PDA

View Full Version : Hair Threading

sacfishinfool
07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't understand the art of hair threading for carp. Is it the best way to rig for carp...? I was using some cornmeal balls today and I kept getting good hits, but never could hook anything...they kept stealing my bait. At first I was using a treble hook, but it seemed like they were just picking it up and dropping it so I changed to a smaller single hook and put the cornmeal right on the hook...should have I used a hair thread instead? From looking at a hair thread rig it seems like they wouldnt get the hook in there mouth...? Anyone know more about this that could shed some light? :-/

raymac
07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
on the web go to www.ohfishing.com/tips/carptips.hmtshould give you the information you are seeking and more. Check out other carp websites. Its a whole new ball game.

sacfishinfool
07-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Yea, it is very different, thank you for the link! I appreciate it. ;)

surge
07-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi
carp is one of those fish that will hook them self. You dont need to set the hook, let it enjoy its meal. Carp is so relaxed fish when it eats that bait, but when it feels the sting with that hook it will take off like a speeding bullet. Be ready because your pole is bye bye if your not. I use a catfish rig, #2/0 hook, 2ft leader and a 1 oz weight. It works great anywhere you go thrust me.

BIG_ONE
07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi
carp is one of those fish that will hook them self. You dont need to set the hook, let it enjoy its meal. Carp is so relaxed fish when it eats that bait, but when it feels the sting with that hook it will take off like a speeding bullet. Be ready because your pole is bye bye if your not. I use a catfish rig, #2/0 hook, 2ft leader and a 1 oz weight. It works great anywhere you go thrust me.

Yep, like what surge said, just let them enjoy, they will tap for a long amount of time, and you may think its gone, be patient, it hasn't even gone inside its mouth that makes the corn drop, its like using their lip to taste it, once its inside their mouth, your gonna see a giant yank of that rod, and be set and ready once they start tapping but just let it tap, it may be a 10min long time, patient, and then next is not going to be a tap and FISH ON!!! ;D :D ;)

sacfishinfool
07-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Surge_De_Catch and Big_One, thank you for your input!
That has been my mistake. I see them tapping on the line and am quick to try to set the hook. Next time I will just wait till my pole takes off.
So, when you use the #2/0 hook, you have no problem with the cornmeal coming off of the hook?

raymac
07-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Hook sizes recamended #1 and smaller. Carp don't have a large mouth. In the process of feeding they suck in and blow out. That is one way the hook gets lodged in their inter jaw. They have a set of crunchers in the back of their mouths that break up the hard items they suck in. Try a corn tortilla dough mix.
Break tortilla into small pieces. add a little liquid ( I mix with my hands) untill you have a paste like dough. Add a little masa to make it bind. Keep kneeding untill you have a plyable dough. I store mine in a ziploc in the frig untill I go fishing. Make a ball about the size of a quarter or a bit smaller. place around a #1 thru 4 hook. can be free lined or use a slideing sinker set up. Just the tip of the ice berg.

BIG_ONE
07-14-2008, 04:04 AM
Hey Surge_De_Catch and Big_One, thank you for your input!
That has been my mistake. I see them tapping on the line and am quick to try to set the hook. Next time I will just wait till my pole takes off.
So, when you use the #2/0 hook, you have no problem with the cornmeal coming off of the hook?

You'll do just fine with #2 hook, best if you use the #2 instead of the #1, never know when that big momma is going to hit! And yes they'll stay on the hook pretty well, make sure you got lots of SUGAR and HONEY in it then you'll do fine, adding other stuff is your choice ;)
Believe it or not, i've seen local fisherman putting salt, their corn is very salty and actually catching them :o ;D

surge
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I also like to put a little piece of crust on the hook and then wrap the corn meal round it. That will hold it on for sure. *You can get the crust from bread, just let the crust from the bread sit in the sun for a day and it will dry up , "you can not toast it in the toaster" Then break a little piece and put it on the hook, it may break when you stick the hook thru, but get another piece, then wrap around it with the corn meal. You just have to figure it out. Remeber to cook that corn meal around 5 min on middium and then on cook it on high tell its rubbery looking. you need cornmeal and flower and sugar, three main ingridents to make it sticky. 1 cup of cornmeal, 1/4 of flower and 1/4 sugar.