PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning vs. Evening

addicted2Daiwa
07-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Alright guys, i'm gonna give catfish another go at it(been 3years since my last Catfish...) so I want to know what's better, early morning or evening when the sun's bout to go down? Basically my questions is, which one produces more bites? Oh! and for the rod action, what's better, light action or medium action? Haven't given effort for catfishing since the middle school days... :-? [smiley=broomstick.gif]

BIG_ONE
07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
catfish, seems to me the same at morning and evening, just so much action at both times i don't pay attention to how much does it bite ;D but i know one thing, when comes to cat, medium - heavy action is recommended. ;)

Bigg A
07-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Early morning is alright but remember, when the evening comes you can fish way more hours in the darkness of night than in the morning especially when your facing 100 degree temperatures. One of the sloughs I fish, they bite all day long if you can deal with the heat!!!! :)

MB_Kevin
07-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Im more of a night person so my vote would be to fish it in the evening. Like said here you can fish longer into the night that way. If I was to get up early in the morning my target would probably be bass or some fish other then catfish. But when I fresh water fish I almost always have out a second rod for cats.

jtk25
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I think fishing for cats is good anytime in the summer months. It has more to due with the water conditions than time of day. Structure, floating debris, muddy water are all good areas to target in lakes. Wing dams, sloughs, water inlets, and areas where the current is slacked are good in rivers.

As far as the rod medium at the least. When going with heavier rods use a reel with a free spool or clicker option so line will go out when they bite because the pole won't give as much.

Phinger28
07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I personally think night-time is better. My theory behind this is that when you fish the morning hours, the fishing is best when you arrive and tapers off as the sun rises, but when the sun sets the fishing only gets better as it gets later, therefor you are fishing into prime time instead of away from prime time; if that makes any sense.

addicted2Daiwa
07-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Alright, i normally fish a lot during the evenings when I get off work but a lot of people tell me early morning is the best time for the "quantity" bite. Is this true for catfish? :-?

BIG_ONE
07-18-2008, 08:55 AM
it all depends where you fish, but i catch bigger size cat during morning tho, i can tell you that.

MB_Kevin
07-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I have gotten into some great cats in the middle of the afternoon to. *One day we kept getting double hookups. *I just matters on the day and place. *It is possible to have some great catfishing anytime of the day. *;)

knotgillty
07-19-2008, 07:44 AM
I want to know what's better, early morning or evening when the sun's bout to go down? Basically my questions is, which one produces more bites?
I like both and have gotten lots of fish over the years at both times. A lot of other factors play into the equation such as weather, moon phase, water conditions, noise, and other factors.

It's not uncommon to see increased fish activity around both dusk and dawn. Both are good times to fish for a variety of species. If you only fished the hour before and after sunrise/sunset each day, you would likely be more successful than most.

One of my favorite periods for catfish is the 3am-6am window. I've had enough trips over the last 20 years with unbelievable action from 3am - 6am. I'm convinced it's not just coincidence. There have been studies done on this time period for catfish but I won't ramble on.

Best of luck and tight lines.

addicted2Daiwa
07-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Okay, I tried evening yesterday for catfish till nightfall and my baits were constantly attacked by little catfishes!!! Caught 2 good size but lost way more bait to the little ones, 2 box of nightcrawlers, 1 box of chicken livers, and an entire can of sardines. Hooked nearly 35 catfishes all below 10 inches and only two good sizes. How can I avoid this problem during evening? :-?

Bigg A
07-19-2008, 05:53 PM
BLUEGILLS AND CRAWDADS!!!!!!! *Make sure its legal to use bluegills where your fishing at!!! ;D The bites may be a little slower from the normal bait you use, but it usually always catches bigger cats with the occasional bait stealer!

addicted2Daiwa
07-20-2008, 10:26 AM
The cut bluegills still gets mangled by the little catfishes and how exactly would you use a crawdad? Just the tail or the whole thing?

BIG_ONE
07-20-2008, 06:40 PM
the whole thing, just hook it by the end of the tail and cast it out, try to avoid the center of the tail, so it keep the craw alive longer, and make sure there's no structure ;D
Or if you can get the soft shell craw...take off the claw(both of them), seperate the head from the tail, and use piece by piece, so basically 1 soft shell craw = 4 cat ;)
Don't really need to hide that hook, when it comes to craw, they'll swallow that hook along with it ;D

steveo79
07-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Use a rubberband to attach the hook to the back of the craw, just behind the claws.