PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake

garrett_s
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
i will be going there wednesday and want to know some good baits to use for the cats and carp. i will be on the bank and we will be there in the evening :)
thanks

BIG_ONE
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
cats...chicken, pork, and beef livers, crawdad (soft stage preferred), cheese, stinkbait works but they prefer fresh, threadfin shad, and bluegills( if its legal in folsom, i got no idea so don't risk it unless you know it ) crawlers works, but i don't think they are much a crawler type when comes to predator fish. Oh yeah and live jumbo minnows works great, or if you can find them, get the super jumbo minnow ;D

carp...corn meal corn meal corn meal... ;D

garrett_s
07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
cats...chicken, pork, and beef livers, crawdad (soft stage preferred), cheese, stinkbait works but they prefer fresh, threadfin shad, and bluegills( if its legal in folsom, i got no idea so don't risk it unless you know it ) crawlers works, but i don't think they are much a crawler type when comes to predator fish. Oh yeah and live jumbo minnows works great, or if you can find them, get the super jumbo minnow *;D

carp...corn meal corn meal corn meal... ;D
would live or dead pike minnow work and can i buy cornmeal.
and if i cant buy it how do i make it :)

gearbox
07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
can i buy cornmeal.
and if i cant buy it how do i make it :)
Look next to the yeast, sugar and flour in the grocery store. It's kind of powdery and hard to get on the hook :P ...so google a "cornmeal doughbait recipe" or a combo of the words :)

BIG_ONE
07-15-2008, 04:19 AM
pike minnow to folsom? you sure its legal? because im not even sure with that, or are there pike minnow in folsom too? ;D well it might work, not too sure about it, probably going to land more bass than cats though, but just maybe...

talk about cornmeal dough, well, get a pot on the stove on low heat, pour about 1/4 or 1/2 out of the cornmeal box, and about a cup of water, stir until it has moisture and then add LOTS of sugar into it, i mean LOTS, like make that thing shine! ;D and then stir for a bit and it may turn into liquid this time but just keep stirring and let the heat do the job, once it started to slowly form back into dough, you can start adding stuff such as banana, honey (LOTS, or wait till later), bread ect...and when your arm gets tired of stirring and its starting to gets harder to stir, it'll turn out to be like bread dough or something like that, put it in a ziplock bag and add a handful of flour, or corn starch, i prefer rice flour from the asian market since it got the rice taste which carp also loves, do that and then just hand mix it, don't touch it, it gets messy, just zip the bag and mix it, just don't put too much, as it may turned white and its ruined ;D its real strong type of dough the way how i do it ( not trying to brag but its true ;D ) if i can use these in rivers with currents such as the sac river, then you can use it in folsom piece of cake, if you haven't mix the honey in it yet, bring a bottle of honey with you out there, and each bait your going to put on the hook, put some honey on the bait your going to use and mix you go, going to be sticky but sure looks good, but its your choice to bring the honey, don't really need to, by the way, if you don't have sugar, you can use salt also, works great, salty corn meal, sounds hilarious but it works ;D also you can add peanut butter, and if you want, a little of olive oil when your making it, but if your going to use oil, make sure your using lots of sugar or salt, carp loves oily and fatty stuff, and cast you go, make sure don't set the hook yet when your rod is tapping like a bluegill, but be ready, your rod is about to take a peek into carp heaven ;D FISH ON! ;D

Sorry if the info is too long, just wanted to make sure you have a good time out there catching em ;)

BIG_ONE
07-15-2008, 04:23 AM
one thing, don't put cheese into it, if you do, its going to be an all cat action, no carp, although carp likes oily and fatty stuff, they don't like cheese at all ;)

MB_Kevin
07-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry if the info is too long, just wanted to make sure you have a good time out there catching em *;)

I don't think so. Im going to add it to the helpful post, stickied on top. It seems to be a common question on here. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

garrett_s
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
i am heading out the door to folsom lake. i will report when i get back :)

sacfishinfool
07-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Good Luck!

garrett_s
07-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Skunk :'(
not even one bite

sacfishinfool
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
That sucks! That happens to me out there too, but every once in a while I do OK. Folsom is a big lake so you have to move around until you find them.