drought played a roll in some of the hatcheries not producing well. I wonder how this will change in the next few years now that we have a little water.

Troutbead
09-22-2017, 07:30 AM
It is all going according to the plan.

Captain Compassion
09-22-2017, 12:48 PM
It is all going according to the plan.

Exactly.

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/moonbeam.jpg

CC

Luvs2Fish
09-22-2017, 07:00 PM
Mono County seems to be able to plant almost every place every week through out the season. And the fish are larger than the mini-trout planted in Alpine, Amador, and Douglas County. Disheartening.

tomaniacal
09-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Sad, frustrating and annoying. I bought my lifetime license many years ago so the price increases don't affect me but the mismanagement of our money by the state affects us all. The leftist attitude towards sports fisherman in this state is just nuts:smiley_crazy:. We all need to have our voices heard and tell our politicians that not everyone in California has that attitude.

panther
09-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Yes...the planting situation is really bad. And the near complete reliance on triploids has really hurt us. If the state ever decides to stop "trucking fish", most roadside lakes will become sterile in a few years. Just awful.

Captain Compassion
09-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Mono County seems to be able to plant almost every place every week through out the season. And the fish are larger than the mini-trout planted in Alpine, Amador, and Douglas County. Disheartening.

The hatcheries that provide fish in Inyo and Mono Counties, Hot Creek and Fish Springs are class operations. Things are going to change. It seems that the CDFW is going to allow the stocking of Diploid trout again in the Mono and Owens River basins.

http://www.sierrawave.net/diploids-back-area-fisheries-next-year/

Those waters in the Walker River Basin, Walker, Little Walker, Bridgeport Res, Twin Lakes and Virginia will keep getting Triploids.

CC

Jfitalia
09-24-2017, 12:05 AM
It doesn't help that the drought put several hatcheries out of business either.

panther
09-24-2017, 03:47 PM
The hatcheries that provide fish in Inyo and Mono Counties, Hot Creek and Fish Springs are class operations. Things are going to change. It seems that the CDFW is going to allow the stocking of Diploid trout again in the Mono and Owens River basins.

http://www.sierrawave.net/diploids-back-area-fisheries-next-year/

Those waters in the Walker River Basin, Walker, Little Walker, Bridgeport Res, Twin Lakes and Virginia will keep getting Triploids.

CC
CC...Help me out a little. The Mono River Basin...What bodies of water are these? Are they the lakes and streams that flow into Mono Lake (the lakes of the June Lakes Loop and its streams)? Any other waters that I am not thinking of? This could be great, great news for Grant, Silver, Gull and June Lake...as well as for Rush Creek.

The Owens River basin...Does that include the lakes above Mammoth Lakes and Convict Lake?

Really looking forward to your reply. Could be the best fishing news I've heard in a long, long time. Thanks.

Jetspray
09-24-2017, 04:15 PM
CC...Help me out a little. The Mono River Basin...What bodies of water are these? Are they the lakes and streams that flow into Mono Lake (the lakes of the June Lakes Loop and its streams)? Any other waters that I am not thinking of? This could be great, great news for Grant, Silver, Gull and June Lake...as well as for Rush Creek.

The Owens River basin...Does that include the lakes above Mammoth Lakes and Convict Lake?

Really looking forward to your reply. Could be the best fishing news I've heard in a long, long time. Thanks.In my book CC is the planting king, I think he knows the drivers by name and what type of coffee they drink at what time. As far as where, it is always a toss up on where they plant when the waters are not cooperating or the weather sucks. However both of us saw a plant of brookies at ICR and all of them died because of the water temps........Jetspray

Captain Compassion
09-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Really looking forward to your reply. Could be the best fishing news I've heard in a long, long time. Thanks.

The mono Basin would include Lundy Lake and Mill Creek in the North. Lee Vining Creek, Rush Creek and the June Lake loop. All these flow into Mono Lake. The Owens River Basin is basically south of the Mono Basin and east of the Sierra Divide all the way down to Owens Lake. All lakes and creeks. Mammoth Lakes, Convict, Crowley et al.

CC

panther
09-26-2017, 04:15 PM
CC...Many thanks. To me the diploid vs. triploid issue is a huge one, so planting diploids in these waters (the way things used to be) is a major plus. I know these waters are heavily fished, but if fish can reproduce...there is at least a decent chance that the fish populations in these bodies of water can stabilize, and we will have healthier fisheries.

Captain Compassion
09-26-2017, 07:17 PM
CC...Many thanks. To me the diploid vs. triploid issue is a huge one, so planting diploids in these waters (the way things used to be) is a major plus. I know these waters are heavily fished, but if fish can reproduce...there is at least a decent chance that the fish populations in these bodies of water can stabilize, and we will have healthier fisheries.

The best way to get increased trout populations in the Owens basin is to blow US 395 south of Little Lake. I'm just sayin'.

CC

hemicuda
09-29-2017, 01:01 PM
The best way to get increased trout populations in the Owens basin is to blow US 395 south of Little Lake. I'm just sayin'.

CC

What exactly are you "just sayin"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Compassion
09-29-2017, 08:02 PM
What exactly are you "just sayin"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as there are 15 million people in the LA area there will be little fish hold over. It's better than it was because there are less fishermen in California than 30 years ago but there are more tourists.

CC

MKE
09-30-2017, 06:59 AM
As long as there are 15 million people in the LA area there will be little fish hold over. It's better than it was because there are less fishermen in California than 30 years ago but there are more tourists.

CCSo.Cal. needs to be its own state. Let them deal with there problems. We don't need them to tell us how to live and take all the natural resources from Nor. Cal. We need them more then them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

timmyt
10-02-2017, 06:51 AM
Article from Sac Bee a few years back about the drought and disease

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article24825115.html

whalonem
10-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Think about this for awhile, DFW can find or produce Triploid's but they have difficulties producing normal trout. Got to think sometimes behind this don't ya.?????????? Whalonem