PDA

View Full Version : DFG RESPONSE TO CATFISH IN THE BAY AREA

tejedarichard
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I wrote: HI I LIVE IN SANTA CLARA CO. IS THERE REALLY NO STOCKINGS? ALSO WHY DON'T YOU GUYS EVER PUT WHEN WE GET CATFISH PLANTS YOU GUYS JUST PUT TROUT PLANTS.I KNOW HELLYER PARK GETS STOCKED WITH CATFISH. I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY 2 SONS TO CATCH A CATFISH THIS SUMMER . CAN YOU PLEASE LOOK INTO THE STOCKINGS IN OUR AREA. WE PAID FOR OUR FISHING LICENCE TO HELP PAY FOR THE STOCKINGS

Their reply: Thank you for your note Richard.

Are you by chance related to Jennifer Tejada, the police officer in the north bay? *

As catfish are a warmwater fish - there should be ample supplies in many of the lakes in your area. They will hold over the summer and bite with the proper bait.

The catfish planted in Hellyer Park are not paid for through your licence fees. They are covered through a special program that allows DFG to plant supplemental fish in select urban waters. I am glad you enjoy catching the fish.

There really will be no additional catfish plants anywhere in the Bay Area this summer. We plan to resume plants on a limited basis in September.

The price of catfish as tripled in recent years making it difficult to stock them.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Turning off your capslock key will make your notes easier for us to read.

Thank you.

My reply: Thank you for the prompt reply and for explaining the situation in our area. I didn't mean to seem demanding or disrespectful but these days our area is becoming less and less fishable to an extent. I travel all over California fishing and have saw the great programs put together by the DFG and appreciate them. I hope for a good future for my two sons who love fishing. I'll be sure to post this on the Fishsniffer in our area so that people are aware. No I'm not related to Jeniffer mine is Tejeda which originates from Spain thanks for asking though. Once again I really appreciate the response and hope you have a great day Ethan.

* * Just a concerned fisherman,
* *Richard D. Tejeda