PDA

View Full Version : Went Pheasant Hunting Today

Waterdog
10-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Went out to my pheasant club(Hastings Island) today for my first hunt of the year. Starting early to get the dog geared up for wild pheasant season. It always amazes me that after 6 to 8 months of no hunting the dog remembers everything as if his last hunt was yesterday. I put him through training drills through out the year but those arenít hunting. As soon as I let him out of the truck he hit the ground running looking for pheasant scent. Still handles well to hand and whistle signals.
Great day afield today. Cool morning temperatures and few other hunters out. Sprig my magic lab flushed 4 roosters today. One I wasnít prepared when he flushed, the second I flat out missed. The third and forth I shot. Sprig made excellent retrieves. We only hunted an hour and a half, Iím out of shape and my feet hurt so we headed back to the truck. Sprig for a dog biscuit and me for some ice cold water.
One of my favorite things in life is bird hunting over good dogs and Iím fortunate to have a great dog.
im currently kicking back in my recliner with a small glass of my favorite adult beverage and Sprig is asleep on his bed next to me. It was a fabulous day to be hunting with my buddy. Just thought Iíd share. Oh and yes the pheasants are brining, will go into the smoker later.
Happy hunting.

Kimochou
10-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Fellow Hastings member here. Sounds like a fun day! Maybe I'll see you there this season. We usually hunt a couple Sundays and a couple weekends and wrap up our season. We don't start our season until the Salmon get really dark lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

SteelyMan
10-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Don't get no better than that ,,,,,,, I had to work all day.

Waterdog
10-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Thatís one of the nice things about retirement, I hunt and fish when I want , usually during the week when there are fewer about.

NevadaWalt
10-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Wish we had pheasants in Nevada, only those miserable chukar. I agree the best part of hunting is watching my partner, my dog.