PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Cats at Camp Far West

jtk25
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I made an afternoon trip to Camp Far West on Monday so the family could swim and of course I could fish. I started off fishing the flats near the boat launch and it didn't take long to get some action. I had something try to take my pole in the water, but I had my drag set too light with 8 lb test to set the hook good.

My daughter was getting hot and tired so we headed to a shadier spot with only about 45 minutes of fishing time. I found a cove that looked to be good and muddy, with the wakeboards churning up some more with each pass. It didn't take but 15 minutes for the poles to start bobbing. I had one on for a short time but he/she headed right for me and I couldn't catch up so another won its freedom. After baiting up several times I finally got one to stick and the fight was on. My family was excited because they wanted to leave, but I told them " Don't get too excited I could lose this one too. He can break my line or run me into some rocks!" I won this time landing the hard fighter with out too much trouble.

All in all the bite was steady coming on worms, but the harder hits coming on sardines. There were plenty of fish ( bass and cats ) jumping in the 3+ hours I was fishing. I'm definitely going to go back with out the whinny crew so I can go after some larger fish.

Here's a happy cat for the fryer:
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/524/medium/DSCN50281.JPG

sacfishinfool
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
That totally answers the question I asked about a month ago whether or not there were cats in that lake! That is good news! Worms and sardines are working out there...did you try chicken livers at all?

Thank you very much for the report! ;)

jtk25
07-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I tried the liver for a short time, but the bite was just too good on the worms and sardines for me to sit and experiment for more than 15 or 20 minutes.

MB_Kevin
07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm definitely going to go back with out the whinny crew so I can go after some larger fish.
I know how that is. Great report.

mrsockeye
07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Good post and nice pic of a happy cat headed to the cathouse (fryin pan). How far is that from Sac? I hear there is a lot of bullfrogs in there too, one of my favorite delicacies. Take a guess what color my neck is? RED!!!!

jtk25
07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Camp Far West is about 20 minutes north east of Lincoln off of Highway 65. There are signs that will direct to the lake after you exit Lincoln. With no traffic through Roseville and Lincoln its only about 40 minutes from downtown Sac.